Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Low Range Offroad 3'' lift kit

Old 02-28-2010, 06:02 PM   #1
MachoTaco10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMachoTaco10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMachoTaco10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMachoTaco10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMachoTaco10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMachoTaco10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMachoTaco10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMachoTaco10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMachoTaco10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMachoTaco10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMachoTaco10 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Security Forces
Name: Nick
MachoTaco10's Tacoma Gallery
Low Range Offroad 3'' lift kit

http://http://www.lowrangeoffroad.com/tacoma.htm

Am I
the only one with this kit on here? There is quite a lot of talk on here about how spacer lifts are garbage and make the ride terrible. Well I have the low range offroad kit, and I have to say the ride feels exactly the same as stock.

The kit seems to be of very high quality and the spacer is the style the sits above the coil for lift unlike the toy tec and rev tek spacer that pre loads the coil for a harsher ride. it also came with a diff drop kit to keep the stock geometry or at least pretty damn close. The rear is only a 1'' block but has 3/4 taper to keep your drive shaft angle straight.

long story short I know full leaf packs and icon coil overs are the best, but those looking for a budget lift...I have to say check out LRO.
Old 02-28-2010, 06:45 PM   #2
iTaco
Ronin has much to be proud ofRonin has much to be proud ofRonin has much to be proud ofRonin has much to be proud ofRonin has much to be proud ofRonin has much to be proud ofRonin has much to be proud ofRonin has much to be proud of

Navy: SAR Swimmer
Name: Al
Ronin's Tacoma Gallery
I have it and love it. Have had it about a year with no issues.
-Al
Old 02-28-2010, 06:58 PM   #3
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Those Top Plate spacers can make your shocks do this:

Old 02-28-2010, 07:00 PM   #4
Proud Tundra *****
oofy15354 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoofy15354 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoofy15354 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoofy15354 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoofy15354 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoofy15354 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoofy15354 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoofy15354 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoofy15354 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoofy15354 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoofy15354 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Dave
oofy15354's Tacoma Gallery
link takes me to a stock webpage with popups

just me?
Old 02-28-2010, 07:07 PM   #5
MachoTaco10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMachoTaco10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMachoTaco10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMachoTaco10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMachoTaco10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMachoTaco10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMachoTaco10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMachoTaco10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMachoTaco10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMachoTaco10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMachoTaco10 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

CHRIS4X4
not really sure how this could happen, as it is not preloading anything with thr LRO kit. Its essentially just taking the whole assembly and making it 3'' longer.a spacer such as toytec is adding increased stress on a coil thus prssing down on its connecting point to the LCA which is the bilstein strut.

maybe some hardcore wheelin
Old 02-28-2010, 07:10 PM   #6
jodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonah
jodiddly33's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MachoTaco10 View Post
CHRIS4X4
not really sure how this could happen, as it is not preloading anything with thr LRO kit. Its essentially just taking the whole assembly and making it 3'' longer.a spacer such as toytec is adding increased stress on a coil thus prssing down on its connecting point to the LCA which is the bilstein strut.

dude, don't question chris4x4's authoritaaaaayyy. everyone knows this
Old 02-28-2010, 07:15 PM   #7

his "authority' is respected, this particular subject is being questioned sonssss
Old 02-28-2010, 07:15 PM   #8
jodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonah
jodiddly33's Tacoma Gallery
i know i know i keed i keed
Old 02-28-2010, 07:29 PM   #9
krisjw101 is a glorious beacon of lightkrisjw101 is a glorious beacon of lightkrisjw101 is a glorious beacon of lightkrisjw101 is a glorious beacon of lightkrisjw101 is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Kris
krisjw101's Tacoma Gallery
yeah I was looking at that kit seems like a good one for a .spacer lift. Hey Chris do you think you cold go a bit more in depth on what happened to your shock in the above picture... I'm really interested.
Old 02-28-2010, 07:32 PM   #10
vwguy60 is a jewel in the roughvwguy60 is a jewel in the roughvwguy60 is a jewel in the roughvwguy60 is a jewel in the rough
vwguy60's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
CHRIS4X4

Simple explanation... When the stock coil over is unmodified, the suspension will bottom out on the bump stops before the shock bottoms out. Put a top spacer on and now the coil over will bottom out long before the suspension does.

