1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

hood scoop

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by SPUDTRK, Apr 13, 2008.

1. Apr 13, 2008 at 4:08 AM
    SPUDTRK

SPUDTRK [OP] New Member

Member:
    virginia beach va
    Vehicle:
    06 4DR V6 prerunner TRD
    Just got my Tacoma , and was wondering the easiest way to remove the plastic inside the hood scoop so air can flow directly into the engine, inside of just looking the part. Also is that a good Idea?

2. Apr 13, 2008 at 4:25 AM
    MurphMan

MurphMan Senility Rocks!

Member:
    First Name:
    Murph
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    '08 Tacoma TRD Sport
    * AFE Stage 2 XP CAI System * Westin Platinum Series Black Step Bars * TruXedo Lo Pro QT Soft Roll-Up Tonneau * Dee Zee Heavyweight Truck Bed Mat * WeatherTech Extreme-Duty Floor Liners * WeatherTech In-Channel Window Visors * Sony Xplod CDX-GT81UW Receiver * Sony Xplod 2-way speakers * Boss Audio BASS600 Amplified Subwoofer * Billet Grille Mod
    I certainly thought about it as well. Two issues to think about. First - rain. Do you really want all that excess water getting into the engine? That was the reason for the old induction style scoops of the 60s and 70s.

The other is why? Looking at the air intake system, it pulls from the fender, not the engine compartment. So the gain in cooler air would go unnoticed to the engine's intake system.

No bang for the buck here. But it does look sweet...

Now for a pipe-dream: a cable actuated louver on the scoop that could close it during rains. Then when open, have a special channeling that directs the air into a closed cold air intake system - like the ram effect of a carb system. Now that would be kewl. (pun intended) :)

3. Apr 13, 2008 at 6:09 AM
    Cburt

Cburt Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4x4, White
    None currently,
    The scoop is just cosmetic bling, and it would cost a small fortune to refabricate it to actually work and to be honest, it wouldn't give much a a boost or improvement in power over the stock fender location. IMO
    Might not be enough room to make the hood scoop functional, and lastly just opening up the scoop wouldn't help the engine stay cooler, or provide air, it would just expose the engine / electricals to the elements.

4. Apr 13, 2008 at 8:45 AM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    i've had mine open for months and nothin ghas gone wrong. the way its set up, it'll just allow air to flow over the engine cover, then down behind the engine...so at driving speeds, i figure that if nothing else, it'll push warm air out the back/bottom of the compartment.

but as for the OP, just take out the 6 screws under the hood, and remove the plastic rivets to take out the plastic backing, but leave the screen

5. Apr 13, 2008 at 10:17 AM
    TACOROCK

TACOROCK Well-Known Member

Member:
    FAYETTEVILLE NC
    Vehicle:
    06 TACOMA LIFTED
    URD SUPERCHARGER 80MM PULLEY, DOUG THORLEY LONG TUBE HEADERS, MODIFIED Y-PIPE, TRUE DUAL EXHAUST MAGNAFLOW 2 IN 2 OUT, PRO COMP 6" LIFT, WIDEBAND 02/FUEL SENSOR, AVIC D3, 2 PIONEER SUBS ON A MEMPHIS 1200 WATT AMP RMS, DIY MOD FOR ALL INTERIOR SPEAKERS FULL TINT, LEER CAMPER, EURO LIGHTS, BILLET GRILL, BULL BAR WESTIN RUNNING BARS, AIR HORN, AND A RADIATOR POPPER
    ok.... well heres a lil info for you take it or leave it....
    ok on my mustang at a dyno ive tried both ways.... engines are dropped in certain frames with alot of study going into it!! i lost 4 hp from 398 first pull to 394 on my second pull on the dyno. just having the pressure changed in the engine compartment... really no change for the better! if you see or know differently let me know

6. Apr 13, 2008 at 10:46 AM
    ChrisDeSoup

ChrisDeSoup Come on, Touch it......

Member:
    Up in ya
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Double Cab PreRunner Sport
    Seatbelt Ding Mod All Weather Mats Gate Lock MOD Rear Spring TSB
    Why is that a pipe dream??? Could order a ram air cable from year one or summit (one of the changes lots of 69 le mans owners used to convert to Judge clones....bastard look-a-likes) and fab the louvers behind the screen.....I wouldn't do it but seems easy enough with the right tools.

7. Apr 13, 2008 at 4:37 PM
    MurphMan

MurphMan Senility Rocks!

