1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Get the warranty!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by SurfInferno, Mar 9, 2010.

1. Mar 10, 2010 at 4:36 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    That is because they were built in Japan back then. My 1982 that I got rid of when getting the 05 last year had none of the silly petty ass problems like now. I never did anything sealwise for at least 250,000 miles on that beast and it got put through hell...and liked it. I never had a warranty then either and it was no problem to work on even if I did break something. It didn't break stuff by itself, it needed a LOT of help breaking anything. I don't thrash this new truck anywhere remotely near the way the 82 was. I'm just trying to baby it to keep it from being useless at 100k. That sucks when we're talking about a Toyota.

2. Mar 10, 2010 at 8:06 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Toyota quality as a 'whole' has dropped. But I think there are far more problems with the 05's (1st year 2nd gen) than the rest so far. Time will tell...but I keep thinking about the motor mount failures, LSD failures...and I knew a guy who his entire paint job was soooooooooo bad, his whole truck had to be repainted under warrantee (it was an 05 double cab). Amoung other things...

My warrantee runs out this month...and probably out already. I chose not to get an extended one. Time will tell if I'll be shooting myself for it. :rolleyes:

3. Mar 13, 2010 at 5:59 AM
    Fortech

Fortech Well-Known Member

Member:
    CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2005 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR
    Bilstein 5100's, rear TSB, Firestone bags
    I paid $1800 for my extended warranty when I bought the truck and to date have had over $3500 worth of repairs performed since the factory warranty expired. The truck is also going back to the dealer first thing Monday morning for a new front wheel bearing on the left side and to have the rear drive shaft inspected since there is excessive play in the slip yoke.

4. Mar 13, 2010 at 8:10 AM
    topcathr

topcathr Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 limited
    There are exceptions to every rule, consumer reports advises not to purchase an extended warranty. I have owned 4 tacomas and 1 tundra and never had a problem. I hate to say it but if it were an american car i would buy the extra protection....

5. Mar 13, 2010 at 8:20 AM
    Plain Jane Taco

Plain Jane Taco ALL human beings deserve equal treatment

Member:
    USA
    My Taco has no extended warranty. Our '04 Sienna, however, has the 7/75K Platinum protection. 6 Years into it we've used it exactly 0 times. I not complaining about the van being reliable. But had I known what I know how...no way I would have forked over the cash for it. It probably influenced my decision not to purchase it for the Taco.

To the OP...glad it help you out though.

6. Mar 13, 2010 at 2:41 PM
    DdayIsNear

DdayIsNear Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Crazy
    NW Jersey
    Vehicle:
    TRD Offroad
    All pro sliders

thats why you buy ins. just in case... i haven't been sick in years, but i wont cancel my health ins.

7. May 10, 2010 at 3:50 PM
    markram

markram Well-Known Member

Member:
    washington, state of
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD OR DCSB 4X4 Cement
    just bought the Platinum 7yr/100k/0 deductible Extended Warranty for $889 from Jerry Johnson @ Midwest Toyota (1-800-530-5789). one thing i found kinda interesting that he told me is that when you bring your truck in, the PEW pays for a car rental and if you're more than 150 miles away from home it will pay for your hotel (think he said up to 2 weeks?! find out for sure when the paper work gets here). i bought it mainly for peace of mind after all the news about Toyota's quality lately.

8. May 10, 2010 at 4:17 PM
    DdayIsNear

DdayIsNear Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Crazy
    NW Jersey
    Vehicle:
    TRD Offroad
    All pro sliders
    that is all true, esp the rental and hotel stay

9. May 10, 2010 at 4:55 PM
    woodygg

woodygg Well-Known Member

Member:
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    04 DC Tacoma 4x4
    you'll never catch me buying the warranty... i know the odds and the profit margin. i'll take my chances. that's the reason i bought a toyota in the first place.

just like electronics...

10. May 10, 2010 at 4:59 PM
    woodygg

woodygg Well-Known Member

Member:
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    04 DC Tacoma 4x4
    wow... that suxs and by far is the exception.. thankfully. you got lucky. i have an 06 corolla with 50K miles on it... not one problem (knock on wood). my mechanic specializes in toyotas and told me the corollas are almost maintence proof... there's always a lemon though. just fewer for toyota...

11. May 10, 2010 at 5:22 PM
    buck

buck Don't sweat the petty - pet the sweaty

Member:
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    15 DC V6 4x4 TRD Magnetic Gray
    High-flow coconut smiley-face air freshener.
    1st year of production for a model is always the worst year to get. Just look at the motor mount issue. 05's and some 06's have weak frame mounting points that were addressed in later model years.

There's not enough real-life long-term testing for model releases. Manufacturers use warranty clams/returns to help improve long-term issues with products if there's enough of them. If you have little quirks about your truck, and it's under warranty, take it back and have them change it to your liking. It'll make things better for the newer model years.

Products Discussed in

To Top