1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Automatic to manual?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by silvertaco82, Mar 8, 2010.

1. Mar 8, 2010 at 6:57 PM
    silvertaco82

silvertaco82 [OP] No way, get real

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Bozeman, MT
    Vehicle:
    2010 AC TRD Sport 4x4
    TRD Seat Covers, Weathertech floor mats, Sockmonkey Decals, Pro Comp 6", 35" Nitto Trail Grapplers, 18x9 XD addicts, 20% tint, Kenwood Dnx 5120, 2 10" Kicker Shallow mount subs
    So i have been getting some vibes from my transmission which is the 5 speed automatic. I was wondering how big of a pain/price would it be to switch to a 6 speed manual? I would try and find it from a junk yard and get our buddy to put it in. Would it be too much trouble or is it a legitimate thought? my jeep and my subaru were both stick so i kinda miss the feeling of a manual

should i add a pole to this? let me know

2. Mar 8, 2010 at 7:08 PM
    ttylerr

ttylerr Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Fort McMurray, Alberta
    Vehicle:
    09 MGM 4Banger 4x4
    5% tint all around, Alpine IVA-W505, 16x8 Mojave Teflon Rims w/Hercules Terra Trac 265/75, Grillcraft Grill, Slimcubby HIDs, Front 5100's @ 0 w/Eibach 1.6" springs, URD Short Shifter, Extang Trifecta Tonneau Cover, Uniden Pro510XL and K30Mag Mount, Relentless Fab Bumper soon to come
    going from auto to manual would be pretty tough... you have to get the pedal mount, you have get the entire hydraulic assembly... im not sure if the clutch hydraulics work off of the break hydraulic system or if its independent, but if its tied into the break system, you'd have to get the proper brake master cylinder, probably reroute and extend or shorten a bunch of brake lines as well... i really dont think the cost would be worth it at all. i think youd be better off looking for a new auto tranny. besides, the 6speed manuals don't seem to get a whole lotta love in these trucks anyways.

also maybe if you didnt use your truck as a boat, you wouldnt be in this situation lol

3. Mar 8, 2010 at 7:09 PM
    4low2go

4low2go Well-Known Member

Member:
    Coatesville, PA
    Vehicle:
    10 RC 4x4 5sp MGM
    Curt hitch, OBX Shift
    More of a pain than fixing your automatic. Does anyone offer a manual valve body for that trans? A manually shifted auto would be interesting.

4. Mar 8, 2010 at 7:11 PM
    ktmrider

ktmrider Senior Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB 4x4 Sport S/C
    Junk
    Tiptronic i would be all over that :drool:

5. Mar 11, 2010 at 2:58 PM
    silvertaco82

silvertaco82 [OP] No way, get real

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Bozeman, MT
    Vehicle:
    2010 AC TRD Sport 4x4
    TRD Seat Covers, Weathertech floor mats, Sockmonkey Decals, Pro Comp 6", 35" Nitto Trail Grapplers, 18x9 XD addicts, 20% tint, Kenwood Dnx 5120, 2 10" Kicker Shallow mount subs
    the vibes werent the tranny they were actually from a few pullys that were worn out. but still id love to have manual i know it would be a pain in the ass though. and yeah the whole boat thing was a bad idea...shouldve never sold the jeep and kept that to sink lol

6. Mar 11, 2010 at 6:20 PM
    SCDudeBro

SCDudeBro Member

Member:
    CA
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off-Road
    Removed emblems, painted stock wheels, tint, flowmaster
    I have a manual trans. Wanna trade parts? I'm interested in going to an auto but don't really feel like selling my truck and buying a new one

Products Discussed in

To Top