1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

4 whl dr

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jtaco, Apr 18, 2008.

1. Apr 18, 2008 at 5:05 PM
    jtaco

jtaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07,trdOR,DC,4x4,v6,saw2.5s,OMEdakars,LRarms
    saw2.5s,AEMshortair,skyjackershocks,LRa-arms,OME dakars,Alpine,JL audio 6x9 3 way in front doors
    everytime i am in 4wd, if i turn wheel to sharp it acts like tire is rubbing, but the front tires aren't touching anything. its like it gets hard to steer. is this normal?

2. Apr 18, 2008 at 5:10 PM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    i dont think they made the trucks to do a slalom in 4wd

3. Apr 18, 2008 at 5:23 PM
    BOLLINGERTACO

BOLLINGERTACO Member

Member:
    noho
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 4door long bed SR5
    2.5" front lift, debadged
    when you put it into 4wd, the front diff locks, meaning that both front tires are no longer independent of each other, like in an active differential. so if you make a right turn, at a slow speed, your right front tire has to travel much less of a distance then the front left tire, but now that the front diff is locked, they can not freely rotate to compensate for this difference in total distance of each wheel. so what you are hearing is basically the front left tire pushing the front right tire to basically peel out slowly through the diff. puts a lot of force on everything, not something you should do too often. that locked front diff works great at slightly high speeds, with not quite as tight of turns. does that make any sense?

4. Apr 18, 2008 at 5:26 PM
    The_Hodge

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    makes better sense than what i had to contribute...lol

5. Apr 18, 2008 at 5:34 PM
    klown

klown Tacoma World Ring Leader

Member:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD sport 4x4 double cab 6-speed
    Black, leather and heated seats, borla sport exhaust, side curtain airbags, daytime running lights, all weather mats, JBL premium 6 disk changer system, stainless step tubes, window tint, tow package
    It's 4WD not AWD, can somebody gimme some rep?

6. Apr 18, 2008 at 5:36 PM
    jtaco

Member:
    Vehicle:
    saw2.5s,AEMshortair,skyjackershocks,LRa-arms,OME dakars,Alpine,JL audio 6x9 3 way in front doors
    well yea that makes sense, its just i had a 4 runner that was all-time 4wd, and it never did this. i mean whats the point in having hi 4 and low4, if u cant drive it in h4 for the rain and what not without it giving the pull force?

7. Apr 18, 2008 at 5:47 PM
    The_Hodge

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    unless ur driving through a tornado inside a typhoon, u shouldnt need 4wd to drive in the rain. i'm only 2wd and i have no issues in the rain

8. Apr 18, 2008 at 6:20 PM
    RelentlessFab

RelentlessFab Eric @Relentless Fab Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 AC 6mt>03 SR5 >08 Sport and 17 6MT TRD OR
    Relentless Armored! Too many others to list.
    mostly right. it is a "drive train bind" as you refer to, but the front tires arent fully "locked" together unless you have some sort of a locker in the front diff. in this situation, its just like if you turn tight on a soft or slippery surface in 2wd where the inside tire will try to spin since its traveling less distance than the outside tires. Since its the front tires doing it now, this is where the load gets transfered through the steering wheel and makes it noticable. its just a simple binding, and all 4wd's do it when turned tight(when in 4wd of course). my old Chevy 1500 was about 3 times worse than my taco, so to me its hardly noticeable.

9. Apr 18, 2008 at 6:52 PM
    4x4Runner

4x4Runner Sam’s gone, man. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Drunken Sailor
    Not north, not south, not west, mostly east
    Vehicle:
    1WD
    nuttin fancy
    Uhhh what?

4wd is designed to get you out of sticky situations offroad or in snow. Not to be driven like an AWD car.

Selectable 4wd is considerable different that full time 4wd.

Why would you want to drive in 4wd in the rain?

10. Apr 18, 2008 at 7:08 PM
    nagelg

nagelg Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Northern Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport
    4WD should only be used where the road surface is sufficiently slippery to allow the front wheels to "slip" independently from each other.

I had a bud, not mechanical at all (he did the 50,000 mi oil change thing) who was burning diffs like no tomorrow. We got to talking about 4WD and he told me he locked it in in October and drove 'till April in 4WD....duh

11. Apr 18, 2008 at 8:12 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    Sure, why the hell not.

12. Apr 18, 2008 at 8:41 PM
    Khaos

Khaos Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD SPORT Prerunner
    3” spacer lift, 285/75/17 KO2, Spidertrax 1.25” spacers
    You don't use 4x4 on Pavement, EVER. Not even if the road is completely flooded. The only time you use 4x4 on a paved road is if its snowing and there is already a good bit of snow on the ground.

If you find yourself needing better traction in the rain, upgrade your tires and get a LSD for the rear.