A spacer lift that preloads the spring is actually better because the coil over is not relocated and will allow the suspension to work as designed. The drawback is of coarse a crappy ride.

Sorry Chris for answering your question... Feel free to add to my simplistic explanation.

I personally do not like spacer lifts, but if the lift is only for looks and the truck is not subjected to suspension jarring bumps, they are fine for some people. My setup is for looks but it can also handle trails and bumps. It is not a desert pre-runner, there are way better components for that....

Old 02-28-2010, 07:32 PM   #11
allrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud of
allrsdup's Tacoma Gallery
only way spacer does not preload the coils in on the drop bracket kits like 6"procomp stage 1 kit
Old 02-28-2010, 07:36 PM   #12

i know the LRO kit for the tundra actually comes with new bumpstops not sure for the tacoma kit.

a spacer kit is just fine for a little trail riding, grocery getting, and commuting. just gives you a beefier stance, throw some bigger meats on on it and good to go.

in fact my dodge ram with a spacer lift was taken offroad quite regulary and beaten to sh*t and nothing ever broke...but you just never know
Old 02-28-2010, 07:39 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrgrnr View Post
A spacer is a spacer no matter what name they put on it.That spacer is preloading the coils, just because its on top of the coil assembly dosen't mean it's not. You may say it rides great but have you ever rode in a truck to compaire it too? and Chris is right as always, if you offroad, hit a curb hard enough, hit a pot hole big enough, this will happen as it puts load on the whole stock shock and there not designed for it. My $.02
ever rode in a truck to compare it to?....ya my truck before the lift. rides the same bro
Old 02-28-2010, 07:42 PM   #14
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

That spacer is making the OEM shock/spring assembly longer than the geometry was engineered for. Thus causeing an "Over travel" situation when going over a bump, causeing the shock to want to extend further than what the upper control arm will allow. When this happens, the energy from the rebonding shock will cause the lower part of the shock to break.
Old 02-28-2010, 07:47 PM   #15

Quote:
Oem
Old 02-28-2010, 07:49 PM   #16
vwguy60 is a jewel in the roughvwguy60 is a jewel in the roughvwguy60 is a jewel in the roughvwguy60 is a jewel in the rough
vwguy60's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Damn thats one clean fender well!!!!
Thanks, the pic was taken when I did the install. The truck was only a month old then.
Old 02-28-2010, 07:49 PM   #17

Quote:
CHRIS4X4

Even though, a Pre load spacer is increasing the spring rate, its still no longer than the OEM assembly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisjw101 View Post
yeah I was looking at that kit seems like a good one for a .spacer lift. Hey Chris do you think you cold go a bit more in depth on what happened to your shock in the above picture... I'm really interested.
Its not my truck. A Member on here decided to go off road, hit 1 hole, and broke his shock. He was running a Top Plate spacer lift.

Quote:
A spacer is a spacer no matter what name they put on it.That spacer is preloading the coils, just because its on top of the coil assembly dosen't mean it's not. You may say it rides great but have you ever rode in a truck to compaire it too? and Chris is right as always, if you offroad, hit a curb hard enough, hit a pot hole big enough, this will happen as it puts load on the whole stock shock and there not designed for it. My $.02
A Top plate spacer doesnt pre load the spring, just makes the assembly longer.
Old 04-01-2010, 02:17 PM   #18
iTaco
Ronin has much to be proud ofRonin has much to be proud ofRonin has much to be proud ofRonin has much to be proud ofRonin has much to be proud ofRonin has much to be proud ofRonin has much to be proud ofRonin has much to be proud of

Ronin's Tacoma Gallery
The is a direct advertisement I copied from low range. I have the low range leveling kit. It has works well for me. I am not a safe queen. I use what I have.

even with my suspension full extended....my shock/strut is not.

-Al
Old 04-01-2010, 02:27 PM   #19
iTaco

Ronin's Tacoma Gallery
Old 04-01-2010, 03:32 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
The is a direct advertisement I copied from low range. I have the low range leveling kit. It has works well for me. I am not a safe queen. I use what I have.

even with my suspension full extended....my shock/strut is not.

-Al
good man, good to see somebody standing up for the lro kit