1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Next gen engine talk

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by mgrande, Mar 3, 2010.

1. Mar 3, 2010 at 6:05 PM
    mgrande

mgrande [OP] iKill

Member:
    Raleigh
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD off road
    Kings, AP 3" leaf pack, timbrens front and rear, TC UCA's, pro comp 7189's, baja ATZ's, CBI sliders and rear, relentless front, dynomax catback
    I wanted to start a thread to discuss the newest engine technology all manufacturers are using and what we could expect/hope in the next few years as we wait to see what the new tacoma will offer.
    I guess I can start it off by saying I'm fairly impressed by the eco boost engines ford is starting to release specs for. They have a new 3.5 liter V6 (turbo charged) that produces 355hp and 350 lb-ft. Gas mileage would only be slightly better than our current engine though.

Next, would be some form of a TDI diesel.I know alot of you guys really want it, but I think there would be too much for toyota to only offer one diesel truck. I do know that what has kept other makers from making american diesels for so long is because our diesel is lower quality than in europe. Don't know if thats the only factor though.

Then you have hybrid, which seems to be toyota's preference of next gen engines.

What if we had some sort of cylinder displacement like GM or dodge (minus the bankruptcy), and out V6's would just go down to 4 when not needed?

2. Mar 4, 2010 at 4:22 AM
    blackwatertaco

blackwatertaco If you ain't stuck, You ain't tryin hard enough.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Alvin/Pasadena, Tx
    Vehicle:
    08 taco, 4x4 2.7 5spd.
    One fucked up diff. breather mod, 265/75/16 Destiny Dakota M/T Black gulf states rims BHLM Magnaflow 14" muffler with cut off tail pipe. 10" pioneer slim truck sub with JBL 600W amp. PROJECT BLACK OUT
    I think Toyota need to come out with a Heavy duty line...Just like the big 3.

A Tundra with a I-6 turbocharged engine 3/4 and 1 ton trucks.

A Tacoma with a small 4cly diesel would be awesome. Kinda like the 4bt Cummins but more technology advanced.

Coming from a past diesel truck driver, I'd be all over this.

3. Mar 4, 2010 at 4:33 AM
    dog tired

dog tired Well-Known Member

Member:
    NE Ohio
    You would be among the few

No one wants a diesel except a few

In the states diesel engines and fuel are too expensive
    The fuel difficult to find

if it wasn't might be different

4. Mar 4, 2010 at 4:56 AM
    blackwatertaco

blackwatertaco If you ain't stuck, You ain't tryin hard enough.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Alvin/Pasadena, Tx
    Vehicle:
    08 taco, 4x4 2.7 5spd.
    One fucked up diff. breather mod, 265/75/16 Destiny Dakota M/T Black gulf states rims BHLM Magnaflow 14" muffler with cut off tail pipe. 10" pioneer slim truck sub with JBL 600W amp. PROJECT BLACK OUT
    I don't know were you are, But in Texas diesel is in every 4 out of 5 stations.

Products Discussed in

To Top