1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

manual trans. drivers... push in clutch all the way?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by superminsoo, Mar 9, 2010.

1. Mar 9, 2010 at 12:08 AM
    superminsoo

superminsoo [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    For you guys /gals who drive manual (4 wheels, tacoma or any other car) do you push the clutch all the way in when putting the gears in? How about when you take the gear out? I always push the clutch in all the way to engage, is that necessary ? but only half way to disengage and have done this for a couple other cars to.

Thanks

2. Mar 9, 2010 at 12:20 AM
    blackwatertaco

blackwatertaco If you ain't stuck, You ain't tryin hard enough.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Alvin/Pasadena, Tx
    Vehicle:
    08 taco, 4x4 2.7 5spd.
    One fucked up diff. breather mod, 265/75/16 Destiny Dakota M/T Black gulf states rims BHLM Magnaflow 14" muffler with cut off tail pipe. 10" pioneer slim truck sub with JBL 600W amp. PROJECT BLACK OUT
    Sometimes I go all the way...ANd sometimes I just do it until I can shift gears. I really don't pay attention to it.

3. Mar 9, 2010 at 12:21 AM
    Untamed_SS

Untamed_SS Stayed Up Too Late

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Haughton, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    08 Speedway Blue Access Cab
    Alpine iDA-X200 Deck, Rockford P3, Infinity 1600 A Amp, Black Badges, "KnightRider Mod", Back-up lights. Painted Engine Cover. TRD QuickShifter & Shift Knob. MAF Calibrator. Doug Thorley LT Headers. Custom Y-Pipe. Flowmaster 50 series. Satoshi Grill
    Usually not all the way to the floor. But enough to get the job done.

4. Mar 9, 2010 at 12:29 AM
    superminsoo

Member:
    Will not pushing the clutch in all the way in hurt the truck in any way? Getting pretty close to 50,000 miles but id rather drive the next couple hundred thousand miles not doing something i dont have to.

5. Mar 9, 2010 at 12:30 AM
    gurjohn

gurjohn Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Miller
    Deep South Texas
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner SR5 2.7/man
    shop-built headache rack / tool box / trimmed mud-flaps / bull-bar / 2.5-inch front lift / 1.5-inch rear lift / n-fab nerf-bars /
    typically...........every manual trans vehicle is a little different BUT.........as a rule, you are correct, you must push the clutch all the way in to put into gear, but not as much to remove it, really, the slower you go and the greater the gear change (skipping gears) the more you have to use the pedal.
    HOWEVER, once you are rolling, you can go through all the gears up or down without using the pedal at all. you do this by using the engine's rpm's to get all the gears to sync-up, then it can slide right into or out of gear.
    Try it.........once your rolling good in first gear, pull back gently on the stick, you'll see that it won't easily come out of gear. now, let of the gas while still pulling gently back on the stick..........you'll see that it comes out easily. You'll see it is definitely easier to get it out of gear than into gear.
    The reason it works is that during acceleration the engine is "pushing" against the back wheels through the tranny and all the gears, so they are all in a bind. when you decelerate, the wheels are then pushing against the engine and keeping all the gears in a bind. BUT, when you find that little sweet spot where you are getting the engine to turn at about the same speed as the wheels are turning, then the gears are not in a bind and can be pulled into or out of gear. When you shift up, you must allow the engine to slow down, when you shift down, you must speed the engine up to get all the gears to syn-up.
    Thanks GURJohn

6. Mar 9, 2010 at 12:33 AM
    gurjohn

gurjohn Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Miller
    Deep South Texas
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner SR5 2.7/man
    shop-built headache rack / tool box / trimmed mud-flaps / bull-bar / 2.5-inch front lift / 1.5-inch rear lift / n-fab nerf-bars /
    sorry..........but one more thing to remember........ the most important thing is don't force the tranny into gear. A good rule of thumb is that if you have to pull real hard on the stick to get it into gear or if you hear the gears grind, then you're being a little too rough with it.
    thanks

7. Mar 9, 2010 at 1:08 AM
    superminsoo

Member:
    thanks thanks

8. Mar 9, 2010 at 1:19 AM
    vicstacoma

vicstacoma Guest

this is mostly done on big rigs/tractor trailers... not really done on cars that much although it can be done if you pay attention to rpm's. I work for fedex and drive big rigs and never use the clutch only when taking off or coming to a stop. But I have never found a reason to do this on a car which only has 5 or 6 gears. I do it on semis due to the fact that some of them have 10 13 18 or more gears so if you use your clutch all the time your foot really begins to hurt from all that clutch work lol.

