Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

How to Debadge/ Rebadge

Old 03-07-2010, 08:59 PM   #1
judd94 has a brilliant futurejudd94 has a brilliant futurejudd94 has a brilliant futurejudd94 has a brilliant futurejudd94 has a brilliant futurejudd94 has a brilliant futurejudd94 has a brilliant futurejudd94 has a brilliant futurejudd94 has a brilliant futurejudd94 has a brilliant futurejudd94 has a brilliant future
EMS:
judd94's Tacoma Gallery
How to Debadge/ Rebadge

This How To includes debadging the chrome badges, TRD stickers, and optional rebadging using Sockmonkeys awesome emblems. All Hail Sockmonkey!
OK so the first thing you want to do is get everything together. Depending on how far you go with this and what you want, dictates what you need.
Also- you will want give your self at least a few hours. You don't want to rush this or get anxious about finishing. Patience is very important all the way up to the end.
Another point- If you let your truck sit in the sun the adhesives can soften up and will make your life a little easier. Even in cool weather the sun helps.
SUPPLIES
-smaller sized flathead screwdriver or 20# fishing line or even dental floss
-a cleaner for the left over adhesive. some people have used Goo Gone, I used 3M Gen Purpose Adhesive Remover
-hair dryer or heat gun if you are removing TRD stickers
-papertowels or rags
-masking tape if you are rebadging in any way
-small spray bottle with 1-2 drops of soap and filled with water. this is for the wet application method
The first thing I did was put masking tape along the front edge and top edge of the old emblem. If you aren't reapplying any badges then skip this step. This is your guideline for rebadging. I noticed on TACOMA that the C and O are slightly taller and that the emblems arent' always applied completely straight. So you may have to readjust the tape to make it striaght.

If you are throwing away the emblems then it doesn't matter which method you use to remove them. If you plan to reuse them like after blacking them out then stay with the fishing line method so they don't get damaged.
Fishing Line Method- run the line or dental floss from one side to the other using a sawing like motion and cutting through the tape.
Pull Off Method-Take a smaller flathead screwdriver to pull up on the emblem. I found that each individual letter had to removed individually.

You will be left over with double-sided automotive adhesive. This can be "rolled" off with your fingers.

Now just take your adhesive remover and wipe off the left-over adhesive

If this is all you want than enjoy!!!
If you have some new emblem stickers to apply then clean the area with glass cleaner and make sure the paint is squeaky clean.
There are 2 methods for adding emblems.
Wet Method- this involves taking the spray solution and spraying the area then spraying the adhesive side of the emblem and applying it. Line up the emblem wherever you want. Then use a squeegy thingy and smotthen it out and remove all the air bubbles. It will stick and stay put after all the water is out from behind it.
Dry Method- this is the way I did it. I lined up the front top corner with the tape and slowly worked my way to the other end with the squeegy thingy in hand smoothing it out as I applied it.
remove the paper backing slowly and at a high angle. The angle will help keep the any letters from sticking to the backing.

Remove the surrounding tape and remove any left over residue surrounding the emblem and BAM your done.

**If you are blacking out you remblems and reapplying then use heavy duty automotive double-sided tape and reapply the emblems.
TRD Stickers
In order to removed these stickers you will need a heat gun or blow dryer. Or if your lucky and its hot as balls and sunny outside you can let the stickers soften up in the sun a few hours and you won't need a hairdryer or heat gun.
If you need to apply heat, a heat gun only needs to be used for maybe 10 sec. You can burn the paint. Not a good thing to do. I used a blow dryer on low, its a little longer but safer and more control of heat.
If you are reapplying new stickers then make sure to use guide tape.
Warm up the corner you are starting in and just peel it up with your finger nail. Someone was brave enough to use a razorblade layed flat against the paint without any problems. Not me.
Keep the sticker warm where you are peeling and keep pulling. The warmer the sticker the better. I also noticed if you got to slow the more adhesive left behind. The faster you go and it will probably tear.

Wipe away the adhesive BAM its done. If your putting on new stickers then clean it with glass cleaner for a squeaky clean.

If you apply new stickers than I would not recommend the hinge method. This did not work well only because you have to tear the paper backing in the middle. The small paper flakes where the paper is torn made a line of paper stuff that couldn't be removed and ruined the entire sticker. :ugh3: Here are pics of what not to do. You can barely see the white line through the middle of the sticker.

