1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

guages crazy after new tires??

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Robocop, Mar 9, 2010.

1. Mar 9, 2010 at 6:43 PM
    Robocop

Robocop [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    09 4x4 Access Cab Gray Manual
    I have a 2009 4X4 Access cab with 16k miles. I just purchased General Grabbers in 265-70-16 to replace the factory tires that were 245-75-16.

Today I noticed when I was at hwy speeds (80mph) and tried to accelerate my traction control light flashed and the truck limited the power thinking I was losing traction.

It may be a sensor or something however it seems weird the traction control system is acting up one day after buying new tires. The Grabbers are a little wider however the outside diameter is basically the same as the 245-75s.

Has anyone else had this issue after changing tires and if so can the traction control system be somehow calibrated. The tires are great and I like the "look" of the Grabbers however the truck just feels weird now. It kind of sways when driving and the noise is a little louder at speed due to the A/T tread pattern. I guess I can live with it however the truck now acts like it wants to limit my speed with the motor stalling due to the built in safety controls activating.

Thanks for any advice as the dealer was not much help....they did schedule an appointment to look at it however that is two weeks from now.

2. Mar 9, 2010 at 6:45 PM
    NWtacoma

NWtacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kent,WA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Sport 4x4
    265/70/17 bfg AT
    you were at 80mph and were still accelerating? slow down before you cause an accident bro.

3. Mar 9, 2010 at 6:54 PM
    EricT

EricT Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    '09 4x4 shortbed TRD Sport
    No see, we can all speed like madmen now because OH GOD UNCONTROLLED ACCELERATION OFFICER see.

4. Mar 9, 2010 at 6:54 PM
    Robocop

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    Yes it sounds crazy I know however it also acted weird going from 5th to 6th gear at about 60 mph. If I accelerate very slowly it seems fine however under any real load the traction light comes on and the motor governs down.

The limit here is 70 on this one roadway and 80 is common....however maybe I should leave this problem alone as it will keep me slower and safer...(grin)

5. Mar 9, 2010 at 7:02 PM
    mattcombs

mattcombs Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    matt
    hazard kentucky
    Vehicle:
    SR5 tacoma 4wd
    3in revtec lisf westin step bars and westin bull bar and some other odds and ends
    give it hell while its new and c what sheel do

6. Mar 9, 2010 at 7:07 PM
    BeardedWeirdo

BeardedWeirdo Junior Mint

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2010 AC SR5 PreRunner
    Barcelona Red Pop & Lock, Tint, New Shoes, Removed Rear Headrests, Grille(in the works)
    It's OK, he's a cop.

7. Mar 9, 2010 at 7:32 PM
    tex

tex Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    2006 V8 Sport 4Runner
    I think it is just a coincedence your truck is doing this after new tires. I would take it to the dealer since this does not sound normal.

8. Mar 9, 2010 at 9:52 PM
    Robocop

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    It may be my imagination however on the way home tonight I had no problems at all....truck drove normal at all speeds. Is it possible the computer had to have a little time to calibrate for the new tires? Before buying my tires I searched many types and decided on the 265-70-16 as it was so close to the same diameter as factory just a little wider.

I do plan to keep my appointment at the dealer just to be sure however for now it seems to have corrected itself.

9. Mar 9, 2010 at 9:56 PM
    DdayIsNear

DdayIsNear Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Crazy
    NW Jersey
    Vehicle:
    TRD Offroad
    All pro sliders

really, , really, thats all i can say, and i dont think we need to be parenting here. he is big boy and i am sure no ones words will chaneg his beahvior, he may have been in washington state where there is no speed limit on certain raods at vcertain times of day, or somewhere else that has 75mph speed limit and was trying to overtake someone....ask questions first, then maybe, maybe you can parent :)

10. Mar 9, 2010 at 10:17 PM
    borderbrat

borderbrat Watching Chris4x4 o.O

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Victoria BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB, STOCK..But not for long
    (old truck 2008 AC ....PIAA fogs, led "puddle" lights, bed lights, in cab 115V, Toyota Devil emblem, Randy Ellis light bar with LED light bar, OME 885 and Dakar leaf springs OME shock all round, 2.5 Gal OBA system with air horns, iPod adapter, scangauge on blend mount, magnaflow catback, bike fork mounts, tinted 2009 tails.)
    perhaps when installing the tires a wheel speed sensor got knocked.

11. Mar 9, 2010 at 11:35 PM
    Robocop

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    I watched them install my tires and they were very careful as the mechanic told me they break those valve stem mounted tire pressure sensors all the time....I did not see any other sensors on the wheel....where is this speed sensor located?

I was planning to disconnect my battery when I got home and see if everything would re-set however thus far no need to do so as it seems to be ok now.

I really do not think it is a tire size issue as many here have different tires and I have seen no others with this problem. It seems this would be more common if related to a tire size issue.

12. Mar 10, 2010 at 12:34 AM
    ryhar85

ryhar85 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    W. WA
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD 3" lift
    3" Trailmaster lift, 18" rockstars blacked out, 275/65/18 sxt mud terrains, more to come.
    What!?! Where are these illusive 'speed limitless' roads? Need to find me some of these! Really though. . . ?

13. Mar 10, 2010 at 6:27 AM
    DdayIsNear

Member:
    First Name:
    Crazy
    NW Jersey
    Vehicle:
    TRD Offroad
    All pro sliders

yessir there are in washing ton state!

14. Mar 10, 2010 at 6:29 AM
    DdayIsNear

Member:
    First Name:
    Crazy
    NW Jersey
    Vehicle:
    TRD Offroad
    All pro sliders
    guide to Montana Traffic Laws - the state that has no daytime speed limit and had a $5 energy waste daytime speeding ticket during the NMS

sorry it was montana - google it its crazy

Products Discussed in

To Top