Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

TSB's Out of Warranty

Old 03-02-2010, 10:00 AM   #1
MINTaco is on a distinguished road

MINTaco's Tacoma Gallery
TSB's Out of Warranty

There's been alot of talk about TSB T-SB-0305-08 (Leaf Spring Issue) here and it's clear that this is covered ONLY under the 3 year / 36 month warranty.

My situation is this: bought a 2008 Access cab with 38,000 miles on it. I've had it 2 months and live in the Snow Zone of the Midwest. I put 180 lbs. of sand in the back for traction and now constantly hear the bed hitting the bump stops when I go over a small dip in the road or go over speed bumps.

So I am basically S.O.L. unless I want to spend the ± $1,500 to have the stealership do the mod, right?

As someone else on here stated in another thread, this seems like poor design on Toyota's part. Is there any other recourse, i.e. better shocks, etc. (I am not a wrench so looking for advice).
Old 03-02-2010, 10:03 AM   #2
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
AAL or a different leaf pack. You can also have the OEM leafs re-arched. The AAL or different leaf pack will generally lift the rear. So you may want to think about that.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:14 AM   #3
Junior Senior Member
warpwr has much to be proud ofwarpwr has much to be proud ofwarpwr has much to be proud ofwarpwr has much to be proud ofwarpwr has much to be proud ofwarpwr has much to be proud ofwarpwr has much to be proud ofwarpwr has much to be proud ofwarpwr has much to be proud ofwarpwr has much to be proud of

Army: Motor Pool
Name: Vaughn
warpwr's Tacoma Gallery
I would go to a dealer and tell the service manager your story. Did you buy it from a Toyota dealer? That might help but not necessary.
Pretty sure others on here have gotten the TSB done past the warranty mileage.
You should at least try IMO. I wouldn't even mention the mileage to the dealer if I were you, just the other stuff.
Toyota is in a Please The Customer mode big time right now.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:54 AM   #4

MINTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by warpwr View Post
You should at least try IMO. I wouldn't even mention the mileage to the dealer if I were you, just the other stuff.
Thanks, there is no doubt that Toy is in that mode. TSB is pretty clear but might be worth a try. If that fails, may need to re-arch the leafs. Not really sure what AAL's are????

Anybody??
Old 03-02-2010, 10:57 AM   #5
Fed Taco will become famous soon enough

Name: Cale
Fed Taco's Tacoma Gallery
I believe AAL is add a leaf. It's just an extra leaf spring you add to the pack of springs you got on already. I'm no machanic though.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:58 AM   #6
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Add A Leaf. It's another leaf spring added to your current set. The only issue is it will add any where from 1-2 inches of lift in the rear.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:06 PM   #7

MINTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
Add A Leaf. It's another leaf spring added to your current set. The only issue is it will add any where from 1-2 inches of lift in the rear.
Gotcha, thanks guys. I will look into the AAL. Aid Association for Lutherans right??
Old 03-02-2010, 08:11 PM   #8
Chris D. is on a distinguished road

Chris D.'s Tacoma Gallery
Have you ever thought of getting a set of air shocks or a helper airbag setup?
Old 03-02-2010, 09:58 PM   #9
blazze2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblazze2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblazze2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblazze2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblazze2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblazze2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblazze2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblazze2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblazze2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblazze2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblazze2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

blazze2005's Tacoma Gallery
I have seen some pics of the AAL TSB done and to me it just makes the rear of the truck sit to high compared to the front

I think a set of air shocks would suite your needs

You could adjust the air in them as you need it

But it's up to you
Old 03-02-2010, 10:05 PM   #10
tisher49 is a jewel in the roughtisher49 is a jewel in the roughtisher49 is a jewel in the roughtisher49 is a jewel in the rough
Name: Alex
tisher49's Tacoma Gallery
i've also heard of guys workin a deal with the stealership where they pay for the parts and then you do the installation on your own.... if you have the extended warranty it should cover it...or at least it covered mine...best of luck
Old 03-03-2010, 05:53 AM   #11

MINTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazze2005 View Post
I have seen some pics of the AAL TSB done and to me it just makes the rear of the truck sit to high compared to the front

I think a set of air shocks would suite your needs

You could adjust the air in them as you need it

But it's up to you
That was my original thought and will probably go that route. I mean, if 180 lbs of sand in the bed bottoms it out there is no way I can tow my boat with it like it is.

Seems a huge oversight to put a 4 litre V6 in a vehicle with baby stroller springs in the rear. Piss poor engineering in my opinion. Thanks for the advice guys.....I'm sure I am not the only one in this position.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:01 AM   #12
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by MINTaco View Post
That was my original thought and will probably go that route. I mean, if 180 lbs of sand in the bed bottoms it out there is no way I can tow my boat with it like it is.

