1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Your opinon on trading truck in

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by AFTaco, Mar 7, 2010.

?

Gid rid of the Taco or Keep it based on my situation?

Poll closed Apr 6, 2010.
  1. Keep it and buy a trailor

73.9%
  2. Sell it and get a Dodge 2500 Diesel

26.1%
  1. Mar 7, 2010 at 12:00 PM
    vinnyvavoom

vinnyvavoom Well-Known Member

Member:
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2020 White SR5 4WD DC LB
    of course
    If the Taco can haul the weight of trailer + toy + accessories, keep the Taco. You will have to rack up a lot of miles to reap the benefit of the gas milage difference. Or if you want a bigger truck, get it. You only live once and you will own a lot of vehicles during that time. Maybe in five years you will be trading it for a battery powered truck, heck, maybe Obama will buy it for you.

2. Mar 7, 2010 at 1:11 PM
    AFTaco

AFTaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off-road
    Well I purchased the taco in Atlanta 4 months ago and drove it up to Alaska. I paid 27k for it there and I can sell it for 31k with the campershell. I can possible make 2-4k on it if I sell it. But if I sell it, I will have to buy an over infalted vehicle up here. I was thinkin of getting a used Dodge in the 30-40k price range. The trailor with the toys will weigh around 4k lbs estimated. I love the vesitility of having a midsize truck, but I also love having a full size when I need it. I cannot make up my mind of which I love more. The best truck I ever owned besides the Taco was a 95 Nissan Hardbody. It suited me well and I still miss it to this day. I know the Taco can pull the trailor with no problems. With the posts so far, I'm at 60% leaning towards keeping the taco. I value all of your opinons. Thanks a bunch!

3. Mar 7, 2010 at 1:13 PM
    AFTaco

AFTaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off-road

Vinny, you make a good point. I'm the type of person who is never satisfied and buys a new vehicle every 3-5 yrs. Thanks!

4. Mar 7, 2010 at 1:57 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat

Rep for you. No one else caught the lol.

5. Mar 7, 2010 at 2:10 PM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    [​IMG]

6. Mar 7, 2010 at 2:21 PM
    mick478

mick478 He is The STig

Member:
    First Name:
    Bott
    Stockton, CACA
    Vehicle:
    2011 White TRD Sport, 4x4 doublemint cab
    Ome 885 coils Ome n9000 front shocks Ome n182 rear shocks K&n drop in filter Duratracs Kenwood kac 90210d Kicker 12" Alpine 800 watt 4 channel Pioneer 430w 6x9 Firestone ride rite air springs
    honestly a trailer would be more cost effective as long as you have ONE of each at a single time. dont really know what a snow machine is so i cant comment on it. i have a yfz450 quad and my 4banger and carry it with ease, in the bed. my truck has also towed up to 3500 puonds, maybe even more, and was struggleing, but with a 4 banger...... if i had the v6 and my quad wont fit in the bed, i know the griz are BIG, then i would TRY a trailer for a weekend, u-haul comes to mind, if you dont like the feeling of pulling a trailer, or its too much weight, then you would know for sure sell your taco, and get the dodge. my personal opinion, if you can live with bare minimums, do it, if not upgrade, and dont forget to live WITHIN your means, good luck!

7. Mar 7, 2010 at 2:29 PM
    madcatter

madcatter Well-Known Member

Member:
    western pa
    Vehicle:
    2010 tacoma
    jl audio stealthbox jl audio slash g2-500/1v2 good year dura-tracs jl audio g-class 50wattX2amp mb quart 5 1/4" rear matted mb quart 6.5 comp.set lotsa dynamat 4ga amp kit 16 gauge wire kit control knob on dash pioneer avic-x910bt in dash navigation dvd playback sirus tuner/bus interface built in blue tooth toyota environmental package leaf tsb weather tech floor liners yellow wire mod gray wire mod compartment bed lights added tie down d rings
    i would get a duramax with the allison tranny.resale value is a non issue cause you will never want to get rid of it.

