Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Removing air bag visor stickers?

Old 04-17-2008, 05:40 PM   #1
catskillbill is on a distinguished road
catskillbill's Tacoma Gallery
Removing air bag visor stickers?

Looking at those warning stickers bugs the hell out of me. Anyone rip them off? Will that damage the material underneath, or leave a memory of where they were? Just wondering before I do it.
Old 04-17-2008, 05:43 PM   #2
TACOROCK is an unknown quantity at this point

TACOROCK's Tacoma Gallery
stickers

dont bother!!!! seriously ruins the visor!! if you do manage to get em off you will see excess sticky crap for ever... and any off roading dust or pollen will stick to it!!
Old 04-17-2008, 06:16 PM   #3
Thanks

That was in the back of my mind before I did it, that's why I brought it up. Maybe somebody on here has a trick or two that works.
Old 04-17-2008, 06:17 PM   #4
808trdsport has a spectacular aura about808trdsport has a spectacular aura about

808trdsport's Tacoma Gallery
on my scion we cover it up with a sticker like this. You might want to check out a local decal shop to match the color. http://randode.com/store/product50.html

Old 04-17-2008, 06:34 PM   #5
668: The Neighbor of the Beast
Toy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chad
Toy4Life's Tacoma Gallery
I could be wrong, but don't they have to be there legallly
Old 04-17-2008, 11:14 PM   #6
FMLYHM
zmtnbik has a spectacular aura aboutzmtnbik has a spectacular aura aboutzmtnbik has a spectacular aura about

zmtnbik's Tacoma Gallery
I've heard the best way to remove them is with steam. Using your iron with a steam setting should do the trick...but as others have mentioned, you will probably end up doing more damage then it's worth. It may just be easier to recover the visors with matching velor/cloth.
Old 04-18-2008, 03:52 PM   #7
spp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to behold
spp's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy4Life View Post
I could be wrong, but don't they have to be there legallly
And don't remove that tag on your mattress or the MATTRESS COPS will come get you!
Old 04-21-2008, 05:22 PM   #8
668: The Neighbor of the Beast
Toy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chad
Toy4Life's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by spp View Post
And don't remove that tag on your mattress or the MATTRESS COPS will come get you!
No kidding! I had a helicopter over my house at 2 AM and the F'n SWAT Team repelling through my bathroom skylight over one of them pillow tags. The SOB's teargassed my kids' bedrooms, kicked my dog, and dragged me outta my house in my undies. And all because of a stupid dare.
Old 04-21-2008, 07:14 PM   #9
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
If you just hate having lawyer speak visible, you can remove them with an iron and replace with the "big nuts required" sticker or some other equally offensive sticker. I'm almost certain that you will not be able to get the 100% clean look without recovering the visor.
Old 04-22-2008, 08:15 PM   #10
Dave Russell is on a distinguished road
Dave Russell's Tacoma Gallery
I took mine off with a steam iron. It's easy. Steam the bejesus out of the stickers and pick up the corner and peel them off. Should come off in one piece. Then use 3M adhesive remover (spray) and soak the area real good. Scrub the adhesive with a brass or stainless detail brush (looks like a hellish tooth brush -auto supply item) The material is way stronger than you would think and the adhesive wipes off with a face cloth. This step may have to be repeated a couple of times.You just want to work the remover into the adhesive area and let it work. The spray evaporates quickly so load lots on . It took me about 1 hr. and the visors look great-just a very slight shadow where the stickers were.(not sticky at all) This was covered on Toyota nation or Tundra solutions website and lots of people have done it on all kinds of vehicles. Good luck! (P.S. don't smoke a fatboy while you do this -you'll blow yer eyebrows off cause of the evaporating spray!!!)
(PPS- take the visors off... way easier)
Old 04-22-2008, 08:46 PM   #11
Gordon-Gekko is on a distinguished road

Gordon-Gekko's Tacoma Gallery
Post pics of finished visors?

