Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Tonneau cover versus no tonneau cover...

Old 03-08-2010, 11:29 AM   #1
distinguished bongo truck art critic
Mxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Military Police Platoon Leader
Name: Chase
Mxpatriot's Tacoma Gallery
Tonneau cover versus no tonneau cover...

Currently running a hard tonneau cover, and while it is very nice for secure gear storage and keeping gear out of the elements, I just can't stand the look of it for some reason...plus knowing that it's an extra 100 pounds drives me nuts...

looking for preferences on no cover vs. cover... a.k.a. either talk me into keeping it or ditching it.

currently looks like this

Old 03-08-2010, 11:35 AM   #2
SpaceMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpaceMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpaceMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpaceMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpaceMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpaceMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpaceMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpaceMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpaceMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpaceMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpaceMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed
SpaceMonkey's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good. There is a soft cover option that you should also look into. I have the Lorado from agricover.
Old 03-08-2010, 12:22 PM   #4
Capita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Capita's Tacoma Gallery
It's a hard call. I actually think it looks really good. Also like you said it can keep your gear in back good and safe.

I have a soft cover and really like it but the my gear in back isn't to safe. But the cover can be put on and taken off in a matter of seconds.
Old 03-08-2010, 12:34 PM   #5
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
I dont think your hard cover looks bad at all! I have a soft tonneau cover for my truck and I really like it! I also have a Softop Supertpp soft camper shell but I took that off because I dont use it much right now. You can see pics of both in my profile.
Old 03-08-2010, 12:43 PM   #6
V-TRAIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedV-TRAIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedV-TRAIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedV-TRAIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedV-TRAIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedV-TRAIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedV-TRAIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedV-TRAIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedV-TRAIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedV-TRAIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedV-TRAIN is one of the sharper tools in the shed

V-TRAIN's Tacoma Gallery
i tell you what i use for long trips to keep stuff dry and
it works great. i went to lowes and bought a deck box. it takes up the
whole bed length wise, and about 1/2 the bed width wize. it will hold
alot of crap and is water proof. when i don't use it, i keep it on the poarch
to hold all our shoes that we use to work outdoors in. it was like $75, works
perfect, and serves the purpose. i thought about getting some sort of cover or
top, but there are so many times when i would not need it and it would get
in the way. the deck box works perfect, and was fairly cheap.
Old 03-08-2010, 12:51 PM   #7
Dreamer
TexasBlue has much to be proud ofTexasBlue has much to be proud ofTexasBlue has much to be proud ofTexasBlue has much to be proud ofTexasBlue has much to be proud ofTexasBlue has much to be proud ofTexasBlue has much to be proud ofTexasBlue has much to be proud ofTexasBlue has much to be proud ofTexasBlue has much to be proud of

Name: Kellan
TexasBlue's Tacoma Gallery
I've got a Roll-N-Lock cover on mine that I really enjoy. It's fairly light, keeps everything dry and secure, and only takes up a small area when it's rolled up.
Old 03-08-2010, 01:08 PM   #8
SURFTACO will become famous soon enough

Name: Steve
SURFTACO's Tacoma Gallery
I think it looks good. I would like to eventually get a hard cover. I had to make do with a soft cover from Agricover. It works great and keeps things dry from the elements.
Old 03-08-2010, 01:08 PM   #9
"Mark It Zero"
Agent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Sergeant, 0261
Agent475's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBlue View Post
I've got a Roll-N-Lock cover on mine that I really enjoy. It's fairly light, keeps everything dry and secure, and only takes up a small area when it's rolled up.

The Roll-N-Lock is pretty sweet... Any drilling?
Old 03-08-2010, 01:43 PM   #10
10silvertaco is on a distinguished road

Name: Brent
10silvertaco's Tacoma Gallery
I have LEER Tonneau Cover 700 since August or September 2009. I love it and it not hard to remove hard cover with two people. Always mark before remove it. Happened to me last November that I forgot to mark it and kind of struggle to put it back on.
Never had experience with soft cover, my friends used to have one but they are not happy. I don't know what brand they are talking about.
My uncle have roll-n-lock. He had no problem for two or three years. No drilling at all.
Old 03-08-2010, 02:19 PM   #11
sooner02r1 is just really nicesooner02r1 is just really nicesooner02r1 is just really nicesooner02r1 is just really nicesooner02r1 is just really nice
sooner02r1's Tacoma Gallery
I am planning on running on a near exact setup as yours. I'm gonna do an undercover (black textured fiberglass, not painted) with a basket mounted to the top with bike mounts on the basket, that way I can haul bikes, or haul dirty gear up top, and clean gear inside. I'd say keep it man.
Old 03-08-2010, 02:35 PM   #12
Okkine is a splendid one to beholdOkkine is a splendid one to beholdOkkine is a splendid one to beholdOkkine is a splendid one to beholdOkkine is a splendid one to beholdOkkine is a splendid one to beholdOkkine is a splendid one to behold

Okkine's Tacoma Gallery
Personally, I would never get one. Partly because I hate how they look, but more importantly, the main reason I bought a truck was for the convenience of being able to just toss something back there whenever I want, without having to worry about size, or pre-planing to make sure it will fit. If I wanted something with a "trunk", I would have bought a car or SUV.
Old 03-08-2010, 03:41 PM   #13
DeathBound is a name known to allDeathBound is a name known to allDeathBound is a name known to allDeathBound is a name known to allDeathBound is a name known to allDeathBound is a name known to all

Army: Aviation
Name: Jay
DeathBound's Tacoma Gallery
What do you do with your beer cans with the top on?
Old 03-08-2010, 03:51 PM   #14
sleepdr is a glorious beacon of lightsleepdr is a glorious beacon of lightsleepdr is a glorious beacon of lightsleepdr is a glorious beacon of lightsleepdr is a glorious beacon of lightsleepdr is a glorious beacon of light
sleepdr's Tacoma Gallery
I love my Undercover hard cover - got it within a couple weeks of buying the truck. It's easy to take off, but provides water resistant and prying-eye resistant storage that also locks the tailgate. It's rare that I unexpectedly need to haul something that won't fit - 5 minutes by myself in the garage and the bed is wide open.
Old 03-08-2010, 03:53 PM   #15
sooner02r1 is just really nicesooner02r1 is just really nicesooner02r1 is just really nicesooner02r1 is just really nicesooner02r1 is just really nice
sooner02r1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okkine View Post
Personally, I would never get one. Partly because I hate how they look, but more importantly, the main reason I bought a truck was for the convenience of being able to just toss something back there whenever I want, without having to worry about size, or pre-planing to make sure it will fit. If I wanted something with a "trunk", I would have bought a car or SUV.

I hear ya on that, but that's why I like the undercover, can be unclipped and thrown in the garage in a few minutes.
Old 03-08-2010, 03:55 PM   #16
Simon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Simon2150's Tacoma Gallery
i say leave it on, but that's coming from someone that has an undercover cover and doesn't haul much. if you find that you keep having to remove it for hauling, then just take it off.
Old 03-08-2010, 04:44 PM   #17
Asgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Asgard's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
I hate hard tonneaus- So lose it imho.
X2