Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

HID Fog lights?

Old 03-02-2010, 09:41 PM   #1
bdwsrjoe is a splendid one to beholdbdwsrjoe is a splendid one to beholdbdwsrjoe is a splendid one to beholdbdwsrjoe is a splendid one to beholdbdwsrjoe is a splendid one to beholdbdwsrjoe is a splendid one to beholdbdwsrjoe is a splendid one to behold

Name: Joe
bdwsrjoe's Tacoma Gallery
Lightbulb HID Fog lights?

Are HID fog lights illegal? I've been getting alot of people flashing their high beams at me after installing them?
Old 03-02-2010, 09:46 PM   #2
You think I was rollin out here naked?
ToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MA
ToucanV13's Tacoma Gallery
Nope, did you make sure they are installed correctly with the reflector shield down? I remember reading a thread about that on an install or something to that effect. Probably just not used to seeing such a bright ass fog light. Also how lifted are you or do you have the bro lean?
Old 03-02-2010, 09:48 PM   #3
Low and slow
dually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 14S
dually's Tacoma Gallery
HIDs are meant to be used in a projector with a cutoff. You may have to fabricate some kind of cutoff to stop the random dispersion of light causing blindness of oncoming drivers.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:48 PM   #4
bdwsrjoe is a splendid one to beholdbdwsrjoe is a splendid one to beholdbdwsrjoe is a splendid one to beholdbdwsrjoe is a splendid one to beholdbdwsrjoe is a splendid one to beholdbdwsrjoe is a splendid one to beholdbdwsrjoe is a splendid one to behold

my headlight HID's came with a shield and i installed those correctly, but the fogs didn't come with a shield? im running a 3 inch lift.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:50 PM   #5
ToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by dually View Post
HIDs are meant to be used in a projector with a cutoff. You may have to fabricate some kind of cutoff to stop the random dispersion of light causing blindness of oncoming drivers.
x2 sounds like your solution. Either that or just use them for inclement weather
Old 03-02-2010, 09:55 PM   #7
Low and slow
dually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 14S
dually's Tacoma Gallery
Most likely not.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dually View Post
Most likely not.
I didn't think so, i've never heard of anybody getting a ticket for bright fogs but ya neva know.
Old 03-02-2010, 11:20 PM   #9

Then again, if you're severly blinding other drivers, you could get a ticket for hazardous operation of a veh IIRC. Best to look up TVC (texas vehicle code). I'm a cop in the Navy and I tell you what, I'm not sure about TX, but CA seems to have a CVC for everything. Just my .02
Old 03-02-2010, 11:54 PM   #10
Somewhere on sabbatical
mountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shed

mountainwolfpup's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to mountainwolfpup Send a message via Yahoo to mountainwolfpup Send a message via Skype™ to mountainwolfpup
Although law enforcement should have better things to do, actually Yes you can get a ticket for that. In Texas where you live there are two penal code statutes that concern the appropriate use and installation of fog lights:

Statute 547.328. FOG LAMPS PERMITTED.
(a) A motor vehicle may be equipped with not more than two fog lamps.

(b) A fog lamp shall be:
(1) mounted on the front of the vehicle at a height
from 12 to 30 inches; and
(2) aimed so that no part of the high-intensity portion of the beam from a lamp mounted to the left of center on a vehicle projects a beam of light at a distance of 25 feet that is higher than four inches below the level of the center of the lamp.

(c) Lighted fog lamps may be used with lower headlamp beams as specified by Section 547.333.

Statute 547.333. MULTIPLE-BEAM LIGHTING EQUIPMENT
REQUIRED.
(a) Unless provided otherwise, a headlamp, auxiliary driving lamp, auxiliary passing lamp, or combination of those lamps mounted on a motor vehicle, other than a motorcycle or motor-driven cycle:
(1) shall be arranged so that the operator can select at will between distributions of light projected at different elevations; and
(2) may be arranged so that the operator can select the distribution automatically.
(b) A lamp identified by Subsection (a) shall produce:
(1) an uppermost distribution of light or composite
beam that is aimed and emits light sufficient to reveal a person or
vehicle at a distance of at least 450 feet ahead during all conditions of loading; and
(2) a lowermost distribution of light or composite
beam that:
(A) is aimed and emits light sufficient to reveal a person or vehicle at a distance of at least 150 feet ahead; and
(B) is aimed so that no part of the high-intensity portion of the beam on a vehicle that is operated on a straight, level road under any condition of loading projects into
the eyes of an approaching vehicle operator.
(c) A person who operates a vehicle on a roadway or shoulder shall select a distribution of light or composite beam that is aimed and emits light sufficient to reveal a person or vehicle at a safe distance ahead of the vehicle, except that:
(1) an operator approaching an oncoming vehicle within 500 feet shall select:
(A) the lowermost distribution of light or composite beam, regardless of road contour or condition of loading; or
(B) a distribution aimed so that no part of the
high-intensity portion of the lamp projects into the eyes of an approaching vehicle operator; and
(2) an operator approaching a vehicle from the rear
within 300 feet may not select the uppermost distribution of light.
(d) A motor vehicle of a model year of 1948 or later, other than a motorcycle or motor-driven cycle, that has multiple-beam
lighting equipment shall be equipped with a beam indicator that is:
(1) designed and located so that the lighted indicator is visible without glare to the vehicle operator; and
(2) lighted only when the uppermost distribution of
light is in use.
Old 03-02-2010, 11:59 PM   #11
Mckeown343
Kyle is just really niceKyle is just really niceKyle is just really niceKyle is just really niceKyle is just really nice

