1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Removing air bag visor stickers?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by catskillbill, Apr 17, 2008.

1. Apr 17, 2008 at 5:40 PM
    catskillbill

catskillbill [OP] Member

Member:
    Delaware County,NY
    Vehicle:
    '08 TRD Sport DC LB 4.0 Auto Indigo Ink
    Looking at those warning stickers bugs the hell out of me. Anyone rip them off? Will that damage the material underneath, or leave a memory of where they were? Just wondering before I do it.

2. Apr 17, 2008 at 5:43 PM
    TACOROCK

TACOROCK Well-Known Member

Member:
    FAYETTEVILLE NC
    Vehicle:
    06 TACOMA LIFTED
    URD SUPERCHARGER 80MM PULLEY, DOUG THORLEY LONG TUBE HEADERS, MODIFIED Y-PIPE, TRUE DUAL EXHAUST MAGNAFLOW 2 IN 2 OUT, PRO COMP 6" LIFT, WIDEBAND 02/FUEL SENSOR, AVIC D3, 2 PIONEER SUBS ON A MEMPHIS 1200 WATT AMP RMS, DIY MOD FOR ALL INTERIOR SPEAKERS FULL TINT, LEER CAMPER, EURO LIGHTS, BILLET GRILL, BULL BAR WESTIN RUNNING BARS, AIR HORN, AND A RADIATOR POPPER
    dont bother!!!! seriously ruins the visor!! if you do manage to get em off you will see excess sticky crap for ever... and any off roading dust or pollen will stick to it!!

3. Apr 17, 2008 at 6:16 PM
    catskillbill

catskillbill [OP] Member

Member:
    Delaware County,NY
    Vehicle:
    That was in the back of my mind before I did it, that's why I brought it up. Maybe somebody on here has a trick or two that works.

4. Apr 17, 2008 at 6:17 PM
    808trdsport

808trdsport Well-Known Member

Member:
    Honolulu
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma TRD Sport Prerunner
    6000k HIDS, double tint in the back and tint front side windows, CGS cat back exhaust, AFE Pro Dry filter
  5. Apr 17, 2008 at 6:34 PM
    Toy4Life

Toy4Life 668: The Neighbor of the Beast

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Slippery Rock, PA
    Vehicle:
    96 Subaru Outback 2.2 5mt
    92 4Runner SR5 3.0v6 4x4(sold) 02 Tacoma SR5 TRD Offroad 4x4 (sold)
    I could be wrong, but don't they have to be there legallly

6. Apr 17, 2008 at 11:14 PM
    zmtnbik

zmtnbik FMLYHM

Member:
    Vehicle:
    4x4 Trd Off-road
    Donahoe (Icon) C/O, TC UCA's, Dakar leafs, BilStein 5125's, 285/70/17 BFG MT KM2's, Raceline Renegade 17x9's, u-bolt flip kit, debadged, TRD CAI, TRD exhaust, URD MAF controller, 20% front window tint, 3M clear bra on bumper, cam locks in all storage compartments, fog light mod, Alpine X100 deck, Co
    I've heard the best way to remove them is with steam. Using your iron with a steam setting should do the trick...but as others have mentioned, you will probably end up doing more damage then it's worth. It may just be easier to recover the visors with matching velor/cloth.

7. Apr 18, 2008 at 3:52 PM
    spp

spp OC, Kalifornia

Member:
    OC California
    And don't remove that tag on your mattress or the MATTRESS COPS will come get you!:eek:

8. Apr 21, 2008 at 5:22 PM
    Toy4Life

Toy4Life 668: The Neighbor of the Beast

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Slippery Rock, PA
    Vehicle:
    96 Subaru Outback 2.2 5mt
    92 4Runner SR5 3.0v6 4x4(sold) 02 Tacoma SR5 TRD Offroad 4x4 (sold)
    No kidding! I had a helicopter over my house at 2 AM and the F'n SWAT Team repelling through my bathroom skylight over one of them pillow tags. The SOB's teargassed my kids' bedrooms, kicked my dog, and dragged me outta my house in my undies. And all because of a stupid dare. :rolleyes:

9. Apr 21, 2008 at 7:14 PM
    Hotdog

Hotdog My hair is all natural Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner SR5 Double Cab
    Wet Okole Underwear
    If you just hate having lawyer speak visible, you can remove them with an iron and replace with the "big nuts required" sticker or some other equally offensive sticker. I'm almost certain that you will not be able to get the 100% clean look without recovering the visor.

