Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Intake, headers, exhaust. What's CA Street legal and what's not?

Old 02-26-2010, 08:40 PM   #1
It's a work in progress.
LeadFootCaliKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadFootCaliKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadFootCaliKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadFootCaliKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadFootCaliKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadFootCaliKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadFootCaliKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadFootCaliKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadFootCaliKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadFootCaliKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadFootCaliKid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
LeadFootCaliKid's Tacoma Gallery
Arrow Intake, headers, exhaust. What's CA Street legal and what's not?

What is CA Street legal? I'm mainly talking about cold air intakes, headers, and exhaust.

I am interested in the aFe Stage 2 Si or the URD "True" Cold Air Intake.
I was told before that no intakes were CA legal.
Doug Thorley LT's. I was before that no headers were CA legal. Recently I was told that DT Shorty's are legal, but the LT's are not.
And I just want to know if there are any restrictions on the exhaust system.

I could have sworn that I already knew the answers to these questions. I have even researched online before and posted threads on TN, but recently I've got people and exhaust shops telling me I'm wrong.

So what am i allowed to have and what's the best buy?

Thanks for clearing up my confusion.
Old 02-27-2010, 12:55 AM   #2
supratrippy is a glorious beacon of lightsupratrippy is a glorious beacon of lightsupratrippy is a glorious beacon of lightsupratrippy is a glorious beacon of lightsupratrippy is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Rex
supratrippy's Tacoma Gallery
there are some intakes that are street legal they come with a carb sticker

not to sure about the doug thorley shorty headers i kno u keep the pre cats when u go that route and the long tube eliminates them
Old 02-27-2010, 01:07 AM   #3
SilverStreak05 is a splendid one to beholdSilverStreak05 is a splendid one to beholdSilverStreak05 is a splendid one to beholdSilverStreak05 is a splendid one to beholdSilverStreak05 is a splendid one to beholdSilverStreak05 is a splendid one to beholdSilverStreak05 is a splendid one to behold
SilverStreak05's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, basically anything that doesn't have a CARB sticker is illegal.

I think you can go on their website and do a search by manufacturer to see if it's passed their certification or whatever.
Old 02-27-2010, 01:11 AM   #4
Tackz is a splendid one to beholdTackz is a splendid one to beholdTackz is a splendid one to beholdTackz is a splendid one to beholdTackz is a splendid one to beholdTackz is a splendid one to beholdTackz is a splendid one to beholdTackz is a splendid one to behold

Tackz's Tacoma Gallery
If a part has a C.A.R.B. #, it is legal. Meaning it has been approved by the DOT & Sacramento. However, this doesn't mean all cops will give a shit. If they feel like it, they can give you a ticket anyway, just to put you through the hassle & expense of dealing with it. As far as smogs go, best go stock. Bottom line is, often times in CA, you ask 10 people 10 questions and you'll get 10 different answers. But usually the CARB # will stand up.
Old 02-27-2010, 09:28 AM   #5
It's a work in progress.
LeadFootCaliKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadFootCaliKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadFootCaliKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadFootCaliKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadFootCaliKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadFootCaliKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadFootCaliKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadFootCaliKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadFootCaliKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadFootCaliKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadFootCaliKid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Well I know all this. I am in the process of becoming CA SMOG certified and I have seen plenty of holes in the system. I understand that it's all depends on how thorough or lazy the technician is and if he does the test right or not. I want to know which CA legal parts are worth the money. Or if I should just put all the factory parts back on when I need to get smogged.
Old 02-27-2010, 10:37 AM   #6
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
Well the Trd superharger is carb and Cali legal, I'll show you the sticker I have. Also short tubes are legal and any muffler/catback doesn't matter too
Old 02-27-2010, 10:50 AM   #7
It's a work in progress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmrider View Post
Well the Trd superharger is carb and Cali legal, I'll show you the sticker I have. Also short tubes are legal and any muffler/catback doesn't matter too
Hahahaha supercharger would be nice. I think that one's coming after long travel. Is it worth it to get the shorty's? Or should I just get some long tubes and put on my factory exhaust when I smog?
Old 02-27-2010, 11:14 AM   #8
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
I really could not tell you about the short tubes, but a few weeks ago I was talking to gadget and he said It would only take about half hour to put them on and take them off. I would love to have a carb cai and I thought mine was aem but it never passed exemption. I am going to sell it later and get a trd so it is boxed. My next plans are to get the smaller pully and urds exhaust I haven't decided on exhaust
Old 03-08-2010, 10:46 AM   #9
rorozco6 is on a distinguished road
rorozco6's Tacoma Gallery
you said that TRD superchagers are legal?
Old 03-08-2010, 11:11 AM   #10
aka Frank Gallagher...
Jay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Jay
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
Yep..