Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Tacoma @ Dealer getting rear TSB = 3 days (WTF) Question on AAL/Shock install qoute??

Old 03-04-2010, 12:39 PM   #1
VeNoMiZeD is on a distinguished road
VeNoMiZeD's Tacoma Gallery
Tacoma @ Dealer getting rear TSB = 3 days (WTF) Question on AAL/Shock install qoute??

Hey there,

Well I dropped my truck off yesterday 3/3 for the rear TSB. Intially I went in the week before and spoke to the service writer to order the parts (so I thought) to get my truck in and out ASAP. Fast forward to yesterday, I get there and nothing was ordered. I then asked him how long will this take. He told me they would need to check it out and then it should be ready the following day, which is today 3/4. So I called today and asked when my truck will be ready and he now tells me that the parts never came and that it will be in tomorrow. So now it's a total of three days that they will have my truck and leaves me with no primary vehicle. To top it off I have a platinum coverage and he denied my rental car, saying that they are out of them because of the prius recall. WTF, all he had to do was look at my damn truck and notice that there were 3 leaves, order the damn parts, let me come in on the day we agreed on and put them on. But no......I didn't want to press the issue because I don't want to be denied the rear TSB. Especially since my truck has under 1k miles. So I'm letting it slide this time.

To my next rant: I bought a set of wheels and tires from 4WP and my set came in today. But they are so booked that they have an appointment until Monday? Are you serious, to mount and balance and throw them on my truck takes that long that they can't squeeze me in?

So I ordered some 5100/5125 rears and Toytec AAL. I asked 4WP for install price. He said $275 + 125 for alignment. Forget the alignment part. Im heading to firestone for the lifetime alignment $150. So is $275 a fair price for the shock/aal install? How much should I get it for if not? Unfortunately I have no other options of installing them myself or friends. No tools, no space are my problems. I live in Condo that does not allow working on vehicles and have no friends with experience with things like this. Thanks for the help!
Old 03-04-2010, 12:50 PM   #2
BassPilot is a glorious beacon of lightBassPilot is a glorious beacon of lightBassPilot is a glorious beacon of lightBassPilot is a glorious beacon of lightBassPilot is a glorious beacon of lightBassPilot is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Bennett
BassPilot's Tacoma Gallery
What dealer are you having the TSB performed at?
Old 03-04-2010, 05:40 PM   #3
Make mine a Double!
skistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud of

Navy:
Name: Mike
skistoy's Tacoma Gallery
you should be having the dealer install the billy's for delaying your truck, they will have it apart anyways.

Your having the TSB and a AAL??
Old 03-04-2010, 05:49 PM   #4
'Stralia! Riding Roo's and wrangling koalas
Redfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Conner
Redfox1's Tacoma Gallery
You shouldnt leave your truck with them until they actually get the parts. I dont know about the install of the shocks part, but im in the same boat. I got the TSB done and ordered the shocks and am now looking for a place to put them on. Hopefully it wont be too expensive.
Old 03-04-2010, 05:49 PM   #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by skistoy View Post
you should be having the dealer install the billy's for delaying your truck, they will have it apart anyways.

Your having the TSB and a AAL??
Yes, 5 leaves total with 5100 fronts and 5125 rears. My shocks are being delivered sometime tomorrow, whenever UPS gets here. By then the TSB should be done.
Old 03-04-2010, 05:56 PM   #6
If The World Didn't Suck, We'd All Fall Off
Rocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
Rocketball's Tacoma Gallery
I had the exact same problem with my dealer. Didn't order any parts until the truck was at their doorstep, even though I called and scheduled an appointment and they knew EXACTLY what I was coming in for.....
Old 03-04-2010, 06:28 PM   #7
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
So is $275 a fair price for the shock/aal install? How much should I get it for if not? Unfortunately I have no other options of installing them myself or friends. No tools, no space are my problems.
You kind of answered your own question. You stated that you have no other options so the answer is yes-$275 is a good price.

I am also going to play a little devil's advocate here and say there probably is a little more to the story with the dealership. If the situation is really as convoluted as you describe I would either A) schedule with another dealership or B) Have a little patience with a free suspension upgrade and pray that everything works out. Sure, three days is a little extreme but I know a lot of service bays are unusually busy due to all this recall business and I would assume that recall work would take priority.
Old 03-04-2010, 06:28 PM   #8
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
save the parts, and go to the norcal section. there is a mod day coming up..we can converge on your truck and have those parts put in..one hour, two tops.

let me add...i bet those toyo dealerships are slammed.
Old 03-04-2010, 06:31 PM   #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexterdog View Post
You kind of answered your own question. You stated that you have no other options so the answer is yes-$275 is a good price.

I am also going to play a little devil's advocate here and say there probably is a little more to the story with the dealership. If the situation is really as convoluted as you describe I would either A) schedule with another dealership or B) Have a little patience with a free suspension upgrade and pray that everything works out. Sure, three days is a little extreme but I know a lot of service bays are unusually busy due to all this recall business and I would assume that recall work would take priority.
Well I do have other options of shopping around for pricing. I just don't know what a fair price would be for a job like that. So I thought I would ask here and get a honest answer.
Old 03-04-2010, 06:34 PM   #10
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
$275 sounds like a decent price. i bet a pro could do it fast. so maybe they are giving themselves 2 hours?
Old 03-04-2010, 06:34 PM   #11
I understand there is a recall, but when I go to a dealer the week before to streamline the process. I just don't get why they couldn't have ordered the parts beforehand, instead of holding my truck there.
Old 03-04-2010, 10:33 PM   #12
DTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DTacoms's Tacoma Gallery
I can't believe you left your truck while waiting for parts and without a loaner car. That dealership is stupid to tell you that they can not provide you one because of prius recall. They need to provide one from a rental company (like hertz or enterprise)!

$275 is a resonable price.
Old 03-04-2010, 10:46 PM   #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTacoms View Post
I can't believe you left your truck while waiting for parts and without a loaner car. That dealership is stupid to tell you that they can not provide you one because of prius recall. They need to provide one from a rental company (like hertz or enterprise)!

$275 is a resonable price.
Yeah I know, if I didn't have my parts ordered and on it's way and parts were purchased with TSB in my mind. I would have complained more but I didn't want to ruin my chance and blow my whole setup.