1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

USA Spec PA12 or 15

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by evolution6972, Apr 17, 2008.

1. Apr 17, 2008 at 5:17 AM
    evolution6972

evolution6972 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    whats the diferance between the 12 and the 15 is one better does anyone have trouble with these i am planning on ordering one real soon
    thanks
    D

2. Apr 17, 2008 at 6:09 AM
    kaszeta

kaszeta Well-Known Member

Member:
    My PA12-TOY has always been flakey in "Hybrid" mode, and USA Spec is pretty annoying about it ("Yeah, it does that sometime" and "it doesn't work right with some models of iPod[1]").

Direct mode works fine, however, and I've decided that I like running the iPod better that way.

[1] Hybrid mode doesn't work right on any of my currently-owned iPods (2nd gen Nano, 2nd gen Mini, or iPod touch").

3. Apr 17, 2008 at 8:55 AM
    SteelCity

SteelCity Wherever I May Roam

Member:
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    06 Radiant Rd DC LB PreRunner SR5 V6
    Optima Red/Stinger Terms, DT Headers, Empire O2 sim, Bluetooth, USASpec PA12TOY, Redline Struts, Extang Tonneu, OEM Bed Mat/front Skid/Roof Rack, Grillcraft Grille, Susp TSB, Toytec 1/2" front spacers, Raammat/Ensolite, Sony GTs, Curt Hitch, Tranny cooler, Wet Okoles, AFE Pro-Dry Drop in, Muth Sig Mirrors, Temp/Comp RVM, Silverstar HLs/Fogs, Royal Purple Diff/PS Fluid, Detroit Truetrac LSD, Hellwig rear sway bar, SG II, Filter Mag, 265/75/16 Nitto TGs
    I have the 12 and it's the same way. great product, although for the price I would expect it to work better. I think some of the issues lie with the iPod/iTunes as opposed to the USA Spec. Mine doesn't always have the name of the song pop up, and it doesn't always give me the correct play list, but I still like it since it can be used with the steering wheel contols and works great 80% of the time. The times when it doesn't I just manually pick a song on the iPod if I don't like what's playing. I have a 2nd gen. Nano.

4. Apr 17, 2008 at 9:45 AM
    maverick491

maverick491 Towing Guru

Member:
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 Access Cab, TRD off road, 6 cyl, 6 spd
    Activator III brake controller, Extang Fulltilt toneau, Factory bed mat, Extra D-rings in the bed, 2ndary air filter removed, Garmin Ique GPS, Eco-2, AFE Pro Dry-s filter, USASPEC PA12-toy, Pioneer 3-way speakers, SG II on Blendmount, Gulf States Alarm added.
    The 12 has been discontinued. The 15 is it's replacement, though off the top of my head I am not sure what the changes were. I experienced a bit of the flakey behavior after upgrading the firmware on the ipod. This is a 30gig classic I have. My mother's gen 2 nano worked flawlessly since she has never upgraded hers, and my wife's gen 3 nano acted just a flakey after the firmware update.

I beleive that the problems are on apple's end, and maybe the 15 corrects this? but I do not know for sure.

5. Apr 17, 2008 at 4:31 PM
    evolution6972

Member:
    well that does help allot i am leaning towards the 15 and i have the 2 gen nano 4 gig cause i can order the 12 but i like to have the new stuff but can you tell me what hybrid mode is cause i do wanna controll it through my stereo cause i have a stick shift n dont wanna have to read my pod at the same time n i dont have the steering controlls

6. Apr 17, 2008 at 4:52 PM
    maverick491

maverick491 Towing Guru

Member:
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 Access Cab, TRD off road, 6 cyl, 6 spd
    Activator III brake controller, Extang Fulltilt toneau, Factory bed mat, Extra D-rings in the bed, 2ndary air filter removed, Garmin Ique GPS, Eco-2, AFE Pro Dry-s filter, USASPEC PA12-toy, Pioneer 3-way speakers, SG II on Blendmount, Gulf States Alarm added.
    There are a series of DIP switches on the side of the controll box. DIP switch 2 (atleast on the 12) is for mode. Set it to on for Hybrid mode, and off for Direct mode.

Direct Mode: Search and select music through the IPOD just as you would when listening to it through headphones. Additionally you can skip and fast-forward/reverse the playback using the controlls on the radio.

Hybrid Mode: Operate the Ipod as if it were a CD changer, which pulls 5 playlists from the IPOD (first 5 available or the ones that you re-name Toyota 1-5) with the 6th disc being All songs on the ipod. Additionally you can still look-up and pick whatever song you want through the ipod controlls directly.

Seems to me, that Hybrid mode is the most user friendly, but also the part that has gotten a little screwy on me since the firmware update as well.

But either mode lets you controll both through the ipod directly and through the radio.

7. Apr 17, 2008 at 6:44 PM
    evolution6972

Member:
    wow yall are good fully detailed in everything i needed to know all of you get an A++++ one more question how old is your units they dont die easily do they

Products Discussed in

To Top