1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tonneau cover versus no tonneau cover...

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by Mxpatriot, Mar 8, 2010.

1. Mar 8, 2010 at 11:29 AM
    Mxpatriot

Mxpatriot [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '06 4x4 AP LT and Locked
    Currently running a hard tonneau cover, and while it is very nice for secure gear storage and keeping gear out of the elements, I just can't stand the look of it for some reason...plus knowing that it's an extra 100 pounds drives me nuts...

looking for preferences on no cover vs. cover... a.k.a. either talk me into keeping it or ditching it.

currently looks like this

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Mar 8, 2010 at 11:35 AM
    SpaceMonkey

SpaceMonkey Well-Known Member

Member:
    Houston, Tx
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner
    Looks good. There is a soft cover option that you should also look into. I have the Lorado from agricover.

3. Mar 8, 2010 at 11:36 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    I hate hard tonneaus- So lose it imho.

4. Mar 8, 2010 at 12:22 PM
    Capita

Capita Well-Known Member

Member:
    Corner Brook, Newfoundland, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport Double Cab
    It's a hard call. I actually think it looks really good. Also like you said it can keep your gear in back good and safe.

I have a soft cover and really like it but the my gear in back isn't to safe. But the cover can be put on and taken off in a matter of seconds.

5. Mar 8, 2010 at 12:34 PM
    DeeKay21

DeeKay21 Lieutenant Dan.

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    I dont think your hard cover looks bad at all!:cool: I have a soft tonneau cover for my truck and I really like it! I also have a Softop Supertpp soft camper shell but I took that off because I dont use it much right now.:eek: You can see pics of both in my profile.;)

6. Mar 8, 2010 at 12:43 PM
    V-TRAIN

V-TRAIN Well-Known Member

Member:
    N. CACKALACKY
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD SPORT LONG BED
    DEMELLO ROCK CRUSHER SLIDERS, PIAA LIGHTS, TSB 4 LEAF PACK, CBI OFFROAD REAR BUMPER LINEXED, CBI OFFROAD FRONT BUMPER LINEXED, REAR 5100's, 1.5" TSB AAL, ICON EXTENDED TRAVEL COILOVERS @ 3", TOTAL CHAOS UCA's, HELLA MICRO DRIVING LIGHTS, IPOD INTERFACE, THULE ROOF RACK, UWS SLIM LINE BLACK TOOL BOX, 17" BBS RD TRUCK WHEELS, GOODYEAR WRANGLER DURATRAC IN 285/70/17
    i tell you what i use for long trips to keep stuff dry and
    it works great. i went to lowes and bought a deck box. it takes up the
    whole bed length wise, and about 1/2 the bed width wize. it will hold
    alot of crap and is water proof. when i don't use it, i keep it on the poarch
    to hold all our shoes that we use to work outdoors in. it was like $75, works
    perfect, and serves the purpose. i thought about getting some sort of cover or
    top, but there are so many times when i would not need it and it would get
    in the way. the deck box works perfect, and was fairly cheap.

7. Mar 8, 2010 at 12:51 PM
    TexasBlue

TexasBlue Dreamer

Member:
    First Name:
    Kellan
    Dallas, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner Sport, Speedway Blue
    Billet Grill, Roll-Top Cover, LED Interior Lights, HIDs, Foglight On Mod, Coin Tray Holster Mod
    I've got a Roll-N-Lock cover on mine that I really enjoy. It's fairly light, keeps everything dry and secure, and only takes up a small area when it's rolled up.

8. Mar 8, 2010 at 1:08 PM
    SURFTACO

SURFTACO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD SPORT
    3'' Lift: Bilstein 5100’s, SPC UCAs, All Pro 3” leaf packs, Bilstein 5125’s, Kenda 33X10.5R17 Tires Flat Black Stock Rims Seat Belt Chime off Fog Lights On anytime Jet pilot interior All weather floor Mats Tonneau Cover Cali Raised Ditch Lights Snorkel
    I think it looks good. I would like to eventually get a hard cover. I had to make do with a soft cover from Agricover. It works great and keeps things dry from the elements.

9. Mar 8, 2010 at 1:08 PM
    Agent475

Agent475 "Mark It Zero"

Member:
    Waldorf, MD
    Vehicle:
    2006 Red TRD Sport
    Hood Struts, 3" Tuff Country Lift, Shortie Antenna, WeatherTechs, Tinted front windows, custom TRD seat covers, custom pedals, debadged, custom USMC badging, quasi-functional hoodscoop (i.e. I cut it open), black front Yota emblem, Tailgate Theft-Prevention mod, Horn Relocation mod, Old Man Emu Carrier Bearing Drop, Brighter Backup Lights Mod, Smittybilt Reciever Hitch Tow Point, currently working on Satoshi Grill Mod

The Roll-N-Lock is pretty sweet... Any drilling?

10. Mar 8, 2010 at 1:43 PM
    10silvertaco

10silvertaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    Vehicle:
    no longer own Tacoma, now own 2011 Outback
    I have LEER Tonneau Cover 700 since August or September 2009. I love it and it not hard to remove hard cover with two people. Always mark before remove it. Happened to me last November that I forgot to mark it and kind of struggle to put it back on.
    Never had experience with soft cover, my friends used to have one but they are not happy. I don't know what brand they are talking about.
    My uncle have roll-n-lock. He had no problem for two or three years. No drilling at all.

11. Mar 8, 2010 at 2:19 PM
    sooner02r1

sooner02r1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I am planning on running on a near exact setup as yours. I'm gonna do an undercover (black textured fiberglass, not painted) with a basket mounted to the top with bike mounts on the basket, that way I can haul bikes, or haul dirty gear up top, and clean gear inside. I'd say keep it man.

12. Mar 8, 2010 at 2:35 PM
    Okkine

Okkine Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    1998 Tacoma, V6, Manual Transmission, 4x4
    Personally, I would never get one. Partly because I hate how they look, but more importantly, the main reason I bought a truck was for the convenience of being able to just toss something back there whenever I want, without having to worry about size, or pre-planing to make sure it will fit. If I wanted something with a "trunk", I would have bought a car or SUV.

13. Mar 8, 2010 at 3:41 PM
    DeathBound

DeathBound Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Mississippi Gulf Coast
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma SR5 4X4
    What do you do with your beer cans with the top on?

14. Mar 8, 2010 at 3:51 PM
    sleepdr

sleepdr Active Member

Member:
    ID
    Vehicle:
    09 DC TRD OR, Black Sand Pearl
    I love my Undercover hard cover - got it within a couple weeks of buying the truck. It's easy to take off, but provides water resistant and prying-eye resistant storage that also locks the tailgate. It's rare that I unexpectedly need to haul something that won't fit - 5 minutes by myself in the garage and the bed is wide open.

15. Mar 8, 2010 at 3:53 PM
    sooner02r1

sooner02r1 Well-Known Member

Member:

I hear ya on that, but that's why I like the undercover, can be unclipped and thrown in the garage in a few minutes.

16. Mar 8, 2010 at 3:55 PM
    Simon2150

Simon2150 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma DoubleCab V6 SR5
    i say leave it on, but that's coming from someone that has an undercover cover and doesn't haul much. if you find that you keep having to remove it for hauling, then just take it off.

17. Mar 8, 2010 at 4:44 PM
    Asgard

Asgard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner DC SR5 w/LSD
    X2

Products Discussed in

To Top