1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Another blown seal

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by crittergitter, Mar 9, 2010.

1. Mar 9, 2010 at 3:45 PM
    crittergitter

crittergitter [OP] Proud to be Canadian Navy

Member:
    First Name:
    Stu
    Shearwater, NS
    Vehicle:
    '06 Tacoma 4WD Double Cab
    Bugger, skid plate, colour coded cap, bed mat, AFE Air Filter, Rear diff breather mod, Chirp on door lock;unlock, ABS mod, Weathertechs front and rear, 60" Hi-lift jack, LED light mod in rear bed, 12V accessory in bed, n more stuff.
    Well another 400 mile trip one way that I really need my truck to work flawlessly and it doesn't, again. One front axle seal and a pinion seal in December and the differential burned up. This time it was a rear seal and an O-ring. Caught this one in time and nothing was ruined. Covered by warranty and the dealership looked right after me. It happened on Friday and couldn't get into the dealership until they opened again on Monday so I kept it topped up with gear oil and it was fine. Only 64k km on it. Three seals in three months.
    Anybody else having seal problems? :confused:

2. Mar 9, 2010 at 4:07 PM
    BassPilot

BassPilot Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bennett
    Bay Area, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC 4X4 TRD Offroad manual
    TRD Cold Air Intake, TRD Cat Back, 5100's, TSB
    I hope he took you to dinner first.

3. Mar 9, 2010 at 4:35 PM
    Fortech

Fortech Well-Known Member

Member:
    CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2005 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR
    Bilstein 5100's, rear TSB, Firestone bags
    Rear seal as in the read end diff?

Be sure to keep your rear diff vent free of debris to ensure it is properly venting. This prevents pressure buildup in the diff which most times will blow your seal. There is a small metal cap covering your vent which should spin freely. Give it a quick spin with your fingers every couple of weeks if you drive allot of dirt/salt covered roads.

4. Mar 10, 2010 at 1:52 AM
    crittergitter

crittergitter [OP] Proud to be Canadian Navy

Member:
    First Name:
    Stu
    Shearwater, NS
    Vehicle:
    '06 Tacoma 4WD Double Cab
    Bugger, skid plate, colour coded cap, bed mat, AFE Air Filter, Rear diff breather mod, Chirp on door lock;unlock, ABS mod, Weathertechs front and rear, 60" Hi-lift jack, LED light mod in rear bed, 12V accessory in bed, n more stuff.
    I've done the breather tube mod and it is up by the gas tank cover now. I just did it a couple of weeks ago, and worked fine then. I haven't even had time yet to get the truck off of the highway. I'd like to get the thing a little bit dirty one of these days, but the reliability issue is something that bothers me. Maybe this one will remain a mall crawler and I'll get a 1st gen to play with!!!!!!!

5. Mar 10, 2010 at 2:55 AM
    NWtacoma

NWtacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kent,WA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Sport 4x4
    265/70/17 bfg AT
    lol

6. Mar 10, 2010 at 8:35 AM
    Manwithoutaplan

Manwithoutaplan the full Monty

Member:
    ID
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Speedway Blue Trd 4x4
    -Nitro 4.56 gears - Arb Front and Rear lockers. -Rear Swing out bumper Curiosity of ( Dept .94) https://www.facebook.com/Dept94 -Tinted, -ProComp 6 inch lift with Icon Coil overs and Bilstein's 7100Resi -315/70/17 - 17x8 in Pro Comp Matte black rims 4.5 bs -East Coast Gear Supply Sliders -ALL Pro EXP LEaf pack -Camburg UCA's -CAB mount CHOP
    I had my front cv joint seal go out on my it was a 20 doller seal that took all week to replace. No one had it at there dealership. The guy at the stealership told me that this will keep on happening with a 6 inch lift. He told me that i need to get longer cv extension. He also said that the tires were pulling the cvs out so the seal would leak oil. They fixed it for right now but i am stilll not sure how long that is going to last. THe guys also at the repair shop that fixed the seal.. told me i have bad cv axle. So i really dont know what to believe.

7. Mar 10, 2010 at 8:40 AM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    Speaking of blown seals...
    If you were an Eskimo and you blew a seal, would you tell anyone?

8. Mar 10, 2010 at 9:02 AM
    HondaGM

HondaGM CallSign Monke

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    South-Pole, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2023 access cab V6
    [​IMG] let me think about that

9. Mar 10, 2010 at 9:06 AM
    Manwithoutaplan

Member:
    ID
    Vehicle:
    -Nitro 4.56 gears - Arb Front and Rear lockers. -Rear Swing out bumper Curiosity of ( Dept .94) https://www.facebook.com/Dept94 -Tinted, -ProComp 6 inch lift with Icon Coil overs and Bilstein's 7100Resi -315/70/17 - 17x8 in Pro Comp Matte black rims 4.5 bs -East Coast Gear Supply Sliders -ALL Pro EXP LEaf pack -Camburg UCA's -CAB mount CHOP
  10. Mar 10, 2010 at 3:29 PM
    Manwithoutaplan

Member:
    ID
    Vehicle:
    Where exaclty is the front Diff breather???

11. Mar 10, 2010 at 3:36 PM
    OffroadToy

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    In the engine bay on the drivers side...should be 2 of them. One for the front diff and one for the tranny I believe (right next to each other.) Look directly in back of the fuse box behind where the battery sits.

12. Mar 10, 2010 at 3:40 PM
    Manwithoutaplan

Member:
    ID
    Vehicle:
    How high is the Breather tube rough appromxitation? The reason why i ask is i went through about 3 foot of muchy mud/water. Also with doing that I fried my Alternator but that is different story.

13. Mar 10, 2010 at 3:49 PM
    OffroadToy

Member:
    Vehicle:
    The rear diff breather is 18" without doing the extention mod. The front breathers sit about 3' up.

14. Mar 10, 2010 at 3:58 PM
    Manwithoutaplan

Member:
    ID
    Vehicle:
    ok ... thanks

Have you done the breather Mod? I am guessing it is good idea to do the breather mod if you are going to go through muddy water all the time.

15. Mar 10, 2010 at 4:12 PM
    OffroadToy

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I did do that mod. Since I have a Snug Top canopy, I mounted the breather in one of the cubby holes in the bed.
    Since your going through water that deep, you might consider doing the mod where you replace your side mirrors with rod holders. It might be nice to get a little fishing in while your out on the water.

16. Mar 10, 2010 at 4:15 PM
    Manwithoutaplan

Member:
    ID
    Vehicle:

Nice :rofl::wink:

17. Mar 10, 2010 at 5:46 PM
    OffroadToy

Member:
    Vehicle:
    If you haven't already you probably should change out your rear differential fluid!:)

18. Jun 23, 2010 at 11:38 AM
    jpetersen

jpetersen New Member

Member:
    mass
    Vehicle:
    toyota tacoma 4wd 2.7l 5-speed manual
    Where is this small metal cap located i blew an axle seal a month ago and replaced it and now my pinion seal is gone too i'm sure thats it after reading it but where is it? also when replacing the pinion seal you remove the four bolts connecting the u jont and axle and pop that out then how do you remove the nut on the inside or do you even need to remove that to get to the pinion seal?

Products Discussed in

To Top