I removed the sticker after the pics because I was about to lose sunlight. I ended up applying the 2nd TRD sticker using the same method as the other emblems. Starting in one corner and working my way to the other end. Worked well for me.
Here are my final pics
BEFORE

AFTER

Old 03-07-2010, 09:02 PM   #2
the fresh prince
toyotacoinwa is a splendid one to beholdtoyotacoinwa is a splendid one to beholdtoyotacoinwa is a splendid one to beholdtoyotacoinwa is a splendid one to beholdtoyotacoinwa is a splendid one to beholdtoyotacoinwa is a splendid one to behold
Name: Aaron
toyotacoinwa's Tacoma Gallery
great thread!! i could have really used this a few months ago lol
Old 03-07-2010, 09:05 PM   #3
judd94 has a brilliant futurejudd94 has a brilliant futurejudd94 has a brilliant futurejudd94 has a brilliant futurejudd94 has a brilliant futurejudd94 has a brilliant futurejudd94 has a brilliant futurejudd94 has a brilliant futurejudd94 has a brilliant futurejudd94 has a brilliant futurejudd94 has a brilliant future
EMS:
judd94's Tacoma Gallery
thanks man
someone please sticky it under the "How Tos" for others to reference
Old 03-07-2010, 09:30 PM   #4
FLYNN LIVES!
7A7ER is one of the sharper tools in the shed7A7ER is one of the sharper tools in the shed7A7ER is one of the sharper tools in the shed7A7ER is one of the sharper tools in the shed7A7ER is one of the sharper tools in the shed7A7ER is one of the sharper tools in the shed7A7ER is one of the sharper tools in the shed7A7ER is one of the sharper tools in the shed7A7ER is one of the sharper tools in the shed7A7ER is one of the sharper tools in the shed7A7ER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Helicopter Armament Mechanic
7A7ER's Tacoma Gallery
very nice

Excellent work. Very step by step and great pics. I had no idea the emblems were just taped on! I just assumed they were bolted or screwed.

Nice write up bro, it should def be stickied!
Old 03-07-2010, 09:33 PM   #5
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Emblem stickers! Hell yes! I've been looking for an example of them! Thanks!!!
Old 03-08-2010, 04:38 PM   #6
sockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
sockmonkey's Tacoma Gallery
excellent write up!!!

i too, do not recommend the "hinge method".

it works best to remove all of the backing paper at once and use water to prevent from sticking prematurely (premature stickulation....eww)
it will allow you to reposition
Old 03-08-2010, 05:04 PM   #7
surfrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfrat is one of the sharper tools in the shed
surfrat's Tacoma Gallery
any reccomendations for painting the badges? i was thinking of using the truck bedliner spray on them..ALso what adhesive do you use to reapply the badges?
Old 03-08-2010, 05:05 PM   #8
If you ain't stuck, You ain't tryin hard enough.
blackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jay
blackwatertaco's Tacoma Gallery
Great looking man!!!
Old 03-08-2010, 05:10 PM   #9
Simon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Simon2150's Tacoma Gallery
your stickers look good!
Old 03-08-2010, 05:17 PM   #10
"The Emblem of a Free Man is a Gun"
Ccwahoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedCcwahoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedCcwahoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedCcwahoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedCcwahoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedCcwahoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedCcwahoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedCcwahoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedCcwahoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedCcwahoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedCcwahoo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Chris
Ccwahoo's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the write-up
Old 03-08-2010, 05:38 PM   #11
bmgreene is a splendid one to beholdbmgreene is a splendid one to beholdbmgreene is a splendid one to beholdbmgreene is a splendid one to beholdbmgreene is a splendid one to beholdbmgreene is a splendid one to beholdbmgreene is a splendid one to behold

bmgreene's Tacoma Gallery
How'd you get a screwdriver under the factory badging without scratching the hell out of the paint?
Old 03-09-2010, 12:03 AM   #12
EMS:
judd94's Tacoma Gallery
i used a small flat head and just carefully got behind the number enough to get a bite on it. there is some room behind it.
just take your time and don't get in a hurry. start early enough in the day that you aren't hurrying before sun goes down.
i love have stickers instead of raised lettering.
as far as adhesive most people use automotive double-sided tape from 3M i think.
Old 01-19-2012, 05:41 AM   #14
penguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
penguins_cc's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to penguins_cc
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfrat View Post
ALso what adhesive do you use to reapply the badges?

I've used 3M Emblem Adhesive with good results as well. Got mine off Amazon but I'm sure it's available lots of other places.
Old 01-19-2012, 05:43 AM   #15
NBHNC
Rusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rusty
Rusty 06 4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by judd94 View Post
This How To includes debadging the chrome badges, TRD stickers, and optional rebadging using Sockmonkeys awesome emblems. All Hail Sockmonkey!
OK so the first thing you want to do is get everything together. Depending on how far you go with this and what you want, dictates what you need.
Also- you will want give your self at least a few hours. You don't want to rush this or get anxious about finishing. Patience is very important all the way up to the end.
Another point- If you let your truck sit in the sun the adhesives can soften up and will make your life a little easier. Even in cool weather the sun helps.
SUPPLIES
-smaller sized flathead screwdriver or 20# fishing line or even dental floss
-a cleaner for the left over adhesive. some people have used Goo Gone, I used 3M Gen Purpose Adhesive Remover
-hair dryer or heat gun if you are removing TRD stickers
-papertowels or rags
-masking tape if you are rebadging in any way
-small spray bottle with 1-2 drops of soap and filled with water. this is for the wet application method
The first thing I did was put masking tape along the front edge and top edge of the old emblem. If you aren't reapplying any badges then skip this step. This is your guideline for rebadging. I noticed on TACOMA that the C and O are slightly taller and that the emblems arent' always applied completely straight. So you may have to readjust the tape to make it striaght.