9. Mar 9, 2010 at 1:43 AM
    DdayIsNear

DdayIsNear Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Crazy
    NW Jersey
    Vehicle:
    TRD Offroad
    All pro sliders
    i am 30, have never owned an auto, and prob have driven over 300,000 miles. i cant say that i am aware at this point as to how i press the clutch, but im sure its damn near all the way. once you learn the vehicle, you can shift without the clutch as stated above, but it must be 1 swift movement out of and into gear. when you do this, its a nice thing...feels good :)

the only thing you should worry about is if you are shifting and getttinga grinding noise, you are doing it wrong. also, if you are sitting at a light, holding the clutch down doens;t hurt either, you just never wanna have the clutch in the middle, all the way up, or all the way down is a good rule to follow

10. Mar 9, 2010 at 1:48 AM
    tooxslick

tooxslick Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    South San Francisco, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 BSP Access Cab
    LED Interior, MagLite Mount, BHLM, Limo Tint, Fog Lights, HIDs, PA15-TOY, DTRL, ReadyLIFT SST 2.75", Maplight Mod, Secondary Air Filter Removal, Black Interior, Debadged, AFE Stage II Intake, "Deckplate Mod", Satoshi grill.
    I only press it all the way down to start the engine. Shifting into gear/ putting into neutral, I press about 50% to 75% of the way towards the floor.

11. Mar 9, 2010 at 5:11 AM
    Demoncleaner

Demoncleaner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    05 Dcab 6spd 4x4 TRD Sport w/Tow
    TRD exhaust Homemade bed mat & bed extender, front Drings, Short clutch throw, Summer: Stock 17's Winter: Blizzaks on 16' black steelies
    X2. Generally to the floor to start and to get in 4lo.

12. Mar 9, 2010 at 5:49 AM
    Switchback

Switchback Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    22 Mag Grey SR 4wd SX
    i can't see a reason for depressing the clutch fully just for switching between the gears. seems to me like depressing it -just enough- to get into gear is the point...

13. Mar 9, 2010 at 6:27 AM
    Bryan07sport

Bryan07sport Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Smyrna, Delaware
    Vehicle:
    '22 TRD off-road.
    Bilstein 6112/5100. Icon progressive AAL. Overland Torque Tune. Toyota roof rack. Toyota bed extender. Gator trifold tonneau. Bora .75" wheel spacers. 265/75r16 tires.
    If you're pushing in the clutch far enough so everythings going in smoothly and easily with no grinding etc... than its far enough. As far as no clutch shifting, yeah you can, but why would you want to on the tacomas? you know how when you let off the clutch these things hold revs for a minute? well you have to wait until it decides to drop rpms before you can shift into the next gear. no thanks i'll just push the clutch.

14. Mar 9, 2010 at 6:36 AM
    Mark C.

Mark C. If you want it bad, you usually get it bad!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM SR5 4WD AC
    LED Dome, Reed Switched LEDs in Glove Box and Center Console, Bumper Fogs, Tailgate anti-theft, LEDs over Cig lighter, Back-up camera anytime, Outside Temp add-on, Hidden GPS power, Sockmonkey 3rd Brakelight decal, 4X4 switch illumination, reed switch controlled engine compartment Flood LEDs, Elite Hitch Cover, Plasti-dipped cupholders and door switch control panels, Elite Hitch Cover.
    "Power Shifting" , as we used to call it, is easy to do, but I have seen many people screw up the synchronous alignment of gears. Just be careful. If I had been to lazy to use the clutch on a manual transmission, I would have bought an automatic.

Just my 2 cents

15. Mar 9, 2010 at 4:34 PM
    stanford86

stanford86 Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner SR5 2009
    Starting with the Tacoma facing an unobstructed forward path:

Push the clutch in completely and start the vehicle, shift into first gear.
    Without using and other pedal, slowly release the clutch until the Tacoma starts to move forward on its own-
    The angle of the clutch when the truck moves is the optimal shifting point.

At least thats my understanding and it works for me.

Products Discussed in

To Top