1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Ordering an ARE "Z" series topper

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Taco4x4NC, Mar 2, 2010.

1. Mar 13, 2010 at 3:05 PM
    Taco4x4NC

Taco4x4NC [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Western North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 DC/LB "Pytrite Mica/Katzkin leather
    3m clear bra or Venture, stant locking gas cap, Shield, front windows tinted, weathertechs, ARE "Z" topper. Sockmonkey decal, Billy 5100's x 4 corners, Eibach coils, Toytec 1.5 AAL. Michelin 265/75/16 MS2's, Grillcraft MX series/TOYOTA badging. FJ/SE TRD Anthracite gray wheels. Katzkin leather/heated seats.
    Suppose to take delievery of my "Z" series topper this Monday or Tuesday. I will post pics after install.

2. Mar 16, 2010 at 2:05 AM
    Taco4x4NC

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Western North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    3m clear bra or Venture, stant locking gas cap, Shield, front windows tinted, weathertechs, ARE "Z" topper. Sockmonkey decal, Billy 5100's x 4 corners, Eibach coils, Toytec 1.5 AAL. Michelin 265/75/16 MS2's, Grillcraft MX series/TOYOTA badging. FJ/SE TRD Anthracite gray wheels. Katzkin leather/heated seats.
    If your considering an ARE topper for your truck you may want to read this;

Got a call from local ARE dealer that my topper arrived and they wanted to schedule a time to install. So I set it up for this coming friday morning. So on my way to work I decided to go by the store and take a look at the topper prior to fridays install. When I walked up to the topper the paint appeared to be a perfect match. And really looked great. After a closer inspection I noticed a couple of finger prints in the base paint just above the rear door on the top left hand side side of the topper under the clear coat. The prints were located right where you would see them everytime you opened the rear door.:eek: Talk about bummed...Not good, so max disappointment sets in. The ARE store owner obviously sees my disappointment.

It also appeared like someone had washed the topper with a dirty rag as there were fresh fine scratches in the clear coat. (all clearly visible) Note: To the dealer's credit he had not touched the topper, as it had just arrived off the truck shortly before I got there.

The owner of the ARE store looks at the finger prints and agreed that it was under the clear coat. And did not dispute this at all and was actually disappointed and embarrassed at his product. I said gee, don't you think this should have been caught by ARE Quaility control?? He totally agreed.

It appears the painter at the ARE production plant thought ehhh..... what the heck I will just clear coat over the finger prints in the paint and no one would ever notice. I told the dealer that there is no way I was going to have the topper installed on my new truck. I said at a minimum the topper needs to go back and ARE needs to get it right. He agreed and is sending it back to the plant.

I am writing to the ARE regional sales manager with my complaint of poor quaility control and poor workmanship.
    The dealer was very supportive and agreed that ARE needs to make it right. I would fire the quaility control person for sure and the painter needs the boot also. They obviously don't care and now are costing ARE money being employeed there.

I am really trying to have faith in the american worker and american products but ya gotta admit this does not help. In too many cases people just don't give a rats arse, and have little to no any work ethic anymore. They just want a check. and they wonder why jobs are outsourced????.....Ok rant over...

Just for an FYI...if you order a topper from ARE take a hard close look at it when it arrives at the dealer and prior to the install and handing over the $$$ and the install on your truck.

I will post again with the final resolution.

3. Mar 16, 2010 at 3:33 PM
    romafern

romafern Hug diz nuts

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    80918 Let's meet!
    Vehicle:
    Paid for and saving a shit ton of $$$$$
    Thinking of adding a second battery...
    Thanks for posting this TACO4x4NC. I am looking to buy one when I move to the Augusta, GA area this summer.

4. Mar 19, 2010 at 2:27 AM
    Taco4x4NC

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Western North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    I will post again with the final resolution.

I ordered the topper on 3 march, its March 19th and I am still waiting on ARE to repaint my new topper and send it back to the dealer. Will post when it arrives.

5. Mar 19, 2010 at 6:02 AM
    BUZZ5

BUZZ5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    S.Carolina
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner DC TRD Sport
    Many
    You are doing what everyone should do with a problem like this. Too many people would just not want the time & hassle & just accept poor quality products, hence the problem with alot of American made products & work ethics. If everyone would do this, business owners might regulate their employees quality & productivity better.

romafen, when you get to Augusta check out Trucks & More Center on Bobby Jones for your A.R.E.

6. Mar 19, 2010 at 11:49 AM
    woodygg

woodygg Well-Known Member

Member:
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    04 DC Tacoma 4x4
    "I am really trying to have faith in the american worker and american products "

and yet you own a Toyota... :)

7. Mar 19, 2010 at 2:30 PM
    NWtacoma

NWtacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kent,WA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Sport 4x4
    265/70/17 bfg AT
    geeze man, maybe it was just a mistake.

8. Mar 20, 2010 at 1:13 AM
    Taco4x4NC

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Western North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    I agree, just a sloppy workmanship mistake...which should have been caught by quaility control before leaving the factory in Ohio. But was not.

All is well now, no issues and the topper looks fantastic IMHO. No thumb print. The paint looks perfect.:)

9. Mar 20, 2010 at 1:16 AM
    Taco4x4NC

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Western North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    Yes, I said American products, not american vehicles.

I have owned Toyota's since 1989 when I bought my first 4x4 xtracab/longbed.

A great little truck that ran like a fine swiss time piece.

10. Dec 19, 2018 at 9:43 AM
    chet043

chet043 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chet
    Vehicle:
    16 Tacoma double cab TRD sport long bed
    I want one with no windows so they take all $50 aside for no windows still want $2400 I about choked

Products Discussed in

To Top