If you are throwing away the emblems then it doesn't matter which method you use to remove them. If you plan to reuse them like after blacking them out then stay with the fishing line method so they don't get damaged.
Fishing Line Method- run the line or dental floss from one side to the other using a sawing like motion and cutting through the tape.
Pull Off Method-Take a smaller flathead screwdriver to pull up on the emblem. I found that each individual letter had to removed individually.

You will be left over with double-sided automotive adhesive. This can be "rolled" off with your fingers.

Now just take your adhesive remover and wipe off the left-over adhesive

If this is all you want than enjoy!!!
If you have some new emblem stickers to apply then clean the area with glass cleaner and make sure the paint is squeaky clean.
There are 2 methods for adding emblems.
Wet Method- this involves taking the spray solution and spraying the area then spraying the adhesive side of the emblem and applying it. Line up the emblem wherever you want. Then use a squeegy thingy and smotthen it out and remove all the air bubbles. It will stick and stay put after all the water is out from behind it.
Dry Method- this is the way I did it. I lined up the front top corner with the tape and slowly worked my way to the other end with the squeegy thingy in hand smoothing it out as I applied it.
remove the paper backing slowly and at a high angle. The angle will help keep the any letters from sticking to the backing.

Remove the surrounding tape and remove any left over residue surrounding the emblem and BAM your done.

**If you are blacking out you remblems and reapplying then use heavy duty automotive double-sided tape and reapply the emblems.
TRD Stickers
In order to removed these stickers you will need a heat gun or blow dryer. Or if your lucky and its hot as balls and sunny outside you can let the stickers soften up in the sun a few hours and you won't need a hairdryer or heat gun.
If you need to apply heat, a heat gun only needs to be used for maybe 10 sec. You can burn the paint. Not a good thing to do. I used a blow dryer on low, its a little longer but safer and more control of heat.
If you are reapplying new stickers then make sure to use guide tape.
Warm up the corner you are starting in and just peel it up with your finger nail. Someone was brave enough to use a razorblade layed flat against the paint without any problems. Not me.
Keep the sticker warm where you are peeling and keep pulling. The warmer the sticker the better. I also noticed if you got to slow the more adhesive left behind. The faster you go and it will probably tear.

Wipe away the adhesive BAM its done. If your putting on new stickers then clean it with glass cleaner for a squeaky clean.

If you apply new stickers than I would not recommend the hinge method. This did not work well only because you have to tear the paper backing in the middle. The small paper flakes where the paper is torn made a line of paper stuff that couldn't be removed and ruined the entire sticker. :ugh3: Here are pics of what not to do. You can barely see the white line through the middle of the sticker.

I removed the sticker after the pics because I was about to lose sunlight. I ended up applying the 2nd TRD sticker using the same method as the other emblems. Starting in one corner and working my way to the other end. Worked well for me.
Here are my final pics
BEFORE

AFTER

i love the black emblems on the sliver truck since that is what I want to do as well
Old 03-03-2012, 12:30 PM   #16
bpkrules has much to be proud ofbpkrules has much to be proud ofbpkrules has much to be proud ofbpkrules has much to be proud ofbpkrules has much to be proud ofbpkrules has much to be proud ofbpkrules has much to be proud ofbpkrules has much to be proud ofbpkrules has much to be proud ofbpkrules has much to be proud of
Name: Jon
bpkrules's Tacoma Gallery
sub
Old 05-22-2012, 07:50 AM   #17
Grue00 is on a distinguished road
Grue00's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the post. It is really helpful to see that someone did get the stickers with a hairdryer. It gives me the confidence to do it as well.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:03 AM   #18
Rez is one of the sharper tools in the shedRez is one of the sharper tools in the shedRez is one of the sharper tools in the shedRez is one of the sharper tools in the shedRez is one of the sharper tools in the shedRez is one of the sharper tools in the shedRez is one of the sharper tools in the shedRez is one of the sharper tools in the shedRez is one of the sharper tools in the shedRez is one of the sharper tools in the shedRez is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Rez's Tacoma Gallery
awesome thanks, I was always wonder how to debadge the hard emblem
Old 05-22-2012, 10:55 AM   #19
tommyg29 is on a distinguished road

tommyg29's Tacoma Gallery
I find it a lot easier to just use a flexible plastic applicator (like used for bondo) instead of a screwdriver (dangerous!) and dental floss, and pry the badges off. I removed ALL of mine in 5-10 minutes without heat, and they come off easily in one piece so they can be reused if you ever want to. I painted mine black. 3M emblem adhesive is great stuff also for reapplication, after you clean up the factory adhesive backing.
Took my TRD stickers off in about 5 minutes just peeling them with my fingernail. Heat isnt really needed, as long as the truck is fairly new.
Old 05-22-2012, 03:26 PM   #20
TacoLife08 is just really niceTacoLife08 is just really niceTacoLife08 is just really niceTacoLife08 is just really nice
Air Force:
TacoLife08's Tacoma Gallery
Im about to use the dental floss method, not going to re badge immediately though. My TRD rear stickers came off with a fingernail and a slow peel back and my truck is 4 years old, it was maybe 80-85 degrees outside.