1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Window Tint Durability/Care

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by YoterHead, Feb 25, 2010.

1. Feb 25, 2010 at 4:21 PM
    YoterHead

YoterHead [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I did search, and all of the threads I found were about how dark it is legal to tint or the cost.

I'm thinking of getting my front side windows of my passenger cab tinted to 20% this weekend. I've never had a car with aftermarket tint before. I'm having this professionally done and they have a lifetime warranty on their tints, so I'm not worried about fading/cracking.

I want to know how well aftermarket tints hold up? I know not to clean them with ammonia etc. If they're done right, do they last as long as the truck or just a couple of years? Are they easily scratched?

I always hate seeing cars with bubbled or purple tints, so I just want to avoid that. I know I can remove it if it happens, but it sounds like a pain. There are a ton of pictures on here of people's new tint jobs, but its hard to pick out the tints that are 3+ years old or so. Thanks for the help.

2. Feb 25, 2010 at 4:25 PM
    xmixpixx

xmixpixx Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    05 SR5 TRD Off Road 6 spd
    If it is being professionally done you should not have to worry about bubbles.. That is usually a DIY tint job.. I had 15 percent on my front windows until I got a nice ticket for it the other day, so I had to have it removed and go to court in March to show I had it removed. I bought my truck as a certified pre-owned and it came with the tint on it. I am not sure how old the tint was, but my truck is an 05, and the tint looked brand new..

3. Feb 25, 2010 at 4:25 PM
    StormTrooper

StormTrooper Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    08 Base Flowmaster Super 44 w/ K&N drop in
    Bed Cap,K&N Air Filter,Chrome Pieces,Flowmaster Exhaust,Neon on inside, Heavy Duty Custom Floormats ( Tacoma ), Tint 20%, Blue license plate lights, Various decals, LED Projector Halos headlights, JVC head unit stereo

#1 thing.. dont let the metal part of the seat belt hit it.. this is very common in scratching it. ive had mine for atleast 5 months now... no visibale bubbles or scratches. good luck

4. Feb 25, 2010 at 4:37 PM
    l_prettyman

l_prettyman Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Logan
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    18 TRD Offroad
    i've tinted for a few years, my dad tinted for 20 years, and from my experience and his they last a long time if you dont scrap them with sharp objects. my friends car has had the same tint on for 10 years and had barely faded. good luck

Products Discussed in

To Top