Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Kobalt tool box

Old 03-04-2010, 07:25 PM   #1
05tacoSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed05tacoSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed05tacoSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed05tacoSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed05tacoSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed05tacoSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed05tacoSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed05tacoSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed05tacoSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed05tacoSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed05tacoSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
05tacoSPORT's Tacoma Gallery
Kobalt tool box

I picked up a slim tool box and didnt like the finish so i got it powder coated black and LOVE IT. But my ? is what is the best way to mount it?
Old 03-04-2010, 07:33 PM   #2
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
The easiest way it to install it is with j-hooks. Do a search and you'll find some threads on it.
Old 03-04-2010, 07:37 PM   #4
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by senor taco View Post

At least wait until he mounts it!
Old 03-04-2010, 07:43 PM   #6
05tacoSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed05tacoSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed05tacoSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed05tacoSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed05tacoSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed05tacoSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed05tacoSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed05tacoSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed05tacoSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed05tacoSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed05tacoSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by senor taco View Post
my bad.

OP}Did you get it at home depot?
Lowes then to the metal prep shop
Old 03-04-2010, 08:00 PM   #7
Griztaco is a splendid one to beholdGriztaco is a splendid one to beholdGriztaco is a splendid one to beholdGriztaco is a splendid one to beholdGriztaco is a splendid one to beholdGriztaco is a splendid one to beholdGriztaco is a splendid one to behold
Griztaco's Tacoma Gallery
I was thinking of doing the same, what is the price range on powder coating a tool box?
Old 03-04-2010, 08:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griztaco View Post
I was thinking of doing the same, what is the price range on powder coating a tool box?
$100 Inside and out looks great and tuff
Old 03-04-2010, 08:21 PM   #9
Griztaco is a splendid one to beholdGriztaco is a splendid one to beholdGriztaco is a splendid one to beholdGriztaco is a splendid one to beholdGriztaco is a splendid one to beholdGriztaco is a splendid one to beholdGriztaco is a splendid one to behold
Griztaco's Tacoma Gallery
wow, that's cheap, I'll have to get a quote from a local place here.
Old 03-04-2010, 09:15 PM   #10
Logically Insane is a name known to allLogically Insane is a name known to allLogically Insane is a name known to allLogically Insane is a name known to allLogically Insane is a name known to allLogically Insane is a name known to all

Name: Wes
Logically Insane's Tacoma Gallery
I got the same toolbox, mounted with j-hooks into the tracks and its held fine for a couple of months now.
1 thing though. The Kobalt boxes (or mine at least) has 4 HUGE slots for bolts. Do something to seal them up, otherwise, if you wash your truck, and aim the hose anywhere near your box, it will get water in it. Minimal water, but still.. Don't want them tools to get rusty. I did some rigging, and siliconed it in.. Today come to think of it.. haha
Old 03-05-2010, 05:04 AM   #11
If You Search...You Shall Find.
uood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Uniform / Marked Patrol
uood8's Tacoma Gallery
you can get the grip mounts and they will fit into your rail system if you flip around the bolts, mine is held that way and hasn't moved an inch.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:47 PM   #12

Old 03-05-2010, 08:31 PM   #13
The tacoman is on a distinguished road
The tacoman's Tacoma Gallery
I bought that same tool box last week. Can't beat the price of $148 for it. I decided to paint mine myself so I color matched it to my truck. I will be mounting it tomorrow, but haven't decided exactly how I am going to do it. I want to be able to pull it out pretty easily if I want the extra room in my bed. Which way of mounting it is the best for this?
Old 03-07-2010, 03:06 PM   #14
dmb has much to be proud ofdmb has much to be proud ofdmb has much to be proud ofdmb has much to be proud ofdmb has much to be proud ofdmb has much to be proud ofdmb has much to be proud ofdmb has much to be proud ofdmb has much to be proud of

Air Force: Metal's Tech
dmb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack_5150 View Post
can u elaborate?

sorry, dont mean to be a jerk........Im contimplating buying one too, and was wondering what kinda mounting options are out there.

this will help un-clutter my access cab a bit.

Check out what I did with my Kobalt toolbox. Another option to consider.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...rip-rites.html
Old 03-10-2010, 01:52 AM   #15
tads is on a distinguished road

Name: Tad
tads's Tacoma Gallery
What part number did you guys get? I can never figure if I need the full size or compact truck box.
Old 03-10-2010, 02:29 AM   #16
kanelakos has a spectacular aura aboutkanelakos has a spectacular aura about
Air Force: Prime BEEF Unit,DMAFB
kanelakos's Tacoma Gallery
I have a low profile box (not over rails). I bolted mine with three 1/4" bolts and fender washers. If someone want to try to steal it, it will be more difficult and time consuming. Pic shown is box in 06, now installed in my 09.
Attached Thumbnails
Kobalt tool box-dsc00388.jpg  
Old 03-10-2010, 03:39 AM   #17
Class IV Category 8 Elite VIP Member (Only)
BradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bradley
BradleyScottETC's Tacoma Gallery
I think I actually have the easiest way to mount the tool box. 4 1" tec screws.

Then I used spray adhesive and carpeted the whole inside of the box. NEVER moved.
Old 03-10-2010, 01:48 PM   #18
kanelakos has a spectacular aura aboutkanelakos has a spectacular aura about
Air Force: Prime BEEF Unit,DMAFB
kanelakos's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradleyScottETC View Post
I think I actually have the easiest way to mount the tool box. 4 1" tec screws.

Then I used spray adhesive and carpeted the whole inside of the box. NEVER moved.
Easy to install, easy to steal. Those screws will rip right out of composite bed with a wonder bar.
Old 03-10-2010, 02:24 PM   #19
BradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanelakos View Post
Easy to install, easy to steal. Those screws will rip right out of composite bed with a wonder bar.
touche.
Old 03-10-2010, 02:50 PM   #20

Yeah, and if you ever take the tool box off (like I did), get a $2 tube of black roofing caulk and dab it in the holes. Invisible.