Seems a huge oversight to put a 4 litre V6 in a vehicle with baby stroller springs in the rear. Piss poor engineering in my opinion. Thanks for the advice guys.....I'm sure I am not the only one in this position.

LOL....I've one the math too many times- but the amount of people who actually complain and get the springs replaced is something like 1-2% of the folks who buy Tacomas.

SO the other 98% of folks get a nice plush ride and don't give a shit about loading a few more pounds....Seems like Toyota is making out pretty well.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:23 AM   #13
Jevansjr15 is a name known to allJevansjr15 is a name known to allJevansjr15 is a name known to allJevansjr15 is a name known to allJevansjr15 is a name known to allJevansjr15 is a name known to all

Navy: MM3
Name: Joe
Jevansjr15's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MINTaco View Post
There's been alot of talk about TSB T-SB-0305-08 (Leaf Spring Issue) here and it's clear that this is covered ONLY under the 3 year / 36 month warranty.

My situation is this: bought a 2008 Access cab with 38,000 miles on it. I've had it 2 months and live in the Snow Zone of the Midwest. I put 180 lbs. of sand in the back for traction and now constantly hear the bed hitting the bump stops when I go over a small dip in the road or go over speed bumps.

So I am basically S.O.L. unless I want to spend the ± $1,500 to have the stealership do the mod, right?

As someone else on here stated in another thread, this seems like poor design on Toyota's part. Is there any other recourse, i.e. better shocks, etc. (I am not a wrench so looking for advice).
I am in the same boat as you (54,000k). I took my truck to the dealer yesterday and he agreed with me, after doing tests that my shit was F&$ed up. He explained the 3 year/36k warranty and gave me the $1,900 quote for parts and labor.

Your beef is with the customer care people, not the dealer. I tried calling the number yesterday to open a case but I was on hold for 30 min and gave up. I plan on trying again today and will post any new info.

Good luck with yours
Old 03-03-2010, 06:41 AM   #14
Taco Lover
tegdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedtegdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedtegdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedtegdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedtegdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedtegdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedtegdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedtegdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedtegdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedtegdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedtegdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tegdog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thats for sure I complained about my crappy radio that turned off on its own & they offered me $500 in free parts/accesories, four months later when the radio didn't come in as promised they gave me a check for $600 w/o me complaining about it at all. You have to admit Toyota is taking care of customers, I think the fact I have bought three $30K trucks in the last four years has something to do with it though.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:45 AM   #15
Taco Lover
tegdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedtegdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedtegdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedtegdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedtegdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedtegdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedtegdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedtegdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedtegdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedtegdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedtegdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tegdog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
LOL....I've one the math too many times- but the amount of people who actually complain and get the springs replaced is something like 1-2% of the folks who buy Tacomas.

SO the other 98% of folks get a nice plush ride and don't give a shit about loading a few more pounds....Seems like Toyota is making out pretty well.
Seems like alot of people use these trucks as mall crawlers & for them the three leaf pack is the best smoothest ride. I haul which is why I bought a truck with a towing package Toyota should have put a four leaf pack on all towing pack trucks just my opinion though. I got the TSB done rides better in my opinion, more truck like.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:42 AM   #16
cotaco05 is a splendid one to beholdcotaco05 is a splendid one to beholdcotaco05 is a splendid one to beholdcotaco05 is a splendid one to beholdcotaco05 is a splendid one to beholdcotaco05 is a splendid one to beholdcotaco05 is a splendid one to behold
Firefighter: Tail boarder
Name: Jeff
cotaco05's Tacoma Gallery
I just had the tsb done on my 05 with 58k. Toyota paid for half after about a month of back and forth with coporate, so it's worth a few phone calls. Truck rides more like a truck, too.
Old 03-03-2010, 01:29 PM   #17
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
my dealer's service manager agreed to cover the labor. i had to pony up $500+ for the parts. not a bad deal, and i was more than appreciative. i thanked him for his VERY generous offer, but politely declined. i opted to spend just a tad more money and redo my entire suspension, by adding a mild lift.
Old 03-03-2010, 01:44 PM   #18
thinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
thinkingman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I would go to a dealer and tell the service manager your story. Did you buy it from a Toyota dealer? That might help but not necessary.
Toyota is NOT in the please the customer mode.
I renewed my TSB request and also pointed out the corroded wheels.
They politely said Eff U.
Toyota is only flexible if you have a congressional inquiry.
Sorry, but it's same old same old.
Old 03-03-2010, 01:45 PM   #19
thinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
thinkingman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris D. View Post
Have you ever thought of getting a set of air shocks or a helper airbag setup?
That's what I did.
Air bag on its' way now.
Old 03-03-2010, 07:25 PM   #20
sickspeed is on a distinguished road
sickspeed's Tacoma Gallery
aficianado, what suspension did you end up going with?

i was denied the tsb as well and might as well go with a subtle/mild lift.