1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

flowmaster muffler = good power increase!!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by red neck toy, Feb 26, 2010.

1. Feb 27, 2010 at 5:40 PM
    Front sight

Front sight Well-Known Member

Member:
    SW Florida
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner TRD Sport
    Full OME 3"lift, LR UCA's,Destination 285/70/17's, 1.25 spidertrax, K&N drop in, 2nd filter removed, Weathertech liners, Toyota bed mat, reverse lights,Wet Oklee's, bedlights and other small stuff.
    I don't agree. There is more on the table to be had. Some mods give more then others.

They program the engine to run safe in all weather conditions and temps. With crappy fuel, under load- towing, etc. They don't tune for optimum power or mpg's. They tune with a large window of "safety" . Many people with the Apexi's have shown great gains with just a "retune" dyno tune.. You can dial in your a/f ratio's and get more power and mpg's.

An electric rad. fan will yeild more power and mpg's. A mod MANY people have taken advantage of with dyno proof. Check any Mustang forum. Yes, dif vehicle's but a fan swap is a fan swap.

Underdive pullies are another. Granted, most do not want that on a truck, for fear of over heating or undercharging the battery. But if you run the 1/4 in stead of the trail, it's a legit mod that will give you more power and mpg's. I installed my udp at the track in my ld stang and my e.t. dropped 2/10's. Same 60', and I gained a mph.

To say that a stock Tacoma is as good as it gets is silly. Check out the x runners. The modded one's run lower e.t.'s then the stock ones. There are speed parts out there that do work.
    Flow bastards aren't one of them. But the sure sound good.

Whooo end rant.

2. Feb 28, 2010 at 6:20 AM
    MurphyZ

MurphyZ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    I HATE SPICYTACOS
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    97 4runner, 08 Tundy
    89 SAS 3.4 1st gen 4runner- Sold 3.4 swap cut hood for clearance exhaust x-over and magnaflow muffler lockright in the rear SAS 83 toy axle (Wab-Fab) 4xinnovations sliders roof rack from 2nd gen for kayak.
    quick question, how much over the already high msrp would the price be with dealership labor rates be??? 35k,40,45k?a 6in procomp lift dealership installed on a 09 TACOMA was 42-47k on the lot in kingman AZ(now in Lake Havasu) so to entertain your thought-if you want to put mods on that only work under certain situations, why do the trucks not all come with the supercharger, muffler,cai,headers,dyno retune,suspension swap,pullies,cam swap,sleeved pistons(you cant even bore them)??? cost to us the consumer.
    they DO need to make a truck that will work as a daily driver, i agree, but headers not engineered my toyota could cause problems,cai might through codes,ecu might not last as long with new parameters,backpressure might not be high enough for towing power(pic a reason) what im getting is they engineered a truck for parameters and they made it the best they could for the parameters. grandpa doesnt need or want a truck that only can run premium and can do a sub 13 quarter mile. nor do i want a truck that needs to be monitored using a computer and gauges to make sure my dyno retune isnt running lean or rich all the time.

engineers do what they do and get bazillions of dollars,(i know my brother is an aircraft engineer) they get a design with parameters
    MPG-15-25
    HP-250-290
    torque-250-290
    weight-3500-4300lbs
    4x4 option, ride quality,
    PRICE 18k-25k produced factory cost
    and then they design the best truck(car, drag racer,jet aircraft) for those parameters-not well if i do this muffler it will give me 2hp maybe under high reving, but cost is $85 and the lift of the muffler is only 4years(not saying this is the case but you get it)

last toyota has had and still has cars and trucks and suvs from the 80's running around
    My uncles father (my g-pa) has a t-100 that he bought brand new when they first came out in whatever year, red standard cab with over 500k miles, he has never put a part into that truck that was not toyota and his reasoning is, my last toyota pickup went over 250k miles before changing any major parts-toyota does it right.

3. Feb 28, 2010 at 7:34 AM
    Front sight

Front sight Well-Known Member

Member:
    SW Florida
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner TRD Sport
    Full OME 3"lift, LR UCA's,Destination 285/70/17's, 1.25 spidertrax, K&N drop in, 2nd filter removed, Weathertech liners, Toyota bed mat, reverse lights,Wet Oklee's, bedlights and other small stuff.
    Ha Ha,

You enjoy your toyota with snake oil, and magical parts. They do it right.:rolleyes:.

There are no Fords, Chevy's, VW's, Honda's with 500k on the clock. They must be doing something wrong.

The stock Blistien's must be better then 5100's because an engineer at Toyota put them on. ;)

It boils down to cost. They slap together parts that will work well enough and will last long enough and still make a profit. EVERY car maker does it the same. Some do a better job and we get a better product.

4. Feb 28, 2010 at 7:49 AM
    MurphyZ

Member:
    First Name:
    I HATE SPICYTACOS
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    97 4runner, 08 Tundy
    89 SAS 3.4 1st gen 4runner- Sold 3.4 swap cut hood for clearance exhaust x-over and magnaflow muffler lockright in the rear SAS 83 toy axle (Wab-Fab) 4xinnovations sliders roof rack from 2nd gen for kayak.
    my name is Murphy and I dont endorse this message, 5100 are better some of the time, but not needed to do off road, again you are trying to make your arguement work, why dont they put fender flares that are better suited to off roading on from the factory... it is not needed but a select group of people will put them on to help with their conditions, same with the supercharger.

again i do think cost is involved,but, trust me when i say the truck will run all day long and do any and all of the tasks that the engineers designed it for. they didnt design it for MAX HP!!!! and 350ftlbs TORQUE and a sub 10sec 1/4mile.

the truck was made for a light duty truck that would be dependable and maintain itself against any and all mid sized trucks on the market.

again if they did it would be in the truck as the TACO-GOD edition and would cost 60k and we would all drool over the impressive stats and oogle the truck, being able to do 400+HP 400+torque 10sec 1/4 and still get 25 on the highway in 4lo, but again that is a truck that will only be made if someone wanted that exact truck with those exact mods in that exact way.

everyone wants sound from mufflers, not for the "9-15HP increase" printed on the box. i got my magnaflow because of the lifetime warrenty and sound. my volant intake because i like the whistle but wanted a sealed box for water crossings, not the "1-4HP increase" printed on that box.

5. Feb 28, 2010 at 7:57 AM
    MurphyZ

Member:
    First Name:
    I HATE SPICYTACOS
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    97 4runner, 08 Tundy
    f150 site
    http://www.f150online.com/forums/ex...78953-how-much-power-gain-magnaflow-cats.html
    mustang site
    http://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2011-mustangs/545121-hp-gain-from-flowmaster-mufflers.html
    and gmc big block
    http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f22/97-gmc-7-4l-flowmaster-exhaust-76998/

most all talk about sound and less then 5HP gain if any.a cat back headers and muffler setup might get some gains but is it worth the extra 1000 for it and then more to install,the answer is maybe, if you like it and want it it makes perfect sense. if it is of no use to you then it is a waste. that is the question that the engineers ask themselves all the time.-from a phone call with my brother

is it worth the extra money vs the gains for all or a majority of our customers-if yes it goes in.-if no then it dont.

6. May 25, 2010 at 12:57 PM
    bigburrito

bigburrito Local Man

Member:
    DuPage County
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD OR
    Demello sliders, fog lights anytime, 265/75R16 Duratracs, 60" HiLift, VIAIR OBA 2.5 gallon tank, FM Super 44, TSB springs, 5100s at .85, bent tailgate

where are ANY dyno sheets? Ive been searching but cant find dyno sheets for nothin. proof is in the pudding

Products Discussed in

To Top