1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

front diff bearing replacement

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Silver_Taco, Mar 3, 2010.

1. Nov 10, 2010 at 6:56 AM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    Thread revival. Taking my Truck to the dealer to get the bearing checked. Hope it goes well.

Hope they don't give me a Yaris as a loner vehicle.../

2. Nov 10, 2010 at 7:37 AM
    Krazie Sj

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    They totally gave me a Yaris.

3. Nov 10, 2010 at 7:46 AM
    wiscdave

wiscdave Lets Do It!

Member:
    Northern Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Rock Warrior
    Past ride - 3" OME 885s&Shocks/ TSB 1.5AAL/ AX184 Rims 285 Firestone destination ATs/ 2 Shallow mount P310s in Supercrew Box - Punch 601s, Beefed up Hunter Brush guard, Tint, Fog light mod, AFE Drop in, AC and Fog light mods, scangauge
    :popcorn:

4. Nov 10, 2010 at 4:51 PM
    Krazie Sj

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    No dice. Truck is lifted and because I do all my own work, the only service they have on there is the one back in October of 2007.

I was told to install a Differential drop and replace the differential.

5. Nov 11, 2010 at 8:38 AM
    05Moose

05Moose Middle-Aged Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    In the snow (NorCal)
    Vehicle:
    '05 4x4 DC LB SR5 #8 (LSD, Tow Pkg)
    '05 4x4 DC LB SR5 (LSD & Tow Pkg), Timbrens, AAL, 5100s (1.75), Owned: 12/3/04 Mods: Fog, Map/Dome Light, Illuminated 4wd Switch, Washable Cabin Air Filter
    That stinks (but been there, done that). New Diff will run you around $1600 if you do it yourself ($2200 at the dealership). Used is about half that (or a little less). Or you can be the first to tear it down and give us pics of the failing bearings. Let us know when/if you decide to take one of these routes. I vote you take the last option.:D

6. Nov 11, 2010 at 8:47 AM
    wiscdave

wiscdave Lets Do It!

Member:
    Northern Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Rock Warrior
    Past ride - 3" OME 885s&Shocks/ TSB 1.5AAL/ AX184 Rims 285 Firestone destination ATs/ 2 Shallow mount P310s in Supercrew Box - Punch 601s, Beefed up Hunter Brush guard, Tint, Fog light mod, AFE Drop in, AC and Fog light mods, scangauge
    I personally think that alot of this failing bearing talk is all drummed up by the dealership not being able to find the problem. The service techs don't want to look like morons and just say yep...front diff is bad and destroy the bearing getting things apart. If you only replacing with the same parts, it should just fail again. Until there is an upgraded bearing/bracket/reenforcement to stop it from occuring again, what makes you think just a normal replacement is going to fix anything..end rant.

Lets look at mpg, if your front diff bearing is gone ...there should be some serious drag on the front driveline hurting mpg. I get this same vibe, goes away in 4*4 but I've got almost 20k on it since my lift and mpg have not changed. In fact I find the vibe comes more often during the cold weather...when its hot out its not there. WEIRD. makes me think something else.

7. Nov 11, 2010 at 8:57 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    I dont know, he may have hard time doing that since replacing diff bearing is not as easy as oil change :cool:

8. Nov 11, 2010 at 12:10 PM
    Metallikatz3

Metallikatz3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    SLC, UT
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB OR
    Always in process
    I keep saying I'm gonna buy a used diff and tear my old one apart to see what is actually involved in replacing that bearing... But my vibes just aren't bad enough to warrent it yet.

I've been having issues for just about a year, and so far it hasn't gotten any worse then when I first noticed it.

9. Nov 12, 2010 at 11:27 AM
    BBBsti LTD

BBBsti LTD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ashburn, VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off Road 4WD
    When you guys try using the 4x4 on/off to diagnose the vibration, how do you guys do it? Let's say the vibration is @ 50 mph, do you guys switch to 4wd at stop or while driving at high speed?

Also is it bad for the truck to be driven at 50 to 60 mph in 4wd on the freeway in order to hear and rule out the if the vibration happens only 4wd?

