1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Use 4WD on wet pavement?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by HeidiJ, Mar 6, 2010.

1. Mar 7, 2010 at 9:48 AM
    NMG

NMG Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ottawa
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport
    I tend to agree with this. I always take the view that if I "need" 4WD to safely travel at highway speeds, it's simply too slick out and I need to slow down. I also don't think I've ever used 4WD for rain covered roads. I tend to use it for very low traction situations like mud, deep loose gravel, snow, etc. I have driven in some pretty extreme rain, but I've never found that my tires on their own couldn't handle that situation (especially since in that situation I had to slow down because of reduced visibility, etc.). Good tires with lots of tread will also play a huge role.

Glad to hear you are okay!

2. Mar 7, 2010 at 10:03 AM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    Now, with the '09 + Tacomas that have VSC when in 2WD, needing 4WD on wet paved roads for safety is perhaps a thing of the past. I used to use 4WD on wet roads to prevent the rear end from spinning out and fishtailing (yah, too much gas on my part) in my former Tacomas. My 2010 (in 2WD) just stays glued to the road like if it was in 4WD and won't let me get into a wreck!

3. Mar 7, 2010 at 10:07 AM
    danb86

danb86 East Ender

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Long Island, NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 I4 Access Cab 4x4
    I, too, am familiar with the Taconic and that road scares the shit out of me in good conditions!

I realize that 50 doesn't sound fast, but on that road in the rain with potential ice conditions? Crazy.

4. Mar 7, 2010 at 11:33 AM
    hoosiertaco

hoosiertaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    right on Judy!! I drove home twice this year on solid ice after dark. On one instance, I found out the next day the reason the drivers behind me kept dissappearing was because they were sliding off the road.:eek: I guess I was too focused on the road to see them slide.oops. Very well worth the investment! And like you said, abs rarely kicks in because the ice picks help you slow down as well.:thumbsup: Just took mine off and put the summer set on, which like Judy said, stay nice.:D

5. Mar 7, 2010 at 11:50 AM
    jrukus

jrukus jason r

Member:
    queen charlotte islands
    Vehicle:
    black '08 trd tacoma
    285/70/17r tires on stock rims, sirius radio
    What I like to do when I think the roads are gonna be sketchy I fill inner tubes with sand and toss them in the very back of the box. Helps quite a bit, 'cause the ass end of these tacos are so light its ridiculous. I was driving to work this winter, 3 degrees outside, following a dumptruck on a long straight stretch doing 80 km in a 90 km zone, so I pulled out to pass and it was like the truck hit it's "power band" and the fuckin truck kicked completly sideways. So here I am gaining speed as I am drifting side to side using both lanes getting closer and closer to the back of this dumptruck and I just keep sliding. Fuckin' scary. I managed to keep control but I came within 4 feet of this dumptruck's back tires. Ever since, when I think the roads are questionable I throw the sand bags in.

6. Mar 7, 2010 at 1:52 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    I would argue driver skill and judgment makes a vehicle safe or unsafe, not the vehicle itself.

Plenty of us get around in our 4x4s during nasty conditions without incident, myself included...

7. Mar 7, 2010 at 5:46 PM
    ecrepeau

ecrepeau Well-Known Member

Member:

I drive on the Taconic everyday and was having major issues with the stock tires when we started getting all the nice Northeastern weather this year. Switched to Goodyear Fortera Tripletreds and they have been amazing. I live in Beacon, NY and when we just got the two+ feet of snow last week they performed amazingly. Also, have had a lot of ice from it melting and refreezing and have had no issues.

http://www.goodyeartires.com/goodye...dline=Fortera+TripleTred&mrktarea=Light+Truck

I have a D-cab 4x4 Tacoma and I couldn't be happier with the purchase of these tires. I highly recommend.

8. Mar 7, 2010 at 8:22 PM
    HeidiJ

HeidiJ [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Heidi
    New York
    Vehicle:
    Basic model

Wow! Beacon. I know you had no power last week because after I crashed my truck, I went to work for another 18 hour day. And the day after that, and the day after that and...well, I sorta lost track.

Thanks everyone for the great tips and for the support. I feel very connected to other Tacoma lovers out there. Great forum, great advice. Thank you all!

9. Mar 7, 2010 at 9:16 PM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
    Since the OP had their question answered...

I'll just add that I use 4WD on the highway when it rains so that I can cheat and keep my front diff and all 4x4 parts lubricated.

Owners manual says to use 4x4 at least 10 miles a month to assure proper lubrication.

10. Mar 8, 2010 at 3:40 PM
    skistoy

skistoy Make mine a Double!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    09 4X4 SR5 BSP Double Taco
    Rear Spring TSB,Billy 5100@.85,Bull bar,Nerfbar,Painted Grill,Painted Rims,Bed D-rings,Compustar Starter,Goodyear Duratrac's,Transmission TSB,Brake Overide
    This is why you put it in 4WD before its needed.
    These people who state you should only use 4wd in the mud, you'll break your truck, etc, are getting on my nerves. If they're scared to use their 4wd then why did they buy one.
    If the conditions call for the use of 4wd, then put it in 4wd before you actually need it.
    This is a perfect example of why, he is a experienced driver yet it still happened. And dont start with the 4wd does nothing on ice, everyone knows that. But when trying to regain traction, 4wd is always better than 2wd. The difference is i would already be in 4wd beforehand. Then i would have a chance to recover.
    You dont have time to put it in 4wd once you lose control !!!

11. Mar 8, 2010 at 3:42 PM
    skistoy

skistoy Make mine a Double!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    09 4X4 SR5 BSP Double Taco
    Rear Spring TSB,Billy 5100@.85,Bull bar,Nerfbar,Painted Grill,Painted Rims,Bed D-rings,Compustar Starter,Goodyear Duratrac's,Transmission TSB,Brake Overide

X's a million

12. Mar 8, 2010 at 3:45 PM
    JohnnyGato

JohnnyGato God of Thunder ...and Rock N' Roll!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Vegas Island
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD SR5 V6 4x4 Off Road
    Limo tint, Sirius/XM radio, Wet Okole's, Weathertech's, Rhino Lining, blacked out badges, shorty antenna, painted speaker (tweeter) covers, blue LED running lights, Icon 3" lift, Pro Comp 17" 7005's, 33" (285/70/17) Good Year MT/R's with kevlar.
    I learned that in black ice... you're screwed. Same thing happened to me, but my damage was about $450.00 replacing the front fascia. Thank God I was going slow and NO ONE was in front of me. I hit ice and nailed the guard rail which stopped me from going into the embankment. I was only doing about 20 mph and yes, it was in 4WD. I was living in Portland OR at he time and after that I determined that I needed chains and that I'd avoid driving in ice/snow altogether. I'm glad I moved to Vegas!

13. Mar 8, 2010 at 4:12 PM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    Excellent... X2+

14. Mar 13, 2010 at 4:39 AM
    HeidiJ

HeidiJ [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Heidi
    New York
    Vehicle:
    Basic model
    Hey all, I posted up the pics from before the wreck and after. That is me leaving for work at 5am going to work another 20 hour day. Not a bit of trouble so long as the roads were snowy. Clear roads, just wet/icy...crash. Alas. :( Pics are in my gallery. --Heidi

Products Discussed in

To Top