10. Apr 22, 2008 at 8:15 PM
    Dave Russell

Dave Russell Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 4x4
    I took mine off with a steam iron. It's easy. Steam the bejesus out of the stickers and pick up the corner and peel them off. Should come off in one piece. Then use 3M adhesive remover (spray) and soak the area real good. Scrub the adhesive with a brass or stainless detail brush (looks like a hellish tooth brush -auto supply item) The material is way stronger than you would think and the adhesive wipes off with a face cloth. This step may have to be repeated a couple of times.You just want to work the remover into the adhesive area and let it work. The spray evaporates quickly so load lots on . It took me about 1 hr. and the visors look great-just a very slight shadow where the stickers were.(not sticky at all) This was covered on Toyota nation or Tundra solutions website and lots of people have done it on all kinds of vehicles. Good luck! (P.S. don't smoke a fatboy while you do this -you'll blow yer eyebrows off cause of the evaporating spray!!!)
    (PPS- take the visors off... way easier)

11. Apr 22, 2008 at 8:46 PM
    Gordon-Gekko

Gordon-Gekko Member

Member:
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida
    Vehicle:
    08 2.7 PreRunner SR5
    Ivan Stewart Wheels, RollBak Tonneau, Hellwig Rear Sway Bar, URD Short Throw Shifter, LC Engineering Header, Fumoto F-103, WT SW Deflectors
    Any chance you can post a few pics of the finished product?

Thnx
    GG

12. Apr 24, 2008 at 8:39 PM
    Dave Russell

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 4x4
    I'll try to get my son to set it up ... sorry I'm a techno-dweeb

13. Apr 25, 2008 at 11:56 AM
    TicTacOma

TicTacOma UnderWater Monopoly Champion

Member:
    First Name:
    Anastatia Beaverhausen
    Columbia,SC
    Vehicle:
    I'm Thinking...Oh Yeah...An FJ
    It's all in my head at the moment...
    Pop'm off and drop them off at the upholstery shop.

14. Apr 25, 2008 at 2:46 PM
    Turbonium

Turbonium I wanna haul stuff

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    '08 SR5 4x2 Access Cab w/SnugTop
    Mods? What's a mod? Bone stock, baby. Well, okay. Maybe a few smallish mods. If you count a locking gas cap, coin holder and a behind-the-seat trash bag.
    I've been contemplating buying a visor from the dealer, cutting it up to get a rectangular piece of fabric, and then pasting it over the sticker.

The steam removal thing sounds good, but I'm afraid I'd mess it up.

15. Apr 25, 2008 at 6:24 PM
    catskillbill

catskillbill [OP] Member

Member:
    Delaware County,NY
    Vehicle:
    Thanks Dave for the details. I think I'll take the visors off and try the steam trick.

16. Apr 25, 2008 at 9:45 PM
    Dave Russell

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 4x4
    Sorry -I forgot one step that may not be that important... I put a damp facecloth over the stickers and ironed over top of the cloth-that was suggested by one of the originators of this method.I checked mine out this morning when I got in the truck and yessir they look deluxe- you can still see a little shadow where the sticker was due to fading I guess but just barely visible.I'm going out to take a pic now but it may not show up-we'll see.

Well I guess the shadows don't show-they are barely visible to the naked eye and I think they will go away ... even if they don't it's better than looking at the dang stickers !!!!

100_1074 (Small).jpg
    100_1078 (Small).jpg
    100_1080 (Small).jpg

17. Sep 8, 2008 at 6:27 PM
    TacoCo

TacoCo Aspiring wrench monkey

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off-Road DC V6 Magnetic Gray
    Snugtop XV Shell, Yakima Rack, AFE Pro Dry Filter, Secondary Air Filter Removed, Michelin AT2's, Partially Debadged, HID conversion, Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler, Rear leaf spring TSB, Foglights always on Mod, URD Short Throw Shifter, Toytec Coilovers on the way!
    You got that right. I just did mine. I don't know if the wet rag is necessary, just be sure to use low heat on the iron, as it will melt the sticker if it gets too hot. Once you get the corner up, and the stickers start peeling away, be sure to stop and heat them up again when you get a little resistance... it's much easier if you get them off in one piece. :D

My wife bought a gallon can of "Goof Off" a while back, and I looked at her thinking she was nuts... I've since found hundreds of uses for that stuff, including getting the adhesive off of the visor fabric. I used a detail brush and a clean rag, and it worked great.

18. Sep 8, 2008 at 10:28 PM
    Hotdog

Hotdog My hair is all natural Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner SR5 Double Cab
    Wet Okole Underwear
    oh great. yours looked great, and I just decided to try mine and they look like ass. The stickers are off and the cloth is tight, but it is definitely obvious that there was a sticker there.

19. Sep 9, 2008 at 7:56 AM
    TacoCo

TacoCo Aspiring wrench monkey

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off-Road DC V6 Magnetic Gray
    Snugtop XV Shell, Yakima Rack, AFE Pro Dry Filter, Secondary Air Filter Removed, Michelin AT2's, Partially Debadged, HID conversion, Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler, Rear leaf spring TSB, Foglights always on Mod, URD Short Throw Shifter, Toytec Coilovers on the way!
    You can tell on mine too that the stickers were there, but it doesn't look worse than it did with those damn stickers. I'll probably get mine reupholstered eventually, but at least now it's tolerable.

20. Sep 9, 2008 at 9:48 AM
    red06toy

red06toy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Worcester MA
    Vehicle:
    Impulse red OR, 2.5 lift
    2.5 toytec, bilstein 5100 black grille, black lights, partially shaved decals remaning ones black, , trd fj wheels, sirius, Ipod interface, pre-filter delete
    I just slowly pulled mine off, you could tell for the first week or so then it blended in

Products Discussed in

To Top