1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

be honest. have you ever had any "cargo" fall out of your truck?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by aficianado, Mar 6, 2010.

1. Mar 7, 2010 at 6:26 AM
    blackwatertaco

blackwatertaco If you ain't stuck, You ain't tryin hard enough.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Alvin/Pasadena, Tx
    Vehicle:
    08 taco, 4x4 2.7 5spd.
    One fucked up diff. breather mod, 265/75/16 Destiny Dakota M/T Black gulf states rims BHLM Magnaflow 14" muffler with cut off tail pipe. 10" pioneer slim truck sub with JBL 600W amp. PROJECT BLACK OUT
    I lost a trailer once...seriously I did.

I was towing a 20' car hauler with my old truck, I just had some junk C10 chevy on it so all in all the trailer was about 3000k all together, I had the engine in my bed.

Anyways, I was going over an overpass one of the right side tries stripped the luggs and fell off then shortly afterthat, my drawbar failed and the trailer was dragging the ground.. Well The C10 stayed put thank god. I had a wrecker come hook up to the trailer and haul me off the overpass.

Now I double check and tripple check EVERYTHING...

2. Mar 7, 2010 at 6:40 AM
    Blumpkinson

Blumpkinson Fuelled by plutonium and wild animals

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    OR
    Vehicle:
    03 4x4 5spd
    Well it didn't fall out of the truck but my dad and i didn't properly secure the boat to his hitch. He hit a huge bump leaving town and it jumped off smashed through his tailgate, luckily we had the safety chains on, however when it landed it bent the shit out of the front of the trailer.:anonymous::facepalm:

Nothing a big freakin hammer and 1/4" plate couldn't take care of:rolleyes:

3. Mar 7, 2010 at 6:40 AM
    saltshaker

saltshaker Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    johnny
    north carolina
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Off Road MGM AC
    AFE CAI, Fold-a-cover
    we were driving down a power-line trail one night, there were four or five of us in the back of the truck, one guy decides he's going to take a leak over the tailgate at the same time we hit the big mud hole at the bottom of the hill and he flips right over. So I guess we strap him in next time?

4. Mar 7, 2010 at 6:41 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    :eek::eek::eek:

5. Mar 7, 2010 at 6:41 AM
    ColtsTRD

ColtsTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    nope...

:anonymous:

6. Mar 7, 2010 at 6:42 AM
    bb609

bb609 O.F.

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD Sport Access Cab
    FOX 2 1/2" CO's STOCK UCA's - They used to be Icons! Icons suck!!! TSB Rear w/Bilstein 5100's - Air Lift System - Leer 550 Bedcover - Ventshades - Yota Bed Mat - Sheepskins!!! - Weathertechs
    I had a near miss with my 15' glass boat with 40 hp o/b once. Typically, I'll leave the straps loose when it sits on the trailer for any length of time. Well, you can guess what I didn't do the next time I pulled it. By the time I realized it, the boat slid a good 4 feet off the trailer!:eek: but thankfully caught just in time.

7. Mar 7, 2010 at 6:43 AM
    saltshaker

saltshaker Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    johnny
    north carolina
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Off Road MGM AC
    AFE CAI, Fold-a-cover
    I had a empty milk jug work its way out of a trash bag and fly out once, but I feel guilty when I look in my mirror and see leaves flying out of my truck if someones behind me.

8. Mar 7, 2010 at 6:45 AM
    paintdiddy

paintdiddy Machine gun shits

Member:
    First Name:
    shithead
    nj and not from "the jersey shore"
    Vehicle:
    silver bullet
    i had my friends 02 toyota d/c with the short bed.driving on the highway when my $1200 48" gas powered boat flew out(on the way to fedex) and was destroyed.i had to refund the ebay buyer is money and tell him what happened.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  9. Mar 7, 2010 at 6:58 AM
    Jigzor

Jigzor Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    20 Gladiator Rubicon
    Steersmarts Draglink, Tie rod, Track Bar
    When I was a kid I remember watching our newly purchased grill fly up and out the back of the truck onto the highway.

10. Mar 7, 2010 at 6:58 AM
    xsvtoyz

xsvtoyz Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    AL
    Oklahoma
    Vehicle:
    03 Pre-Runner Inprogress
    HID (ACA)/ Web cams/ Header/Full Custom exhaust/ K&N FIPK II/SuperCharger
    was helping the ex move her office and she had 3 nice wooden desks I strapped the middle and last desks thinking that the 200lb desk and it close to the cab would be fine, NOPE the wind when I went under an underpass vacuumed that bad boy up and lifted a good 25 feet and it seriously imploded on impact. Nothing left over 1 ft long. was kinda cool to watch.

I used to have a old VW bug and the rear window seal rotted out (I was unaware) I mounted 2 15 inch subs and a 1000watt amp hit the road cruising the freeway and hit a big bass note and instant glass confetti. Camaro behind must have soiled himself for sure!

no loads in the truck with out a strap for each one any more.

11. Mar 7, 2010 at 7:03 AM
    w8n4mud

w8n4mud I'm back.

Member:
    First Name:
    Albert
    Chula Vista, CA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma Off Road DCSB
    Stock. Purchased 2/17/19. Cement!
    I had a portable back-up generator fall out of the bed. It struck the bed extender when I pulled out onto the main street (tailgate was down). The guy behind me pulled over and helped me put it back in the truck as well as the bed extender which went flying the other direction. The sides of the bed extender bent and it became useless from that point forward. Generator was fine... in a new box.