Member:
    First Name:
    Murph
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    '08 Tacoma TRD Sport
    * AFE Stage 2 XP CAI System * Westin Platinum Series Black Step Bars * TruXedo Lo Pro QT Soft Roll-Up Tonneau * Dee Zee Heavyweight Truck Bed Mat * WeatherTech Extreme-Duty Floor Liners * WeatherTech In-Channel Window Visors * Sony Xplod CDX-GT81UW Receiver * Sony Xplod 2-way speakers * Boss Audio BASS600 Amplified Subwoofer * Billet Grille Mod
    Maybe someday if I have time and energy to tackle it. Meanwhile I'll wait for the kit. lol!

8. Apr 13, 2008 at 8:37 PM
    ChrisDeSoup

Member:
    Up in ya
    Vehicle:

For sure, I'm gunna wait till the sucker is paid off before I start cutting into her.

9. Apr 13, 2008 at 9:18 PM
    Bubba-Jet

Bubba-Jet Active Member

Member:
    Wyano PA.
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma SR5 TRD 4X4 Sport
    Removed Secondary Air Filter,Tacomaworld Sticker,Wade In-Channel wind deflectors,Fumoto 12mm.F103N Engine Oil Drain Valve,Home Cast Bed Tie-downs
    Ive begun exact project youve described . Look at how the truck gets its air originally.Sharkfins inside wheelwell , it cant be good picking up all roadspray like they do. Let it breathe it worked on My old 99 Dodge dakota ,When I was a Young pup I had a 71GTO and ramed its hoodscoops, Sure miss that car.

10. Apr 13, 2008 at 9:45 PM
    ChrisDeSoup

Member:
    Up in ya
    Vehicle:
    No Freaking Way! Dude you have to post photo's of your project. I was kicking ideas around about how to get the air from the scoop to the filter. If you had a 71 goat (I helped my dad rebuild a 69 Judge HO) you already know how the louver and cable should look. After I made the post I was thinking the hood scoop with louvers could only serve as a cool novelty with no realistic use. The only realistic and efficient way to force air is through the wheel well or an inlet behind the grill but in front (or above) of the radi. After some thought I think the logistical challenges would keep me from this project. But if you do can pull it off I might reconsider!!!! Good Luck

11. Apr 14, 2008 at 3:44 PM
    MurphMan

MurphMan Senility Rocks!

Member:
    First Name:
    Murph
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    '08 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Heh... and I went out to tow back a buddy in his '69 442 with a scoop the size of a suitcase on his hood. Seems the ram air rammed rain down the all 4 barrels drowning it. Didn't help he was pushing 80 down the road. lol! Ah the days...

I'm not sure the feasibility of using the hood scoop as it sits back too far. More I look at it the more I wonder if air would even flow through it properly. Might have better luck drawing it through the grill or underneath. Still, would crank up the cool factor if it can be down.

12. Apr 14, 2008 at 6:03 PM
    Bubba-Jet

Bubba-Jet Active Member

Member:
    Wyano PA.
    Vehicle:
    Removed Secondary Air Filter,Tacomaworld Sticker,Wade In-Channel wind deflectors,Fumoto 12mm.F103N Engine Oil Drain Valve,Home Cast Bed Tie-downs
    As soon as my sons Jetta unhibernates from my garage .I'm making 4 tie downs for the bed aka cast Aluminum.Cant give Toyota another $100.00 . I really feel that giving it more air will give me some improved mileage I sure need it 16 MPG is the best Ive had and its at 15000 miles already .

13. Apr 14, 2008 at 6:46 PM
    06tacoma

06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tampa FL
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner SR5 XS-P Trd Longbed Double Cab
    20" enkei wheel,BFG G-Force tires, BHLM, Smoked tail lights, 2 RE Audio 10s, Quantom 900watt amp,10000K HIDs headlights and fog lamps,Borla exhaust, Borla drop in filter,Debadged tailgate,Painted black tacoma badges
  14. Oct 5, 2008 at 2:44 PM
    Bubba-Jet

Bubba-Jet Active Member

Member:
    Wyano PA.
    Vehicle:
  15. Oct 5, 2008 at 2:50 PM
    RoyB

RoyB Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chicago burbs
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD DC Sport
    just create some baffles and it will keep the rain out.

16. Oct 6, 2008 at 8:00 AM
    Agent475

Agent475 "Mark It Zero"

Member:
    Waldorf, MD
    Vehicle:
    2006 Red TRD Sport
    Hood Struts, 3" Tuff Country Lift, Shortie Antenna, WeatherTechs, Tinted front windows, custom TRD seat covers, custom pedals, debadged, custom USMC badging, quasi-functional hoodscoop (i.e. I cut it open), black front Yota emblem, Tailgate Theft-Prevention mod, Horn Relocation mod, Old Man Emu Carrier Bearing Drop, Brighter Backup Lights Mod, Smittybilt Reciever Hitch Tow Point, currently working on Satoshi Grill Mod
    I trimmed mine out with a Dremmel.

Products Discussed in

To Top