Any chance you can post a few pics of the finished product?

Thnx
GG
Old 04-24-2008, 08:39 PM   #12
I'll try to get my son to set it up ... sorry I'm a techno-dweeb
Old 04-25-2008, 11:56 AM   #13
UnderWater Monopoly Champion
TicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: F-15 Crew-Chief
Name: Anastatia Beaverhausen
TicTacOma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to TicTacOma
Pop'm off and drop them off at the upholstery shop.
Old 04-25-2008, 02:46 PM   #14
I wanna haul stuff
Turbonium is on a distinguished road

Turbonium's Tacoma Gallery
I've been contemplating buying a visor from the dealer, cutting it up to get a rectangular piece of fabric, and then pasting it over the sticker.

The steam removal thing sounds good, but I'm afraid I'd mess it up.
Old 04-25-2008, 06:24 PM   #15
Thanks Dave for the details. I think I'll take the visors off and try the steam trick.
Old 04-25-2008, 09:45 PM   #16
Sorry -I forgot one step that may not be that important... I put a damp facecloth over the stickers and ironed over top of the cloth-that was suggested by one of the originators of this method.I checked mine out this morning when I got in the truck and yessir they look deluxe- you can still see a little shadow where the sticker was due to fading I guess but just barely visible.I'm going out to take a pic now but it may not show up-we'll see.

Well I guess the shadows don't show-they are barely visible to the naked eye and I think they will go away ... even if they don't it's better than looking at the dang stickers !!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Removing air bag visor stickers?-100_1074-small-.jpg   Removing air bag visor stickers?-100_1078-small-.jpg   Removing air bag visor stickers?-100_1080-small-.jpg  
Old 09-08-2008, 06:27 PM   #17
Aspiring wrench monkey
TacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of light

TacoCo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Russell View Post
Well I guess the shadows don't show-they are barely visible to the naked eye and I think they will go away ... even if they don't it's better than looking at the dang stickers !!!!
You got that right. I just did mine. I don't know if the wet rag is necessary, just be sure to use low heat on the iron, as it will melt the sticker if it gets too hot. Once you get the corner up, and the stickers start peeling away, be sure to stop and heat them up again when you get a little resistance... it's much easier if you get them off in one piece.

My wife bought a gallon can of "Goof Off" a while back, and I looked at her thinking she was nuts... I've since found hundreds of uses for that stuff, including getting the adhesive off of the visor fabric. I used a detail brush and a clean rag, and it worked great.
Old 09-08-2008, 10:28 PM   #18
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Russell View Post
Sorry -I forgot one step that may not be that important... I put a damp facecloth over the stickers and ironed over top of the cloth-that was suggested by one of the originators of this method.I checked mine out this morning when I got in the truck and yessir they look deluxe- you can still see a little shadow where the sticker was due to fading I guess but just barely visible.I'm going out to take a pic now but it may not show up-we'll see.

oh great. yours looked great, and I just decided to try mine and they look like ass. The stickers are off and the cloth is tight, but it is definitely obvious that there was a sticker there.
Old 09-09-2008, 07:56 AM   #19
Aspiring wrench monkey
TacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of light

TacoCo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsocoee View Post
oh great. yours looked great, and I just decided to try mine and they look like ass. The stickers are off and the cloth is tight, but it is definitely obvious that there was a sticker there.
You can tell on mine too that the stickers were there, but it doesn't look worse than it did with those damn stickers. I'll probably get mine reupholstered eventually, but at least now it's tolerable.
Old 09-09-2008, 09:48 AM   #20
red06toy is a splendid one to beholdred06toy is a splendid one to beholdred06toy is a splendid one to beholdred06toy is a splendid one to beholdred06toy is a splendid one to beholdred06toy is a splendid one to beholdred06toy is a splendid one to beholdred06toy is a splendid one to behold

red06toy's Tacoma Gallery
I just slowly pulled mine off, you could tell for the first week or so then it blended in