8. Mar 7, 2010 at 2:30 PM
    paintdiddy

paintdiddy Machine gun shits

Member:
    First Name:
    shithead
    nj and not from "the jersey shore"
    Vehicle:
    silver bullet
    i would do a powerstroke before the cummins.my brother had a cummins to tow a 3 car trailer with a 5th wheel.the truck sounded like it wanted to die straight from the showroom.it was a dog before the loaded trailer.

9. Mar 7, 2010 at 5:19 PM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    The vehicle market in Alaska must be jumping because in the lower 48 you would be lucky to get $24K. Maybe I need to take a drive up to Alaska.

Yeah, but it's a really big six cylinder.

10. Mar 7, 2010 at 5:44 PM
    tuckr2

tuckr2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western Washington State
    Vehicle:
    2010 Silver dbl cab LB 4x4 It's Purdy too!
    LT265/70/17 BFG A/T's, Disabled Seat Belt Buzzer, Black and Gray Covercraft Seat Covers front and rear, Matching SnugTop Supersport Canopy, undercoat, bed mat, window vent shades. Black Weathertech Liners. Trans TSB, Rear Spring TSB Installed.
    Sell the Taco for the 31K. Fly to Seattle and buy that Dodge. Then ship it back or take the scenic drive to break it in.

11. Mar 7, 2010 at 8:07 PM
    tonkatoy

tonkatoy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    08 White TRD Sport Acc 4x4 6 spd
    Too bad Toyota didn't make a little diesel for these Tacomas in the US. That would have stopped me from thinking about getting a "Big Truck" myself. I wouldn't even need my penis pump anymore. But then again, Toyota is the same crap as the rest of the American companies. Might as well get the "Big Truck" man. My Tacoma is a lemon. Many problems. Don't know about anybody elses.

12. Mar 7, 2010 at 9:47 PM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    Yeah, but it was still a...nm.

Mines a tank. No issues whatsoever.

13. Mar 8, 2010 at 12:47 PM
    DIVERMAN

DIVERMAN Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cullen
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite Mica 4x4 TRD O/R SWB
    Tailgate theft prevention, Locking rear window, Blind spot mirrors, Fogs on anytime, Rear diff breather relocated, Bed storage locks, LEDs in/out, Relocated trailer plug(custom!), OEM bed mat, OEM running boards, OEM bed divider, Bed lights, Rev lights, Raptor lights, WeatherTech floor mats and window vents, Extra D-rings, ImMrYo Bracket, UWS low pro black toolbox, Carhartt seat covers,
    i have had 2 dodges, 1/2ton and 3/4ton diesel. they where 2 of the best trucks i have ever owned. and i'm on my 4th toyota now! i traded in my 3/4 diesel for this truck. if you are going to tow, get the diesel. yes, the taco can handle it. but thats not what it was designed for. over the long haul anyway. the only diesel imo to own is the cummins! and if you are buying new you will not get thats kind of mileage UNLESS you do the emmisions deletes. you will get around 16-18 stock. i was getting 26mpg stock in mine and 23-24mpg with 33's and no lift, when i could keep my foot out of it.:)

i don't tow anything ever (which is why i got rid of it) but, i spend alot of time on the road. 2hrs one way min. and hual a lot of gear for work in the bed. so, i'm really leaning to getting another fullsize. prolly 1/2ton this time, and yes it will be another dodge. i'm not getting into the pissing match of my brand is better than your brand. buy what you want, i've owned all the majors, and THEY ALL NEED IMPROVEING!!! but if you buy a new diesel, do you're homework. ford and chevy 10's req. urea or exhaust fliud, dodge doesn't. so you have to figure that into you're monthly cost and the availbility of it. just my .02's good luck. and to hell with everyone else. if you can make the payments, why not, you can't take it with you!

edit: mine was a 2006 2500 4x4

14. Mar 8, 2010 at 1:03 PM
    Khaos

Khaos Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD SPORT Prerunner
    3” spacer lift, 285/75/17 KO2, Spidertrax 1.25” spacers

God I would love to go on a road trip to Alaska. You lucky SOB...

