Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

ABS disable mod for 05+ Tacomas w/o VSC & locking diff write up *pics*

Old 02-26-2010, 03:30 PM   #1
rodstone is a name known to allrodstone is a name known to allrodstone is a name known to allrodstone is a name known to allrodstone is a name known to allrodstone is a name known to all

Name: Travis
rodstone's Tacoma Gallery
ABS disable mod for 05+ Tacomas w/o VSC & locking diff write up *pics*

Here it is.....
Materials used:
-switch (of your choice) (I chose to use a covered race toggle switch)
-20ga wire (around 10ft.)
-conduit
-heat shrink
-solder
-solder pencil
-electrical connectors (I used small circle connectors to connect to switch)
-electrical tape
-zip ties

This mod opens the circuit from the brake light switch to the ABS ECU so that the ABS ECU doesn't know that you are stepping on the brakes and tries to compensate the difference in wheel spin and lock up by activating the ABS pump. With out the signal from the brake switch the ABS will not activate.

First off, I recommend disconnecting the battery when doing any kind of electrical modification.

Disconnect the ABS harness from the ABS ECU. To do so, use a small flat head screwdriver and gently pry up the white harness lock. As you pull the lock up the harness will pretty much disconnect itself from the ECU.

Remove the factory conduit and electrical tape around the wires to the harness. Next locate the blue signal wire from the brake switch, fyi there are 2 blue wires going the harness, the correct one goes to terminal 14, it will be between a white wire and yellow wire.

Fish that wire out towards away from the harness connector.

Cut the wire and strip the ends.

Solder/splice 20ga wire to each end of the blue wire you just cut and run them along the firewall, above the brake booster and down through the rubber grommet into the cab.
*Remember to heat shrink wrap the soldered joints*
(I forgot to take pictures for this part but I don't think you guys need them)

These are the connectors I used to connect wires to switch (I like these because they can be soldered and crimped). I also heat shrinked those as well (not the whole thing of course)

Here is the switch and location. I had to cut a notch in the threads so that I could flip the switch over since off is on(ABS disabled) and on is off(ABS enabled. Or you can think of it this way off-ABS off and on-ABS on

Connect the wires to the switch and that's pretty much it. I recommend covering the wires from the ABS ECU to the cab with conduit and wrap it with electrical tape. Here are some pics of the finished and cleaned up job.

This one is under the dash (conduit covers wires coming from engine bay)

If done correctly you will not blow any fuses or melt any wires. I don't mind this part, but the ABS light will come on on the dash when you open the circuit with the switch (off), it's like a reminder that I flipped the switch. It will stay on til you turn your truck off but next time you start your truck with the switch closed the ABS light will be off.

I hope this help you guys that have been looking forward to doing this to your trucks. And I hope I was clear on everything and didn't confuse anyone (to me this is a very simple method and I am really surprised it hasn't been done yet) Feel free to ask me any questions you may have.

This method is everything I was looking for for this mod (no blown fuses, no melted wires, no pulling a fuse everytime I want to disable, just flip a switch when I get on the dirt/snow.

Sorry again about forgetting to take more pics during the install.
Old 02-26-2010, 03:34 PM   #2
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
nice right up, I will be doing this soon, the abs sucks offroading +1 Rep for you
Old 02-26-2010, 03:48 PM   #3
rodstone is a name known to allrodstone is a name known to allrodstone is a name known to allrodstone is a name known to allrodstone is a name known to allrodstone is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmrider View Post
nice right up, I will be doing this soon, the abs sucks offroading +1 Rep for you
Thank you! Yes, ABS is horrible on the dirt (I always felt like it was doing more harm than actually helping).

