Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

hood scoop

Old 04-13-2008, 04:08 AM   #1
SPUDTRK is on a distinguished road
Navy: E-4  PO3
SPUDTRK's Tacoma Gallery
hood scoop

Just got my Tacoma , and was wondering the easiest way to remove the plastic inside the hood scoop so air can flow directly into the engine, inside of just looking the part. Also is that a good Idea?
Old 04-13-2008, 04:25 AM   #2
Senility Rocks!
MurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Murph
MurphMan's Tacoma Gallery
I certainly thought about it as well. Two issues to think about. First - rain. Do you really want all that excess water getting into the engine? That was the reason for the old induction style scoops of the 60s and 70s.

The other is why? Looking at the air intake system, it pulls from the fender, not the engine compartment. So the gain in cooler air would go unnoticed to the engine's intake system.

No bang for the buck here. But it does look sweet...

Now for a pipe-dream: a cable actuated louver on the scoop that could close it during rains. Then when open, have a special channeling that directs the air into a closed cold air intake system - like the ram effect of a carb system. Now that would be kewl. (pun intended)
Old 04-13-2008, 06:09 AM   #3
Cburt is on a distinguished road
Cburt's Tacoma Gallery
The scoop is just cosmetic bling, and it would cost a small fortune to refabricate it to actually work and to be honest, it wouldn't give much a a boost or improvement in power over the stock fender location. IMO
Might not be enough room to make the hood scoop functional, and lastly just opening up the scoop wouldn't help the engine stay cooler, or provide air, it would just expose the engine / electricals to the elements.
Old 04-13-2008, 08:45 AM   #4
Sometimes I drink water...
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
i've had mine open for months and nothin ghas gone wrong. the way its set up, it'll just allow air to flow over the engine cover, then down behind the engine...so at driving speeds, i figure that if nothing else, it'll push warm air out the back/bottom of the compartment.

but as for the OP, just take out the 6 screws under the hood, and remove the plastic rivets to take out the plastic backing, but leave the screen
Old 04-13-2008, 10:17 AM   #5
TACOROCK is an unknown quantity at this point

TACOROCK's Tacoma Gallery
hood scoop

ok.... well heres a lil info for you take it or leave it....
ok on my mustang at a dyno ive tried both ways.... engines are dropped in certain frames with alot of study going into it!! i lost 4 hp from 398 first pull to 394 on my second pull on the dyno. just having the pressure changed in the engine compartment... really no change for the better! if you see or know differently let me know
Old 04-13-2008, 10:46 AM   #6
Come on, Touch it......
ChrisDeSoup will become famous soon enough

ChrisDeSoup's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphMan View Post

Now for a pipe-dream: a cable actuated louver on the scoop that could close it during rains. Then when open, have a special channeling that directs the air into a closed cold air intake system - like the ram effect of a carb system. Now that would be kewl. (pun intended)
Why is that a pipe dream??? Could order a ram air cable from year one or summit (one of the changes lots of 69 le mans owners used to convert to Judge clones....bastard look-a-likes) and fab the louvers behind the screen.....I wouldn't do it but seems easy enough with the right tools.
Old 04-13-2008, 04:37 PM   #7
Senility Rocks!
MurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Maybe someday if I have time and energy to tackle it. Meanwhile I'll wait for the kit. lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisDeSoup View Post
I wouldn't do it but seems easy enough with the right tools.
Old 04-13-2008, 08:37 PM   #8
Come on, Touch it......

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphMan View Post
Maybe someday if I have time and energy to tackle it. Meanwhile I'll wait for the kit. lol!

For sure, I'm gunna wait till the sucker is paid off before I start cutting into her.
Old 04-13-2008, 09:18 PM   #9
Bubba-Jet is on a distinguished road

Bubba-Jet's Tacoma Gallery
MurphMan Mindreader?

Ive begun exact project youve described . Look at how the truck gets its air originally.Sharkfins inside wheelwell , it cant be good picking up all roadspray like they do. Let it breathe it worked on My old 99 Dodge dakota ,When I was a Young pup I had a 71GTO and ramed its hoodscoops, Sure miss that car.
Old 04-13-2008, 09:45 PM   #10
Come on, Touch it......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba-Jet View Post
Ive begun exact project youve described . Look at how the truck gets its air originally.Sharkfins inside wheelwell , it cant be good picking up all roadspray like they do. Let it breathe it worked on My old 99 Dodge dakota ,When I was a Young pup I had a 71GTO and ramed its hoodscoops, Sure miss that car.
No Freaking Way! Dude you have to post photo's of your project. I was kicking ideas around about how to get the air from the scoop to the filter. If you had a 71 goat (I helped my dad rebuild a 69 Judge HO) you already know how the louver and cable should look. After I made the post I was thinking the hood scoop with louvers could only serve as a cool novelty with no realistic use. The only realistic and efficient way to force air is through the wheel well or an inlet behind the grill but in front (or above) of the radi. After some thought I think the logistical challenges would keep me from this project. But if you do can pull it off I might reconsider!!!! Good Luck
Old 04-14-2008, 03:44 PM   #11
Senility Rocks!

Heh... and I went out to tow back a buddy in his '69 442 with a scoop the size of a suitcase on his hood. Seems the ram air rammed rain down the all 4 barrels drowning it. Didn't help he was pushing 80 down the road. lol! Ah the days...

I'm not sure the feasibility of using the hood scoop as it sits back too far. More I look at it the more I wonder if air would even flow through it properly. Might have better luck drawing it through the grill or underneath. Still, would crank up the cool factor if it can be down.

Quote:
Old 04-14-2008, 06:03 PM   #12

As soon as my sons Jetta unhibernates from my garage .I'm making 4 tie downs for the bed aka cast Aluminum.Cant give Toyota another $100.00 . I really feel that giving it more air will give me some improved mileage I sure need it 16 MPG is the best Ive had and its at 15000 miles already .
Old 10-05-2008, 02:44 PM   #14

Made of Aluminum

Quote:
As soon as my sons Jetta unhibernates from my garage .I'm making 4 tie downs for the bed aka cast Aluminum.Cant give Toyota another $100.00 . I really feel that giving it more air will give me some improved mileage I sure need it 16 MPG is the best Ive had and its at 15000 miles already .
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/att...1&d=1223243068

Hoodscoop is Next!
Attached Thumbnails
hood scoop-oct03141.jpg  
Old 10-05-2008, 02:50 PM   #15
RoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shed
RoyB's Tacoma Gallery
just create some baffles and it will keep the rain out.