Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

K&N Cold Air Intake (POOP)

Old 03-02-2010, 01:42 PM   #1
Still Learning Member!
Buzzbubby is on a distinguished road
Buzzbubby's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs down K&N Cold Air Intake (POOP)

Over the weekend I installed a K&N cold air intake. I noticed that my truck was kinda sluggish.(auto) So I made some phone calls and talked to some people and they said that I need to change out my factory exhaust which I want to do anyway. So! In the mean time, I did some research on here and noticed that some people said that the K&Nís are no good and that they had experience some issues with sensors and h.p and so on. I had this on my taco for 3 days and I came home from work today and put my factory air cleaner assembly back on. It almost felt like I got my baby back and regained my h.p back too. I really think that the K&N made my truck loose h.p. So, for anybody wanting to change over to K&N cold air intake DON"T DO IT! K&N is POOP! Do your research first. I know we all love our toys on our tacoís but this is one toy that is not worth it. Donít spend the money. It will probably cost you more down the road from what I read on here. I was going to list this for sale but I almost feel bad about selling it to my fellow Taco peeps! Donít want them to experience the same issues. Wish I would have did my research!
So...what leads me to my next question. What should I go with OTHER then the K&N cold air intake. Or should I just leave the air assembly stock and do other modifications.
Old 03-02-2010, 01:43 PM   #2
NWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NWtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
you'll lose power with an aftermarket exhaust too.
Old 03-02-2010, 01:44 PM   #3
RPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
RPain's Tacoma Gallery
AFE Pro Dry all the way, I just have a drop in and I love it
Old 03-02-2010, 01:55 PM   #4
Screw your MPG's
jacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jacob
jacob_wood's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to jacob_wood
I have it and actually noticed the opposite. I gained about 1-2 mpg, and have a little bit more hp. Sorry to hear that though there are a few others out there that people have like Volant, and the AEM brutefore. Hope you find something that works .
Old 03-02-2010, 01:58 PM   #5
Still Learning Member!
Buzzbubby is on a distinguished road
Buzzbubby's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWtacoma View Post
So what i should do is just make it look pretty and leave h.p mods alone
Old 03-02-2010, 01:59 PM   #6
Sounds Gooooood
ItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
ItalynStylion's Tacoma Gallery
If you want power; blow it.
Old 03-02-2010, 02:06 PM   #7
NWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob_wood View Post
I have it and actually noticed the opposite. I gained about 1-2 mpg, and have a little bit more hp. Sorry to hear that though there are a few others out there that people have like Volant, and the AEM brutefore. Hope you find something that works .
its all in your head.
Old 03-02-2010, 02:06 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzbubby View Post
So what i should do is just make it look pretty and leave h.p mods alone
get a supercharger
Old 03-02-2010, 02:07 PM   #9
XrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
XrunnIT's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to XrunnIT
I've been running the K&N CAI for a couple of years, to date, i have the second fastest mph in the 1/4 (behind a twin-turbo'd XR), and that was with minimal mods. I expect to be the new record holder as soon as I make it make it back to the track.

The K&N has very good MAF accuracy as recorded through data logging on the X-1 controller. The intake is capable of a lot of power.

The reason for the 'slugish-ness' on your truck could have been a number of things. ECU relearning the MAF curve and adjusting to the higher load/MAF, AFR could have been out of wack, bad fuel, number of things.

My suggestion, give it another try. Fill up with 91+ octane (if you looking for power, it costs money), reset the ECU (disconnect the battery for about 10 minutes), then go out for a few runs. The ECU will have to relearn its-self, but the CAI paired with the higher octane gas and a 'new tune', you will see some gains.

Quote:

So don't do any performance mods, otherwise you lose performance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalynStylion View Post
If you want power; blow it.
There's an option, this one is my favorite.
Old 03-02-2010, 02:10 PM   #10
1st Gen. Pride
only_K is just really niceonly_K is just really niceonly_K is just really niceonly_K is just really niceonly_K is just really nice

Name: Kevin
only_K's Tacoma Gallery
I had my exhaust before my K&N and i lost a good amount of low end torque, but once i got the drop in it evened it out again. But it might be different for 2nd gens.
Old 03-02-2010, 02:11 PM   #11
Screw your MPG's
jacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jacob
jacob_wood's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to jacob_wood
Quote:
its all in your head.
Pretty sure it's not thanks though.
Old 03-02-2010, 02:12 PM   #12
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
get a dynomax super turbo muffler welded in in place of the stock muffler, and you'll gain power.
Old 03-02-2010, 02:13 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by XrunnIT View Post

So don't do any performance mods, otherwise you lose performance?

do some research
Old 03-02-2010, 02:14 PM   #14
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Pretty sure it's not thanks though.
its not, before i got blown I had improved throtttle response, and better gas mileage with mine. AEM brute force--dry filter
Old 03-02-2010, 02:15 PM   #15
65tacodude is one of the sharper tools in the shed65tacodude is one of the sharper tools in the shed65tacodude is one of the sharper tools in the shed65tacodude is one of the sharper tools in the shed65tacodude is one of the sharper tools in the shed65tacodude is one of the sharper tools in the shed65tacodude is one of the sharper tools in the shed65tacodude is one of the sharper tools in the shed65tacodude is one of the sharper tools in the shed65tacodude is one of the sharper tools in the shed65tacodude is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Wade
65tacodude's Tacoma Gallery
I have the K&N to and felt it opened up my truck after i installed it. Better throttle response and just peepier. Sorry to hear you didnt have the same results
Old 03-02-2010, 02:29 PM   #16
Something about something
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
do some research
are you kidding? look at who your talking to buddy...he knows his stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65tacodude View Post
I have the K&N to and felt it opened up my truck after i installed it. Better throttle response and just peepier. Sorry to hear you didnt have the same results
haha I like that you quoted me in your sig
Old 03-02-2010, 02:31 PM   #17
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
I had a K&N FIPK on my previous truck(2003 Ranger 4.0). It was a POS intake. Still sucked in hot air all the time even though it had a "heat shield." Also you have to remember that an intake alone isn't going to do anything. The intake that I get for this truck will be boxed like the TRD/AFE but that will be one of the last performance mods to go on my truck.

Also no you won't lose power with an aftermarket exhaust unless you put a chokemaster on it. I still believe that a good mandrel bent cat back is the way to go vs a hack job done at an exhaust shop.
Old 03-02-2010, 02:51 PM   #18
I think I'm getting the Fear.
MY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: CH53-E Crewchief/Mechanic, HMH-464
Name: Mojo
MY50cal's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
x2

... and it's not in our heads.
Old 03-02-2010, 02:57 PM   #19
Poser Truck
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
do some research
Seriously? You're saying this to Xrunnit?

Most people putting aftermarket exhaust on their trucks ARE losing power because they either are going to a more restrictive muffler, a different exhaust pipe diameter (which throws off backpressure), or a fake dual (same).

Not all aftermarket catbacks are guaranteed to do this. It's highly situational.
Old 03-02-2010, 02:59 PM   #20
aka Frank Gallagher...
Jay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Jay
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
I'll buy that intake from you

Products Discussed in this Thread