Sticky material?
Old 02-26-2010, 03:52 PM   #4
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
Yea this should definitly be added to cheap/diy mods. I was going to look at some property and i was under control of the truck but it locked up and i could not stop the truck for like 4 feet, there was nothing if front of me but like its pretty bad.
Old 02-26-2010, 03:54 PM   #5

Forgot the mention that I wrapped the entire conduit from the ABS ECU to the engine harness grommet in electrical tape and zip tied it to the harness that runs along the firewall (you can see in the picture)
Old 02-26-2010, 04:04 PM   #6
Bryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryan
Bryan07sport's Tacoma Gallery
howdy. rodstone and I have been brainstorming this idea for awhile (though its all his idea). i tried it tonight as well and works great. the abs light comes on once you hit the brakes but is reset once you turn the car on and off. (you cannot turn the abs back on on the fly without shutting the car off.) i tried the same snowy part of my street with and without abs and it was amazing without! the only difference is where i tied my wire in. i did it right above the grommet through the firewall where the wire bundle bends down from near the windshield wiper and down. (i'll take a pic of this. Thanks Travis!
Old 02-26-2010, 04:09 PM   #7
Proud to be Canadian Navy
crittergitter is just really nicecrittergitter is just really nicecrittergitter is just really nicecrittergitter is just really nicecrittergitter is just really nice

Name: Stu
crittergitter's Tacoma Gallery
Great write-up. Hey Rod, do you know if this will work on the 4.0l?
Old 02-26-2010, 05:00 PM   #8
Buy the Ticket take the Ride.....
Mr_Torque is a jewel in the roughMr_Torque is a jewel in the roughMr_Torque is a jewel in the roughMr_Torque is a jewel in the rough

Mr_Torque's Tacoma Gallery
Great solution. I can't wait to do this after sliding an extra 10 feet everytime a had to brake on a downhill slope in the snow today. Thanks!
Old 02-26-2010, 05:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan07sport View Post
howdy. rodstone and I have been brainstorming this idea for awhile (though its all his idea). i tried it tonight as well and works great. the abs light comes on once you hit the brakes but is reset once you turn the car on and off. (you cannot turn the abs back on on the fly without shutting the car off.) i tried the same snowy part of my street with and without abs and it was amazing without! the only difference is where i tied my wire in. i did it right above the grommet through the firewall where the wire bundle bends down from near the windshield wiper and down. (i'll take a pic of this. Thanks Travis!
Wow that was quick Bryan! Like he said, only down fall is the abs light stays on even when you flip the switch the enable the abs back on on the fly, but resets when you turn the truck off and restart it. (to me it's not much of a downfall at all, kind of a reminder and its pretty much what I was expecting to happen).
The only problem I can tell by the wiring diagram is that if you tie into the circuit there you could be losing your brake lights as well(as long as you get the wire going to the ABS ECU you're fine), that's why I opted to do it where I did. I'm glad it you were able to do it too and before the weather got bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crittergitter View Post
Great write-up. Hey Rod, do you know if this will work on the 4.0l?
As long as you don't have VSC or a locking diff, this method will work just fine for the 4.0l. There is another way of doing this mod if you do have VSC/locking diff.
My name is Travis by the way, Rod is cool just as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Torque View Post
Great solution. I can't wait to do this after sliding an extra 10 feet everytime a had to brake on a downhill slope in the snow today. Thanks!
I'm glad that this will be of service to you! It is definitely needed in cases like yours.

