1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Safety Switch For Locker Mod

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by ESNTACO, Mar 2, 2010.

1. Mar 2, 2010 at 3:14 PM
    ESNTACO

ESNTACO [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Md
    Vehicle:
    06 6 spd DC TRD O/R
    Locker Mod+Safety Switch, Fog Light Mod, ABS Kill Switch, Debadged, Lockable Bed Compartments, Weather Tech Floor Mats, Marathon Seat Covers (highly recommend), Limo Tint, Biceman 4x4 Light, Map Lights on w/Dome, Running Lights w/ Blinkers, Door Buzzer Mod, Cig Outlet Always Hot, Satoshi Grill, Urd Short Shifter, Diff Breather Soon
    I performed the 'locker anytime' mod when i got my truck and would like to install a 'safety' switch (because i have accidentally engaged the locker while aiming for the fog lights)

for the time being i decided to move it away from the fogs. i took it out and put it the bottom left rocker slot. for some reason now the light bulbs in the switches don't always work. sometimes one works, sometimes both work, they turn on and off when i push them. cant figure that out. the fogs and locker both still work though.

the wire harness going into the rr diff switch is green with 6 pins. pins 5 and 6 are empty. pin one is solid green, pin 2 is same color green with white stripe, pin 3 is solid light green, and pin 4 is red with black stripe. i dont know what any of them do and cant find a schematic or wiring diagram.

i want to put a switch in the 'output' wire so the factory switch wont do anything with out the other switch being activated first. I'm not sure if this is the right way to do it or not so im open to suggestions but i need to figure out what each of the wires does. if anyone knows please enlighten me.

2. Mar 3, 2010 at 2:34 PM
    ESNTACO

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Md
    Vehicle:
    06 6 spd DC TRD O/R
    Locker Mod+Safety Switch, Fog Light Mod, ABS Kill Switch, Debadged, Lockable Bed Compartments, Weather Tech Floor Mats, Marathon Seat Covers (highly recommend), Limo Tint, Biceman 4x4 Light, Map Lights on w/Dome, Running Lights w/ Blinkers, Door Buzzer Mod, Cig Outlet Always Hot, Satoshi Grill, Urd Short Shifter, Diff Breather Soon
    ok, so i found a thread about lighting the switches with led's and somebody labeled them i a picture. So it should be this: pin 1 illumination, pin 2 ground, pin 3 out, and pin 4 power in. I'm gonna try it tomorrow and see if it works.

3. Mar 3, 2010 at 2:38 PM
    silver07taco

silver07taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    COIL
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    13 Tundra RCSB 5.7 4x4,07 Tacoma AC 4.0 4x4
    2013 Tundra RCSB 5.7 4x4, 2007 Tacoma AC 4.0 4x4
    What part of MD are you in?

4. Mar 3, 2010 at 3:19 PM
    ESNTACO

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Md
    Vehicle:
    06 6 spd DC TRD O/R
    QA county near chestertown. eastern shore

5. Mar 3, 2010 at 3:29 PM
    dog tired

dog tired Well-Known Member

Member:
    NE Ohio
    Put in one of those armed to fire switches that you have to fold up

6. Mar 3, 2010 at 3:34 PM
    kram

kram Well-Known Member

Member:
    Squamish, British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Offroad Access Cab 6spd MGM
    URD Short Shifter TSB Leaf Pack, Bilstein 5100s front (1.75") and rear. 285/70/17 Duratrac on Rhino Sidewinders. Weathertech Digifit Floormats
    I just bought a used tacoma and wonder if the mod has already been done to mine. When I push the locker button in 2H or 4H, the red light starts to flash. Does this mean it is trying to lock? Or does it flash anyway before the mod to tell you its not going to do it? Anyone know? I also pushed it by mistake looking for the fog light, so if mine has been modded I would be interested in a safety switch too.

7. Mar 3, 2010 at 3:45 PM
    ESNTACO

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Md
    Vehicle:
    06 6 spd DC TRD O/R
    it blinks anyway. its telling you that its not engaging. after the mod has been done it wont blink anymore. when you hit the switch it wont light up until it locks.

8. Mar 4, 2010 at 2:31 PM
    ESNTACO

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Md
    Vehicle:
    06 6 spd DC TRD O/R
    After i got home from work this afternoon i decided to try to add a switch to the 'anytime' locker to prevent inadvertent engagement. I got it on the first try which absolutely shocks me. all the other mods I've done already had right ups of exactly how to do it. i was kinda wingin' it on this one.

ill try to get some pics up if i can figure out how.

here's what i did:

1. i took the entire bottom dash off to make things easier since i already moved the rr diff switch to the bottom row. (search the threads for directions on how to take off dash)

2. unplug the green harness from the rr diff switch.

3. i peeled back the electric tape and exposed several inches of wire.

4. next i cut the light green (pin 3, they're labeled) wire about two inches from the harness.

5. i used a three pin 'on/off' amber lit rocker as my safety switch. each of the pins on the switch were labeled 'power' (in), 'load' (out), and 'ground'.

6. i solder a wire to the light green wire coming from the green harness and hooked it to power (in) terminal on my switch.

7. i soldered another wire to the other cut end of the light green and hooked it the the load (out) terminal on my switch.

8. then i hooked up another wire to the ground terminal and grounded the switch to some random 10mm bolt that i found under the dash. it holds some kind of ecu and is bolted into a large piece of metal.

9. i tested it and it worked. initially i thought my switch would inly light up if it was 'on' and the rr diff switch was push in, but as long as my switch is 'on' it lights up regardless of what position the rr diff switch is in. its nice that it works that way so i now when it is armed so to speak.

10. i cleaned everything up, wrapped up nice and neat with electric tape and reassembled by dash.

i am very happy with the results and if i can do it any one else can. im sure others have already done this but i couldn't find a right up so i did this one to help anyone else who wants to do this.

any ?????? post and ill try to help.

9. Apr 25, 2016 at 10:37 AM
    Strictlytoyz

Strictlytoyz Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Charles
    Vehicle:
    07 Double Cab

I know this is an old thread but i plan on doing the locker anytime mod and also planned on adding a switch for safety precautions. Do you have a link to the switch you used?

Products Discussed in

To Top