10. Nov 13, 2010 at 5:16 PM
    Krazie Sj

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Driving at speed. Just make sure you're going in a straight line. And no it's not bad to drive it at that speed.

11. Feb 24, 2011 at 5:30 PM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
  12. May 1, 2011 at 5:23 AM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    Just wanted to update.

I took my truck to the dealership and they replaced the front diff along with both cv's. When I drove away I was so relieved that the problem was gone. Now, 2 months later, it's back. Yes I have a 2.5" fat bobs urethane spacer lift. Not sure if that makes a difference between any other lift. It shouldn't. Now I will be going back to the dealer to find out if they have a better idea, or are they just going to keep replacing.

13. Jul 14, 2012 at 8:13 PM
    Sack17

Sack17 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Sanibel, FL
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma DBL Cab TRD Sport 4x4
    Bed lights Blacked out sport wheels blacked out emblems BHLM Spidertraxx 1.5" wheel spacers factory roof rack custom yakima wind fairing w/ PIAA off road lights up top snowboard/ski rack surf board pads fog light mod custom interior cup holder l.e.d. lights Bestop topper custom L.E.D. rear facing lights Maglite mod (2 front seats) 3.25" in the front 2.5" in the rear 6 Hella 500ff's (w/ Silverstar's) Silverstar Ultra's in headlights Silverstar Ultra in fogs (retro-fitted 65w 9005's) Hi-Lift (mounted on side of bestop) Shovel (mounted on side of bestop) custom 1.5" body lift
    I'd say it could be your thin metal brake dust cover thing. They could have bent it a little when doing your wheel bearing b/c it is seated in between your hub assembly and your spindle. I just replaced my wheel bearing and mine is rubbing a little too when I turn a sharp left.

14. Jul 14, 2012 at 8:27 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    OP was 28 months ago dude.

15. Jun 24, 2015 at 9:13 PM
    chadstacoma

chadstacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    chad
    mcclave,colorado
    Vehicle:
    2005 tacoma crew silver trd
    I have put several of these bushings in now and yes problem solved no more noise and it was very easy and the first few have been in and doing great no troubles for a lot of miles including mine. I almost garuntee u if u have the front end noise that aint wheel bearings this bushing kit will fixd it and the place that sells and makes the bushings offers ythe puller tool for a gread deal as well so ask bout it when you buy the bushing complete kit cost me around 80 bucks but the best spent money ive ever spent
    hope this helps

16. Nov 29, 2015 at 1:05 PM
    gracianoh

gracianoh Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 1e7 access cab 4x4
    what bushings are you talking about chadstacoma? got a link?

17. Nov 29, 2015 at 1:22 PM
    chadstacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    chad
    mcclave,colorado
    Vehicle:
    theres a huge write up on the front diff needle bearing to bushing replacement if you look on the tech part. there is a aftermarket company that makes the bushing and its easy to put in if you have any mechanical background. it will almost def take the front end noise away that they all end up getting at some time or another.they even have the removal tool you need to take it out.let me know if you find it.

18. Nov 29, 2015 at 1:24 PM
    gracianoh

gracianoh Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 1e7 access cab 4x4
    Is it the east coast gear supply ? Does it take the vibration sway too?

19. Nov 29, 2015 at 1:27 PM
    chadstacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    chad
    mcclave,colorado
    Vehicle:
    yes that's it its called the ecgs bushing, and yes that's what it was designed to do. the needle bearings if you are familiar with them get dry then make a vibration as the dry needles roll around the shaft inside them needle bearings all do it eventually in anything. so this bushing is oil infused brass and everybody I know personally tht has done it has been very pleased with results.

20. Nov 29, 2015 at 1:35 PM
    05Moose

05Moose Middle-Aged Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    In the snow (NorCal)
    Vehicle:
    '05 4x4 DC LB SR5 #8 (LSD, Tow Pkg)
    '05 4x4 DC LB SR5 (LSD & Tow Pkg), Timbrens, AAL, 5100s (1.75), Owned: 12/3/04 Mods: Fog, Map/Dome Light, Illuminated 4wd Switch, Washable Cabin Air Filter

Products Discussed in

To Top