15. Mar 8, 2010 at 5:17 PM
    kbaum08

kbaum08 Well-Known Member

Member:
    US of A
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road dbl cab 4x4 barcelona red
    Jason Topper, Bed Rug, Weather Tech floor liners, Garmin Nuvi 760, Scan Guage, Trd exhaust, AFE dry air filter, shrockworks rock sliders, heated seats Katzkin leather, 2+ inch OME lift shocks etc heavy duty, ARB front bumper, Warn winch, Pia lights, rocktek rear bumper, locking tailgate,
    You are kidding yourself if you think you can get close to 25 mpg on a new Dodge with the Cummins I owned a 2005 for a could of years put 35K on it and never came close to that, mostly stock.
    I did drive it to Alaska with a Northstar pop-up camper on the back it did well averaging 16 mpg driving 55-60mph. On the way back my rearend went out and was replaced at the dealership. Not enough options leather etc for my wive and she did not like backing down the boat ramp with the manual transmission. Keep the Taco if you are going to tow the toys you mentioned no problem with those, if you buy a large trailer or a slidein camper by the Duramax I did and own it today.

16. Mar 8, 2010 at 5:34 PM
    goingcamping

goingcamping Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma
    Custom body work...boat trailer came of hitch, hit tailgate and Rammed stick thru lower valance while towing boat....hmmm, Maybe I should get a new boat?!?
    Look at the bright side...if you do get a Cummins Diesel, you can always go to their forum and bash on Tacoma's/Toyota's? Bet you never thought of that, did you?

I saved you some time and looked up the link for you! www.cumminsforum.com

I think the Big 3 all have some great attributes and derogatoriness...GM has a more car-like ride and the Dodge has a more spartan feel to it. The trannies in the Dodge have a reputation for being crap (they've earned it!) The Allison in the GMC/Chevy has a better rep, the Ford PS is also a great all around choice, but not without it's own issues.

For the record my uncle has a 2001 2500 Ram with Cummins, replaced the tranny at 70K. He still bought a new 2008 Cummins/Auto combo, knowing this issue, he's content.

My dad has a 2004 Ford F350 DRW EC FX-4 (6.0L) that tows a heavy ass 35' top o the line 5th wheel, which he towed with a '95 F250 SRW 4x4 regular cab (scary) He's had very few problems but I can say at 40K his 2004 6.0L was replaced by the factory when the crank broke!!! Warranties are a good thing!

Don't have a ton of experience with the Duramax GMC/Chevy, But I've heard nothing but good. The motors are very quiet and seem to be much smoother power!?!

Good Luck...I'd get the Dodge for towing!

17. Mar 8, 2010 at 5:41 PM
    MachoTaco10

MachoTaco10 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD Sport
    you want a cummins diesel to pull a snow mobile and an atv? your taco can do that no problem. a cummins is for real work, towing 10000 trailers ans such. and my dads 09 cummins does not come close to 28 mpg....who the hell told you that? 22 hwy

18. Mar 8, 2010 at 5:44 PM
    DeathBound

DeathBound Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Mississippi Gulf Coast
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma SR5 4X4
    Please buy a GM or Chrysler product. It will only help the American people, remember the government owns over 50% of each.

19. Mar 8, 2010 at 5:49 PM
    BSRACING777

BSRACING777 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brendan J.
    Austin, Texas
    Vehicle:
    06 tacoma 4X4 TRD QuadCab
    Go tundra with a sc???

20. Mar 8, 2010 at 5:49 PM
    blackwatertaco

blackwatertaco If you ain't stuck, You ain't tryin hard enough.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Alvin/Pasadena, Tx
    Vehicle:
    08 taco, 4x4 2.7 5spd.
    One fucked up diff. breather mod, 265/75/16 Destiny Dakota M/T Black gulf states rims BHLM Magnaflow 14" muffler with cut off tail pipe. 10" pioneer slim truck sub with JBL 600W amp. PROJECT BLACK OUT
    Dude, Don't count on a cummins getting that kind of mileage. My dad had a 2004 cummins totally stock stick shift...He was lucky to get 18mpg outa it. I recenty traded my Powerstroke in on my taco. Well I was getting about 13-15 MPG no matter what. + maitanence.

Products Discussed in

To Top