LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Road Force Balance - worth it's weight in gold

Old 03-02-2010, 04:16 PM   #1
Silver_Taco is a name known to allSilver_Taco is a name known to allSilver_Taco is a name known to allSilver_Taco is a name known to allSilver_Taco is a name known to allSilver_Taco is a name known to all

Navy:
Silver_Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Road Force Balance - worth it's weight in gold

So, I didn't want to mention it but I had some terrbile vibes after getting the lift installed last week. Somehow mentioning it here makes it more of an official problem.

The lift was finished Friday night. It drove like a truck.... but then there was a grinding feeling in the pedal (I attributed it to the tires) ... there was a slight vibration in the wheel - again, blamed the tires.

Sunday morning went out for coffee and had a whirrring noise from driver's side front tire. silent...silent ... whirrrr, etc.

Read for hours on the forum and found many with Diff replacements, cv problems, "oh shit" me thinks. Stopped at the dealer to get some prices - "there's nothing we can do for you - you lifted it, all bets are off"... I got the prices, gave pedro the one finger salute and headed home.

today on way home from work, stopped at Mr. Tire to have it lifted so I could check the wheel bearing ... might as well check balance as well. $35 to check them, $60 for road balance. Well, makes more sense to just road balance them and away it went. 1.5 hours later I drive away and it drives better than when I bought it. I can't say enough about the OME lift now that I can actually feel the true outcome. Sorry to ramble but, shit, I'm a happy man.

Roadbalance those 33"s!
Old 03-02-2010, 06:01 PM   #3
HoofHearted
HARDSHELLTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedHARDSHELLTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedHARDSHELLTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedHARDSHELLTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedHARDSHELLTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedHARDSHELLTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedHARDSHELLTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedHARDSHELLTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedHARDSHELLTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedHARDSHELLTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedHARDSHELLTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: McLovin
HARDSHELLTACO's Tacoma Gallery
x2 on the Road force balance- It friggin rocks.

I didn't know until now how to describe what my truck is doing. I have the silent..whirrr..silent..whirrr..silent..you get the idea. Anyone else have this!
Old 03-02-2010, 06:07 PM   #4
akyota has much to be proud ofakyota has much to be proud ofakyota has much to be proud ofakyota has much to be proud ofakyota has much to be proud ofakyota has much to be proud ofakyota has much to be proud ofakyota has much to be proud of

Name: Ryan
akyota's Tacoma Gallery
God that is a huge fear of mine!! Get it lifted and one mile down the road something breaks, take it to the stealer and they say sorry its lifted!!!! This threads making me think again bout the lift. Any thoughts???
Old 03-02-2010, 06:11 PM   #6
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
Don't think just do
Old 03-02-2010, 06:17 PM   #7
Silver_Taco is a name known to allSilver_Taco is a name known to allSilver_Taco is a name known to allSilver_Taco is a name known to allSilver_Taco is a name known to allSilver_Taco is a name known to all

Navy:
Quote:
Originally Posted by akyota View Post
God that is a huge fear of mine!! Get it lifted and one mile down the road something breaks, take it to the stealer and they say sorry its lifted!!!! This threads making me think again bout the lift. Any thoughts???

LOL ... I've heard this before. Don't worry yourself so much. Get the lift installed by someone that knows how to do it - get the TIRES installed by someone who knows how to do it. Ask specifically for road force balance ... while balaning, they apply simulated road force with a big steel roller.... extremely accurate.

I'm nothin if not meticulous about my truck and wouldn't take a risk with lifting it - I did the research and it worked out. Go for it, you'll look at stock height tacos and smile, smile, smile.
Old 03-02-2010, 06:18 PM   #8
kylek250 is on a distinguished road
kylek250's Tacoma Gallery
the road force balance, or ride match. will measure the wheel and tire on the balancer, and then give instructions to the technitionon where to rotoate the tire on the wheel. this will pick the best wheel/tire alignment to give the best ride. it really works. i do it all the time. however it depends on the tires. Some tires dont need it ie: most michelins. Some tires it will not help. ie most m/t tires. However it will help on most with ride. hope this helps
Old 03-02-2010, 06:19 PM   #9

Navy:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HARDSHELLTACO View Post

I didn't know until now how to describe what my truck is doing. I have the silent..whirrr..silent..whirrr..silent..you get the idea. Anyone else have this!

Hardshell, your truck still doing it after balancing?
Old 03-02-2010, 07:01 PM   #10
Taco93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco93 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Taco93's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HARDSHELLTACO View Post

I had a vibration in the stearing wheel at about 70 miles an hour as well as the annoying silent .... whirrrr... silent... whirr....so I decided to get the Road Force balancing done. Vibration is still present and so is the whirrr.....silent....BS. Even though the tech said that all 4 tires balanced up. Let me know if you ever discover the cause of this silent whirrr BS.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:24 PM   #11

Navy:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco93 View Post
I had a vibration in the stearing wheel at about 70 miles an hour as well as the annoying silent .... whirrrr... silent... whirr....so I decided to get the Road Force balancing done. Vibration is still present and so is the whirrr.....silent....BS. Even though the tech said that all 4 tires balanced up. Let me know if you ever discover the cause of this silent whirrr BS.

