Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Automatic to manual?

Old 03-08-2010, 06:57 PM   #1
No way, get real
silvertaco82 has much to be proud ofsilvertaco82 has much to be proud ofsilvertaco82 has much to be proud ofsilvertaco82 has much to be proud ofsilvertaco82 has much to be proud ofsilvertaco82 has much to be proud ofsilvertaco82 has much to be proud ofsilvertaco82 has much to be proud of

Name: Mike
silvertaco82's Tacoma Gallery
Automatic to manual?

So i have been getting some vibes from my transmission which is the 5 speed automatic. I was wondering how big of a pain/price would it be to switch to a 6 speed manual? I would try and find it from a junk yard and get our buddy to put it in. Would it be too much trouble or is it a legitimate thought? my jeep and my subaru were both stick so i kinda miss the feeling of a manual

should i add a pole to this? let me know
Old 03-08-2010, 07:08 PM   #2
ttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
ttylerr's Tacoma Gallery
going from auto to manual would be pretty tough... you have to get the pedal mount, you have get the entire hydraulic assembly... im not sure if the clutch hydraulics work off of the break hydraulic system or if its independent, but if its tied into the break system, you'd have to get the proper brake master cylinder, probably reroute and extend or shorten a bunch of brake lines as well... i really dont think the cost would be worth it at all. i think youd be better off looking for a new auto tranny. besides, the 6speed manuals don't seem to get a whole lotta love in these trucks anyways.

also maybe if you didnt use your truck as a boat, you wouldnt be in this situation lol
Old 03-08-2010, 07:09 PM   #3
4low2go has a brilliant future4low2go has a brilliant future4low2go has a brilliant future4low2go has a brilliant future4low2go has a brilliant future4low2go has a brilliant future4low2go has a brilliant future4low2go has a brilliant future4low2go has a brilliant future4low2go has a brilliant future4low2go has a brilliant future

4low2go's Tacoma Gallery
More of a pain than fixing your automatic. Does anyone offer a manual valve body for that trans? A manually shifted auto would be interesting.
Old 03-08-2010, 07:11 PM   #4
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4low2go View Post
More of a pain than fixing your automatic. Does anyone offer a manual valve body for that trans? A manually shifted auto would be interesting.
Tiptronic i would be all over that
Old 03-11-2010, 02:58 PM   #5
No way, get real
silvertaco82 has much to be proud ofsilvertaco82 has much to be proud ofsilvertaco82 has much to be proud ofsilvertaco82 has much to be proud ofsilvertaco82 has much to be proud ofsilvertaco82 has much to be proud ofsilvertaco82 has much to be proud ofsilvertaco82 has much to be proud of

Name: Mike
silvertaco82's Tacoma Gallery
the vibes werent the tranny they were actually from a few pullys that were worn out. but still id love to have manual i know it would be a pain in the ass though. and yeah the whole boat thing was a bad idea...shouldve never sold the jeep and kept that to sink lol
Old 03-11-2010, 06:20 PM   #6
SCDudeBro is on a distinguished road
SCDudeBro's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvertaco82 View Post
the vibes werent the tranny they were actually from a few pullys that were worn out. but still id love to have manual i know it would be a pain in the ass though. and yeah the whole boat thing was a bad idea...shouldve never sold the jeep and kept that to sink lol
I have a manual trans. Wanna trade parts? I'm interested in going to an auto but don't really feel like selling my truck and buying a new one