Kyle's Tacoma Gallery
They are illegal in California. I got pulled over for my head lights and my fogs! The sheriff told me that they are starting to make a law for HID's specially. But its aftermarket like the tacoma dont come stock with HID's so its a ticket. But on the other hand like a crystler 300 has stock HID's not a ticket. Its 25 for a fix-it ticket now and the sheriff told me the ticket for the off highway lights (HID's) will be more than $100.
Old 03-03-2010, 01:01 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
They are illegal in California. I got pulled over for my head lights and my fogs! The sheriff told me that they are starting to make a law for HID's specially. But its aftermarket like the tacoma dont come stock with HID's so its a ticket. But on the other hand like a crystler 300 has stock HID's not a ticket. Its 25 for a fix-it ticket now and the sheriff told me the ticket for the off highway lights (HID's) will be more than $100.
Fight it until they have the HID cvc unless it's a code like above
Old 03-03-2010, 03:41 AM   #13
AzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Govenor's Twenty, Mobilization Trainer, Squad Designated Marksman, Flight Operations
Name: Andy
AzogSS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
Damn, they don't give y'all a break on anything in Cali... Guns, intakes, engine mods, now fog lights and aftermarket HID's??
Old 03-03-2010, 04:10 AM   #14
SC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Grant
SC4333's Tacoma Gallery
In my opinion, if you are driving around with hid fogs, blasting all of your fellow motorist as they drive by then you deserve a ticket. A foglight like what comes on the Tacoma is not designed to utilize a hid bulb. All you end up doing is dispersing light every which way you can imagine.
Old 03-03-2010, 04:40 AM   #15
AzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Govenor's Twenty, Mobilization Trainer, Squad Designated Marksman, Flight Operations
Name: Andy
AzogSS's Tacoma Gallery
Some stock Silverado fog lights are blinding without HID's, what should be done in that case?
Old 03-03-2010, 07:30 AM   #16
Mckeown343
Kyle is just really niceKyle is just really niceKyle is just really niceKyle is just really niceKyle is just really nice

Kyle's Tacoma Gallery
The thing is i was out at my local desert and was on the dirt road heading back to the freeway with all four of my 55 watt HID's on. The sheriff pulled me over as soon as i hit the pavement. He said he could see me from 4 miles away and that if i have HID's in my fog lights then they have to be covered?? He was a weird guy. I was just polite and told him yes sir i bought the truck like this. lol still gave me the ticket though
Old 03-03-2010, 07:43 AM   #17
YGWYPF
RainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Naval Aviator
RainDodger's Tacoma Gallery
Ok, I don't get it. Why would anyone want HID fog lights? There are basically 2 types of aux lights - fog lights and driving lights. They are 2 different things. Driving lights have a long range, with a "pencil-type" beam, made for seeing a long ways down the road. Fog lights have a low, wide, and short range beam, for literally going under the fog, along the roadway, and for seeing well to the sides of the vehicle. They are designed for slow speed use.

Fogs should only be used in the FOG. They create glare when combined with rain, as they reflect off shiny pavement. Generally speaking, unless you live somewhere that heavy fog is a usual occurence, fog lights are pretty stupid to have. Why they put them on vehicles as nearly standard equipment, baffles me.

Driving lights, on the other hand, are useful. Generally they are illegal if used in combination with high-beams. They are supposed to be used only with low beams in MOST places. (I wire mine to work WITH high beams, but I figure I'm only using them when no one is in front of me anyway... in 40+ years of using driving lights, this has worked great.)

So, my bottom-line opinion is, fog lights are stupid and why anyone would try to make them brighter by putting in HIDs is beyond me. They will just create monstrous glare most of the time. If you want HIDs, combine them with DRIVING light lenses (or off-road lights). They'll be useful there. (Off-road lights are a totally different animal and shouldn't be mounted down low like fogs though - different subject.)

Then again, I don't get the craze for turning on fog lights anyway. You don't look any more "cool" than any other time, and you just piss people off, which doesn't do any of us any good.

There. That's the way it is.
Old 03-03-2010, 07:51 AM   #18

I guess ill just keep turning them off when somebody flashes me........
Old 03-03-2010, 07:56 AM   #19
YGWYPF
RainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Naval Aviator
RainDodger's Tacoma Gallery
If people are flashing you, they're likely aimed too high. Adjust them down a bit. Just point the truck at a garage door and bring them down just a little, equally. Not hard. There are adjustments on the back of them.
Old 03-03-2010, 08:25 AM   #20
jusmac is just really nicejusmac is just really nicejusmac is just really nicejusmac is just really nice
jusmac's Tacoma Gallery
you will get a ticket

I currently do the R&D for PIAA corp. usa and yes they are illegal and yes you can get a ticket. any HID that is not factory installed in the united states is illegal. alot of companies get around selling them here by saying "for offroad use only" and such. Either way you will probably not get a ticket depending on where you live but, yes there are illegal.