User beware tho, use at your own risk and be experienced without ABS. Disabling ABS will cause your wheels to lock up and you could potentially slide even more. For experienced drivers this can help you keep control of the braking.
Old 02-26-2010, 06:35 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klipp11 View Post
good job! i just pulled the abs fuse, but i'll have to do it properly like you
Yah, That's what everyone would tell me to do but I didn't want to have to do that every time I hit the dirt. Plus I finally got to make use of one of the empty switch pods. I'm saving the rest for some hellas, a whole lot of them too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch'nComa13 View Post
Awesome write up! Two thumbs for you!!
Thank you, thank you!
Old 02-26-2010, 06:36 PM   #13
BH15001 will become famous soon enough
BH15001's Tacoma Gallery
Great write up. Does this affect the track system or LSD in 2WD?
Old 02-26-2010, 06:48 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH15001 View Post
Great write up. Does this affect the track system or LSD in 2WD?
I'm not sure. I know that there is a different method of bypassing the 4lo signal to ABS ecu for the trucks with VSC or locking diff (4wd) (ABS is disabled in 4lo naturally). So the other method would just make the ABS ECU think the truck is in 4lo when actually you are in any gear or wheel drive you want to be. A little more tech for those trucks. A big part of me thinks that this method would work for those truck as well....just need to look at the wire diagram some more. Don't quote me if I'm wrong tho.
Old 02-27-2010, 03:28 PM   #15
Bryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Hey this is where I tied into the blue wire. right at the bend. I have wrapped black tape all the way now to hide the red wires. Same mod as above, just tied in earlier. Don't have to run wires across the engine this way. Same functions, brake lights still work. Thanks again rodstone (travis) for coming up with such a simple idea that had obviously been overlooked.
Old 02-27-2010, 03:36 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodstone View Post
I'm not sure. I know that there is a different method of bypassing the 4lo signal to ABS ecu for the trucks with VSC or locking diff (4wd) (ABS is disabled in 4lo naturally). So the other method would just make the ABS ECU think the truck is in 4lo when actually you are in any gear or wheel drive you want to be. A little more tech for those trucks. A big part of me thinks that this method would work for those truck as well....just need to look at the wire diagram some more. Don't quote me if I'm wrong tho.
I had a 4.0 4runner Limited before this and it had ABS/TRAC/VSC and I think in that when the abs was disabled, the other stuff was as well. So the only thing that may happen is when you flip this switch you lose all that stuff until you reset the ignition. But if i was in a situation where i wanted to disable ABS, id want to disable the other stuff as well.

in lamans (sp?) terms this blue wire comes off your brake pedal and tells the abs to turn on and start checking stuff once you apply the brakes. opening this circuit makes it so the abs never recieves the signal from the brakes to activate.
Old 05-25-2010, 05:18 PM   #17
NicP has much to be proud ofNicP has much to be proud ofNicP has much to be proud ofNicP has much to be proud ofNicP has much to be proud ofNicP has much to be proud ofNicP has much to be proud ofNicP has much to be proud of
Name: Nic
NicP's Tacoma Gallery
About the ABS disable MOD??
In this write up you split the line and put in on the switch and according to Travis no blown fuse or alarger amp needed.
In other write ups they say splice in and ground the line with a switch.
Is this the way (splice) that causes the popped fuse?
Is it better to seperate the line and just put it on the switch? And is there any problem doing this with the Sports sinsce they have LSD (but still ABS)? I found the wire in the harness but just want to make sure it will work on my 05 sport.
So Splice or cut and put switch in line? Which way is correct?
Old 05-25-2010, 05:38 PM   #18
Screw your MPG's
jacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jacob
jacob_wood's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to jacob_wood
subbed.
Old 05-25-2010, 06:16 PM   #19
YGWYPF
RainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Naval Aviator
RainDodger's Tacoma Gallery
I'm sure that bunches of us would also like to know if this mod is working on newer trucks, like '09+. I'd suspect it will.

I've been pulling the ABS fuse, which also kills the VSC. I'd bet this mod would do the same.

Does anyone know for sure?
Old 05-26-2010, 07:15 AM   #20
NicP has much to be proud ofNicP has much to be proud ofNicP has much to be proud ofNicP has much to be proud ofNicP has much to be proud ofNicP has much to be proud ofNicP has much to be proud ofNicP has much to be proud of
Name: Nic
NicP's Tacoma Gallery
BUMP
Any one know?
Splice the ground OR inline switch?
Both TacoGrande and Travis have no problems with both techniques but somone had multiple fuse popps with the ground technique.
I don't want to cut if I can just tap in to the line