12. Mar 7, 2010 at 7:50 AM
    kd8awe

kd8awe Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rocky
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off Road
    Fog mod, 3" lift, ShoMe stobes, MicroLight LED Strobes, HiLift Jack, RCI 2950, Yaesu 8900r, 20% Tint, ScanGauge II, Weathertech Side Window Deflectors, *** New Mod's (parts on the way) *** U-Bolt flip kit. Tom Woods 1 Piece Double Cardan Drive Shaft. 3* Axel Shims
    I just got a NEW (still had store tags on it) fiberglass 10 foot step ladder that some asshat didn't tiedown and left it on the road. I stopped pulled it off the highway and waited for someone to return for 20 min. No one did. Guess its mine. Put it in my taco (tied it down) and went home.

13. Mar 7, 2010 at 8:01 AM
    BradleyScottETC

BradleyScottETC Class IV Category 8 Elite VIP Member (Only)

Member:
    First Name:
    Bradley
    Lake County, FL
    Vehicle:
    10 4.0 AC 4x4
    Some idiot slammed on his breaks in front of me when I was hauling a huge 50hp chilled water pump in my older work truck, an F-250... The impeller turned my diamond plate tool box into a crushed soda can. HILARIOUS (because it wasn't mine)

14. Mar 7, 2010 at 8:05 AM
    Blumpkinson

Blumpkinson Fuelled by plutonium and wild animals

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    OR
    Vehicle:
    03 4x4 5spd
    Haha Good Find

15. Mar 7, 2010 at 8:28 AM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver4dr. 4x4, V6 Shortbed
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners, Camper shell, ultimate headlight upgrade. URD -3° exhaust cam gears, .5" XTP Intake spacer. Custom dents.
    I hauled 3 of the new city trash cans to the parish dump, the way there I had tied them down made it their with no issue. However on the way back I had my buddy tie them down. Needless to say 2 of the3 flew out. Good thing I travel slow and on back roads. I noticed them moving and started pulling over before they got out all ended on the side of the road and in a ditch. No cars were even around.

16. Mar 7, 2010 at 8:31 AM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    I went for a drive one time with a friend that had a convertible vw bug. While going down the freeway, the top caught wind and flew off...he kept driving along and acted like nothing happened. Of coarse this was back in the early seventies so he might have been one toke over the line if ya know what I mean.

17. Mar 7, 2010 at 9:49 AM
    kyzmyss

kyzmyss Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl. Cab TRD Sport 4x4
    Unfortunately, yes...

I admit, I was stupid though...My GF was moving out of her condo and we had numerous wardrobe boxes. They sit about 4' tall and have a rod inside so you can hang your clothes on it. I thought, what a clever box...you don't even have to take the clothes off the hanger!

I packed four of them in the bed of my truck. I said, hmmm...they are pretty heavy, no need to tie it down...

Until I hopped onto the freeway and started to see them shift around a bit...Then...it happened...

One box flew end over end onto the freeway. the next vehicle struck the box and clothes flew everywhere.

Needless to say, my GF was sad. She started balling and I felt terrible. I ended up parking the truck and getting out trying to recover as much clothes as possible. I even had CHP shut down the freeway so I could run out and grab the clothes in the freeway lanes. Most clothes were tore up. It was a sad day.

Lesson learned...

18. Mar 7, 2010 at 9:51 AM
    mattioss

mattioss Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Milford, De
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner DB TRD Sport
    None
    i dont know if this qualifies as falling OUT, but i was carrying an engine block, rearend and transmission in the bed, and the ropes tying down the engine block broke and it bounced around in my bed and took chunks out of the material the bed is made out of, luckily no other damage i went over a bump and it happened so i used that as my excuse to get the rear TSB done!

19. Mar 7, 2010 at 10:12 AM
    NetMonkey

NetMonkey Well-Known Member

Member:
    Geogetown, TX
    Vehicle:
    2010, 4x4, DC, off-road, shortbed, automatic
    Toytec Ultimate Lift @ 3", Mickey Thompson MTZ's 285/75/16, Moto Metal 955b, rear 2" ALL, Marlin Crawler sliders
    i have never lost anything off the back of my truck. i am so anal about tieing down my cargo that there is no way anything will fall out.

however, i did see someone with a toyota loose a load....
    it was during one of the santa ana winds we get in so cal. i was driving on the 57 fwy (just north of the 22 fwy), when a massive gust (probably 60 mph) blew the camper shell off this toyota truck in front of me. the shell blew about 200 feet above the freeway and hovered there for about 5 seconds and then came down like a rock on the other side of the freeway. luckily, it didnt come down on any cars and no one slammed into it.

everyone on the side of the freeway that i was on let out a collective sigh of relief :)

20. Mar 7, 2010 at 10:15 AM
    silvertaco82

silvertaco82 No way, get real

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Bozeman, MT
    Vehicle:
    2010 AC TRD Sport 4x4
    TRD Seat Covers, Weathertech floor mats, Sockmonkey Decals, Pro Comp 6", 35" Nitto Trail Grapplers, 18x9 XD addicts, 20% tint, Kenwood Dnx 5120, 2 10" Kicker Shallow mount subs
    coming home from vacation our bike flew off the back of our old 4runner and got lodged in some russian's window

Products Discussed in

To Top