13. Apr 18, 2008 at 8:46 PM
    zmtnbik

zmtnbik FMLYHM

Member:
    Vehicle:
    4x4 Trd Off-road
    Donahoe (Icon) C/O, TC UCA's, Dakar leafs, BilStein 5125's, 285/70/17 BFG MT KM2's, Raceline Renegade 17x9's, u-bolt flip kit, debadged, TRD CAI, TRD exhaust, URD MAF controller, 20% front window tint, 3M clear bra on bumper, cam locks in all storage compartments, fog light mod, Alpine X100 deck, Co
    THANK YOU for correcting him. Big difference between locked diff and 'drive train binding' which is what OP was describing.

14. Apr 18, 2008 at 8:48 PM
    jtaco

Member:
    Vehicle:
    well i didnt know there was a difference in all time 4 wh drive and plain 4wh drive. im just tryin to learn here. thanks for those who have helped. i just did not know this was normal is all. sorry if i aroused people's judgements and attitudes. i am not a mechanic.So there, the truth is out, i am exposed, the cat is out of the bag,make fun of me if it makes u feel any better about yourself.
    if 4 whl drive is not for pavement then why do they make 4 runners that are all time 4 wheel drive where there is no option whatsoever to turn it to 2 whl drive?
    and burning diffs? i guess im not hip on the lingo either, do u mean burning tires?

15. Apr 18, 2008 at 9:12 PM
    Rangerdirk

Rangerdirk Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma 4x4 6 in FabTech Lift
    6 inch FabTech Lift, 18 in Wheels, 325/65/R18,
    what is this retarded begging for a rep shit all the time?
    Am i missing something?

16. Apr 18, 2008 at 9:39 PM
    BOLLINGERTACO

BOLLINGERTACO Member

Member:
    noho
    Vehicle:
    heres a good situations for 4wd. i left it in 2wd as long as i could, it was actually fun having the back end look for grip most of the time, but my girlfriend was not as amused as i was so i threw it in 4h. then it felt like an M3 with track tires on a warm day. maybe not that much grip, but definelty felt safe and effortless. =) didnt even notice i was on ice and snow...even with shitty stock 245/75/16

[​IMG]

17. Apr 18, 2008 at 9:41 PM
    BOLLINGERTACO

BOLLINGERTACO Member

Member:
    noho
    Vehicle:
    rough crowd tonight...

18. Apr 18, 2008 at 9:42 PM
    jtaco

Member:
    Vehicle:
    i liked what u said first rangerdirk, u need to change it back.that shit was funny. humor helps. i was gonna say something after that but i held back.

19. Apr 18, 2008 at 9:57 PM
    maverick491

maverick491 Towing Guru

Member:
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 Access Cab, TRD off road, 6 cyl, 6 spd
    Activator III brake controller, Extang Fulltilt toneau, Factory bed mat, Extra D-rings in the bed, 2ndary air filter removed, Garmin Ique GPS, Eco-2, AFE Pro Dry-s filter, USASPEC PA12-toy, Pioneer 3-way speakers, SG II on Blendmount, Gulf States Alarm added.
    I am sorry if it seemed that any of the Tacoma World members were attacking you, I am sure that they didn't mean anything by it.

To answer your question more directly. A 4runner or any other vehicle that makes use of full time 4wd is for all intents and purposes an All wheel drive vehicle. I believe that AWD may be a trademarked term or something. However, what makes them all wheel drive or full time 4wd as opposed to part time selectable 4wd (like the Tacoma) is a center differential. IE: a device that allows the front wheels to "slip" in turns so as not to produce the drive train bind that you are describing (to really over simplify it) In a part-time 4wd system there is no center differential, but instead a transfer case. In a corner, the front wheels still receive power, and are un-able to slip themselves, so it is intended that you be in dirt, mud and or snow, and thereby being on a soft enough surface that the ground "slips" and allows the tires to keep moving at their desired rate of speed, and so when on dirt or snow you don't feel the drive train binding that you describe.

You other question. A diff is short for differential. A differential is esentially what transfers the power from the driveshaft, which rotates left to right, to the axles which rotate front to back, if that makes sense. In any case a part time 4wd vehicle has a front and a rear differential, which supply power to the front and rear axles. A part time 4wd vehicle (in 4wd) will experience drivetrain binding when turned on pavement and other hard non giving surfaces, that binding will ultimately translate back into wear on the gears in the front differential, and ultimately failure of the componants in the front differential. Hence what nagelg meant by burning diffs.

In your old full time 4wd 4-runner there was also a center diff which allowed internal slip in turns and so this was not a problem.

Hopefull that really over simplified explination helped.

20. Apr 19, 2008 at 3:37 PM
    klown

klown Tacoma World Ring Leader

Member:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD sport 4x4 double cab 6-speed
    Black, leather and heated seats, borla sport exhaust, side curtain airbags, daytime running lights, all weather mats, JBL premium 6 disk changer system, stainless step tubes, window tint, tow package
    I'll answer both of your questions if you gimme some rep.

Products Discussed in

To Top