Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

about to buy, V6 or I4???

Old 02-14-2007, 07:37 AM   #21
TRDeity is on a distinguished road

TRDeity's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007Tacoma View Post
This is the biggest reason I didn't get a V6. I love getting in my wife's Rav4 V6 and stomping on it. That thing will put you in the back seat and give a Mustang a run for its money. Problem is, when I do that, her MPG goes from 28 MPG down to 22 just as fast as the smoking tires.
I'll put your wifes Rav4 up to my Mustang any day. Bring it on.
Old 02-14-2007, 07:52 AM   #22
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
007Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 007Tacoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDeity View Post
I'll put your wifes Rav4 up to my Mustang any day. Bring it on.
Run for its money - doesn't equal a stomp out.

The 2006 Rav4 V6 is supposed to be the second fastest SUV (0-60) on the market right now. I can tell you this much - it is fast!
Old 02-14-2007, 10:18 AM   #23
topdec will become famous soon enoughtopdec will become famous soon enough
topdec's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by steviestyles View Post
chazms, Look at it this way, you found 4 people who claim to get 27 mpg with their 4 bangers. That's 4 people out of what maye 100!!! I'd take the odds that the 4cyl will not give you that kind of mileage. I stated in a previous post that Toyota claims 23 mpg hwy for the 4 cyl 4x4....going by that number, that's 2 more mpg than the 6 cyl. If that is enough for you to turn you off of the 6 cyl, go with the 4....for most people 2 more mpg is not enough to overcome the difference in power.
I said go with the V6 in a previous reply...

Another way to go is to get the I4, and later on add the supercharger if you need it.
Old 02-14-2007, 10:27 AM   #24
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by topdec View Post
Another way to go is to get the I4, and later on add the supercharger if you need it.
I wonder how much of a hit your MPG will take with adding a SC onto a 2nd Gen..?
Old 02-14-2007, 10:41 AM   #25
topdec's Tacoma Gallery
In my opinion, If I can get 15mpg on a 240hp I4, I would be happy.
Old 02-14-2007, 10:45 AM   #26
I dub thee malicious!

Quote:
True. Does anyone here have a 2nd Gen Tacoma 2.7L Supercharged? I would love to see how that performs.
Old 02-14-2007, 12:32 PM   #27

TRDeity's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
In that case you'd be better off with the 236hp v6 and 20MPG.
Old 02-14-2007, 12:51 PM   #28
topdec's Tacoma Gallery
I agree, and I did buy a V6. This scenario is just for people that, at the time of the sale, might not have wanted the V6, but realize later on that they need it.
Old 02-14-2007, 03:01 PM   #29

TRDeity's Tacoma Gallery
Just out of curiosity, does any one offer a turbo for Tacos?
Old 10-09-2011, 06:23 PM   #30
philb is on a distinguished road
philb's Tacoma Gallery
Old thread I know but I'm new here and reading everything. I bought my '09 reg. cab 4x4 new with the I4 , 5speed. I briefly debated v6 or 4 banger and decided to get the 4cyl. and extremely happy with it. I was surprised to see 27 mpg from the get go, and even now with 49,000 miles I get 24 mpg, and that is with a cap on the back.
I took the cap off for the Spring months and always got 25-26 from every tankful.
Old 10-09-2011, 07:20 PM   #31
jsutter has a spectacular aura aboutjsutter has a spectacular aura about
Name: Jim
jsutter's Tacoma Gallery
I'm a cheap bastard. I say go for the 2.7; cheaper initial cost, gas, insurance, upkeep et cetera.
Old 10-09-2011, 07:24 PM   #32
nammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nam
nammer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsutter View Post
I'm a cheap bastard. I say go for the 2.7; cheaper initial cost, gas, insurance, upkeep et cetera.
x2

i only drive a prerunner v6 doublecab, but I am getting roughly 22mpg, which for some reason is the best mpg rating on fuelly, but i try to accelerate really slow, and usually go about 65 on the highway, only to conserve fuel, not cause i want to.
Old 10-09-2011, 08:06 PM   #33
Say no to Bro
kirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clayton
kirkofwimbo's Tacoma Gallery
I think one of the main reasons for the marginal gain from I4 over V6 is that the I4 is iron block and the V6 is aluminum. I LOVE my V6, and usually average 18-20 mpg
Old 10-09-2011, 08:38 PM   #34
tacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Alex
tacomalex's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 2011 I4 4x4 access cab and for what I use it for it works great. I don't consistently haul heavy loads (though I have had 1500 pounds worth the concrete u the bed an got along just fine) it's my only vehicle (daily driver) and I take it off road (lightly as I still have stock tires and no skids) and it does just about everything I've needed it to.

I've never really tried to track my mpg's so I can't give you a solid number in that. I feel as though it moves the truck along just fine. I do plan on a few engine mods (intake, headers) but that's all I feel I need to do cause it's a great engine. I will say the 5 speed stick really makes it fun to drive, plus it allows to really get it going when you need it to.

Look at your needs and make the decision. I opted for 4 wheel drive versus the V6 and am enternily happy I did. If I had the cash to get both I probably would have.

That's just my 2 cents, hope it helps.
Old 10-09-2011, 11:39 PM   #35
Frostbyte is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrostbyte is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrostbyte is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrostbyte is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrostbyte is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrostbyte is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrostbyte is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrostbyte is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrostbyte is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrostbyte is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrostbyte is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Frostbyte's Tacoma Gallery
looks at it as simple as you can....

if you do a lot of driving, without much payload on your truck (i.e. towing, bed cargo, ect.) get the 4cyl 4x4, you wont regret it.
If you dont drive as much, but have high payload (again, i.e. toys, towing, ect.) get the 6cyl 2x4, or the 4x4, you wont regret it.

I dont drive my truck that much due to carpooling to work, and i love my 6 cyl.... its an '07 4x4, and i just hit 27k miles, however, i dont tow, or have heavy payloads, so a 4cyl would have probably been more economical... it all depends on your style, and what your using it for.
Old 10-09-2011, 11:44 PM   #36
Questions... Morphology? Longevity? Incept dates?
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Or if you do drive a lot and haul or tow and just want to be badass get the V6 4x4