Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Sorry yet another towing wire harness 4pin/7pin plug question?

Old 03-02-2010, 04:19 PM   #1
Fore has a spectacular aura aboutFore has a spectacular aura aboutFore has a spectacular aura about
Fore's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry yet another towing wire harness 4pin/7pin plug question?

I致e already checked the TacomaWorld towing bible and cannot find the answer to my question and I知 tired of searching for an answer. I have an 07 Prerunner with the towing package and it came with a 4pin trailer connector on the back of the truck, I would like to tow a large trailer around 5,000lbs that will need the use of electric brakes. I bought on eBay a used 05 and up Tacoma 7 pin wire harness/plug. My question is can I just unplug the 4pin wire harness completely and plug and play the 7pin wire harness in its place and will it work? Yes, I do realize I値l need the rest of the hook-ups in the cab for it all to work; I知 focusing mainly on the trailer plug on the towing hitch on the back of my truck. Thanks!
Old 03-03-2010, 03:52 AM   #2
Fore has a spectacular aura aboutFore has a spectacular aura aboutFore has a spectacular aura about
Fore's Tacoma Gallery
Guess nobody has tried to switch their 4 pin towing harness to 7 pin harness.
Old 03-03-2010, 04:15 AM   #3
dog tired is a name known to alldog tired is a name known to alldog tired is a name known to alldog tired is a name known to alldog tired is a name known to alldog tired is a name known to all

Army: Infantry
dog tired's Tacoma Gallery
4 pin has no electric brakes

7 pin does

you could have just installed an electric brake controller, which you will have to do anyway
Old 03-03-2010, 07:54 AM   #4
Middle-Aged Member
05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jim
05Moose's Tacoma Gallery
Not answering a question here, but posing one. If the OP doesn't have the towing package (which he doesn't because it would have the 7 pin), isn't the max towing capacity 3500 lbs? With the towing package, it jumps to 6500 lbs. Or is the 3500 lbs rating because they assume you're using the bumper rather than a hitch?
Old 03-03-2010, 08:02 AM   #5
dog tired is a name known to alldog tired is a name known to alldog tired is a name known to alldog tired is a name known to alldog tired is a name known to alldog tired is a name known to all

Army: Infantry
dog tired's Tacoma Gallery
I am going to say I bet it is a cover your rear sort of thing.

They set it up and know it will work at so many pounds
you set it up with who knows what gear and then scream at Toyota when it breaks

My Jeep Wrangler had a 2000 pound limit I use to tow 5000 pounds of wood all the time ( per the Equity Scales an honest 5000 pounds plus)
Old 03-03-2010, 09:03 AM   #6
brandob9 is a jewel in the roughbrandob9 is a jewel in the roughbrandob9 is a jewel in the roughbrandob9 is a jewel in the rough
Name: Brandon
brandob9's Tacoma Gallery
OP: you're also missing the pigtail for the brake controller behind the left kick panel, the oil cooler, the tranny cooler and the 130A alternator.

Just two weeks ago I took home a 1972 FJ on a flatbed. It was around 5,000 lbs. I was so happy to have all of the above items, espescially driving down the mountains. We picked up the truck at 4,000 ft, climbed to 5,100 and dropped to 300 in the span of 30 miles.

If you are driving on flat ground, you'll be in ok shape with a Tekonsha Prodigy ($116 2-day shipped at Southwest Wheel of Dallas) brake controller and a Class IV receiver hitch. If you have hills in your plans, add a tranny cooler.

The wiring for the brake circuit isn't that tough, but it isn't going to be drop dead easy like it is for the factory pigtail. The brake controller will absolutely save your bacon, so don't skip this piece.
Old 03-03-2010, 12:58 PM   #7
Fore's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for all the advice, I do understand that I will need a break controller located and connected in the cab. My only concern at this point is to find out if anyone has switched their 4pin to a 7pin wire set by just plug and play method? This 7pin Toyota wire harness & connector I bought looks all plug and play to me with the complete wire harness/7pin connector/rear bulbs included. That's why I'm wondering if I can just swap it out using the plug and play connectors because it also has two break bulbs attached on this wire harness? It is my understanding that you can not just use an adapter from 4pin to 7pin and have electric brakes.
Old 03-03-2010, 01:18 PM   #8
GSRON is a glorious beacon of lightGSRON is a glorious beacon of lightGSRON is a glorious beacon of lightGSRON is a glorious beacon of lightGSRON is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Ron
GSRON's Tacoma Gallery
Your truck may or may not have the correct harness in it. If it does it should be a plug and play. I can't see them building two wire harness's for the same truck.

What you probably will be missing are the fuses and relays in the relay box at the battery that run the trailer lights and such.

Why your used harness has bulbs attached is another mystery. It should just plug in under the truck, if the wires are there.

Fuses and relays are listed in your owners manual..... RON
Old 03-03-2010, 03:16 PM   #9
Fore's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks Ron you seem to have a good understanding of what I'm trying to do.
Old 03-06-2010, 05:47 PM   #10
Fore's Tacoma Gallery
Ok, so the 7 pin wire harness/plug it looks likes it's pretty easy, plug and play. But what is the black plug and play go to the electric brake back into the cab via 10ft wire?
Old 03-06-2010, 07:52 PM   #11
DeathBound is a name known to allDeathBound is a name known to allDeathBound is a name known to allDeathBound is a name known to allDeathBound is a name known to allDeathBound is a name known to all

Army: Aviation
Name: Jay
DeathBound's Tacoma Gallery
7 pin has a 4 pin adapter, not the other way around, there is a reason for this.... Your truck isn't set-up to tow that much.