There's some threads about it on here. Search for something like "front diff bearing" ... most guys find it's either that or a wheel bearing I believe (assuming you're talking about front - driver's side seems to be the most common)
Old 03-02-2010, 07:36 PM   #12
Taco93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco93 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Taco93's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver_Taco View Post
There's some threads about it on here. Search for something like "front diff bearing" ... most guys find it's either that or a wheel bearing I believe (assuming you're talking about front - driver's side seems to be the most common)

Oh, and I forgot to mention, the tech said the rear tires are cupped...Would this cause this problem?
Old 03-02-2010, 07:39 PM   #13
HoofHearted
HARDSHELLTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedHARDSHELLTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedHARDSHELLTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedHARDSHELLTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedHARDSHELLTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedHARDSHELLTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedHARDSHELLTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedHARDSHELLTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedHARDSHELLTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedHARDSHELLTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedHARDSHELLTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver_Taco View Post
Hardshell, your truck still doing it after balancing?
Yes- I don't think it is a balancing issue. My truck used to have a bad steering wheel shake and vibes at around 55 mph. Road force balance took care of that but i have had that silet whir shit all along. I told them to check the wheel bearings when they balanced the tires and he said everything looked tight. However i did not get the feeling they look ed at it to hard. They kind of blew me off when i asked them about it. Maybe someone should make a new thread on this issue if it is more than just a couple of people.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:43 PM   #14
HoofHearted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco93 View Post
Word of advice: Make sure they use an adapter to bolt your wheel to the balancer. The adapter bolts to the lug holes. Balancing the wheel on the center hole does nothing for our trucks since they are lug centric. Also look into getting lug nuts with a shank. Check this out: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/whe...ml#post1094853
Old 03-03-2010, 01:35 PM   #15

Navy:
well, as it turns out, road force balance can blow me.... it's good to have it done but didn't solve my problem. Still same thing from Driver's front tire area. So, seems the only fix - after reading through hours of threads - is a "diff replacement" ... unbelievable. Surely someone has replaced the bearing in the Diff. If no one posts I'll start a new thread.
Old 03-03-2010, 01:38 PM   #16
Earlicious83 is on a distinguished road
Marines:
Name: Scott
Earlicious83's Tacoma Gallery
im having the same problem let me know if you find anything.
Old 04-01-2014, 05:43 PM   #17
el taco loco is on a distinguished road

Firefighter: Paramedic
el taco loco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by akyota View Post
Boy, have I ever played that tune over again and again in my head! 1800 miles and a lift kit, then it's Pedro givin' me the one finger salute at the stealership!
Old 04-01-2014, 05:58 PM   #18
asuchemist is a splendid one to beholdasuchemist is a splendid one to beholdasuchemist is a splendid one to beholdasuchemist is a splendid one to beholdasuchemist is a splendid one to beholdasuchemist is a splendid one to beholdasuchemist is a splendid one to behold
asuchemist's Tacoma Gallery
I had to road balance on my other vehicle. Had to scratch and claw to have them do it though. Turns out my wheel was out of round so they could do nothing for me
Old 04-01-2014, 06:24 PM   #19
smd3 is on a distinguished road
Air Force:
smd3's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kylek250 View Post
the road force balance, or ride match. will measure the wheel and tire on the balancer, and then give instructions to the technitionon where to rotoate the tire on the wheel. this will pick the best wheel/tire alignment to give the best ride. it really works. i do it all the time. however it depends on the tires. Some tires dont need it ie: most michelins. Some tires it will not help. ie most m/t tires. However it will help on most with ride. hope this helps
It's not clear in your post, so I'll add it here: Road force balancing machines place a roller against the tire while measuring the balance, simulating how the tire acts on the road.

All modern balancers clearly show the technician where to put the weights.
Old 04-02-2014, 11:30 AM   #20
ahb1989 is on a distinguished road
Law Enforcement: Patrol
ahb1989's Tacoma Gallery
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by smd3 View Post
It's not clear in your post, so I'll add it here: Road force balancing machines place a roller against the tire while measuring the balance, simulating how the tire acts on the road.

All modern balancers clearly show the technician where to put the weights.
Actually both of you are correct, smd3 you are correct in "All modern balancers clearly show the technician where to put the weights", but what kylek250 was saying (trying) is that modern road force balance machines do what you said, they place a roller against the tire while measuring the balance, simulating how the tire acts on the road, but instead of simply telling the tech where to add weights it can "mark" the tire and wheel, telling the tech to break the bead from the tire and the rim then physically rotate the tire on the wheel to lessen or sometimes eliminate any weight(s) to be added.

Ive seen some non road force balancers be able to do this, but not very many.