Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

guages crazy after new tires??

Old 03-09-2010, 06:43 PM   #1
Robocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobocop is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Robocop's Tacoma Gallery
guages crazy after new tires??

I have a 2009 4X4 Access cab with 16k miles. I just purchased General Grabbers in 265-70-16 to replace the factory tires that were 245-75-16.

Today I noticed when I was at hwy speeds (80mph) and tried to accelerate my traction control light flashed and the truck limited the power thinking I was losing traction.

It may be a sensor or something however it seems weird the traction control system is acting up one day after buying new tires. The Grabbers are a little wider however the outside diameter is basically the same as the 245-75s.

Has anyone else had this issue after changing tires and if so can the traction control system be somehow calibrated. The tires are great and I like the "look" of the Grabbers however the truck just feels weird now. It kind of sways when driving and the noise is a little louder at speed due to the A/T tread pattern. I guess I can live with it however the truck now acts like it wants to limit my speed with the motor stalling due to the built in safety controls activating.

Thanks for any advice as the dealer was not much help....they did schedule an appointment to look at it however that is two weeks from now.
Old 03-09-2010, 06:45 PM   #2
NWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NWtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
you were at 80mph and were still accelerating? slow down before you cause an accident bro.
Old 03-09-2010, 06:54 PM   #3
EricT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
EricT's Tacoma Gallery
No see, we can all speed like madmen now because OH GOD UNCONTROLLED ACCELERATION OFFICER see.
Old 03-09-2010, 06:54 PM   #4
Robocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobocop is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Robocop's Tacoma Gallery
Yes it sounds crazy I know however it also acted weird going from 5th to 6th gear at about 60 mph. If I accelerate very slowly it seems fine however under any real load the traction light comes on and the motor governs down.

The limit here is 70 on this one roadway and 80 is common....however maybe I should leave this problem alone as it will keep me slower and safer...(grin)
Old 03-09-2010, 07:02 PM   #5
mattcombs is a glorious beacon of lightmattcombs is a glorious beacon of lightmattcombs is a glorious beacon of lightmattcombs is a glorious beacon of lightmattcombs is a glorious beacon of light
Name: matt
mattcombs's Tacoma Gallery
give it hell while its new and c what sheel do
Old 03-09-2010, 07:07 PM   #6
Junior Mint
BeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BeardedWeirdo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWtacoma View Post
you were at 80mph and were still accelerating? slow down before you cause an accident bro.
It's OK, he's a cop.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:32 PM   #7
tex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Aaron
tex's Tacoma Gallery
I think it is just a coincedence your truck is doing this after new tires. I would take it to the dealer since this does not sound normal.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:52 PM   #8

Robocop's Tacoma Gallery
It may be my imagination however on the way home tonight I had no problems at all....truck drove normal at all speeds. Is it possible the computer had to have a little time to calibrate for the new tires? Before buying my tires I searched many types and decided on the 265-70-16 as it was so close to the same diameter as factory just a little wider.

I do plan to keep my appointment at the dealer just to be sure however for now it seems to have corrected itself.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:56 PM   #9
Banned
DdayIsNear is one of the sharper tools in the shedDdayIsNear is one of the sharper tools in the shedDdayIsNear is one of the sharper tools in the shedDdayIsNear is one of the sharper tools in the shedDdayIsNear is one of the sharper tools in the shedDdayIsNear is one of the sharper tools in the shedDdayIsNear is one of the sharper tools in the shedDdayIsNear is one of the sharper tools in the shedDdayIsNear is one of the sharper tools in the shedDdayIsNear is one of the sharper tools in the shedDdayIsNear is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Crazy
DdayIsNear's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWtacoma View Post

really, , really, thats all i can say, and i dont think we need to be parenting here. he is big boy and i am sure no ones words will chaneg his beahvior, he may have been in washington state where there is no speed limit on certain raods at vcertain times of day, or somewhere else that has 75mph speed limit and was trying to overtake someone....ask questions first, then maybe, maybe you can parent
Old 03-09-2010, 11:35 PM   #11

Robocop's Tacoma Gallery
I watched them install my tires and they were very careful as the mechanic told me they break those valve stem mounted tire pressure sensors all the time....I did not see any other sensors on the wheel....where is this speed sensor located?

I was planning to disconnect my battery when I got home and see if everything would re-set however thus far no need to do so as it seems to be ok now.

I really do not think it is a tire size issue as many here have different tires and I have seen no others with this problem. It seems this would be more common if related to a tire size issue.
Old 03-10-2010, 12:34 AM   #12
ryhar85 is a splendid one to beholdryhar85 is a splendid one to beholdryhar85 is a splendid one to beholdryhar85 is a splendid one to beholdryhar85 is a splendid one to beholdryhar85 is a splendid one to beholdryhar85 is a splendid one to behold
Name: Ryan
ryhar85's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DdayIsNear View Post
he may have been in washington state where there is no speed limit on certain raods at vcertain times of day,
What!?! Where are these illusive 'speed limitless' roads? Need to find me some of these! Really though. . . ?
Old 03-10-2010, 06:27 AM   #13
Banned
DdayIsNear is one of the sharper tools in the shedDdayIsNear is one of the sharper tools in the shedDdayIsNear is one of the sharper tools in the shedDdayIsNear is one of the sharper tools in the shedDdayIsNear is one of the sharper tools in the shedDdayIsNear is one of the sharper tools in the shedDdayIsNear is one of the sharper tools in the shedDdayIsNear is one of the sharper tools in the shedDdayIsNear is one of the sharper tools in the shedDdayIsNear is one of the sharper tools in the shedDdayIsNear is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryhar85 View Post
What!?! Where are these illusive 'speed limitless' roads? Need to find me some of these! Really though. . . ?

yessir there are in washing ton state!
Old 03-10-2010, 06:29 AM   #14
Banned
guide to Montana Traffic Laws - the state that has no daytime speed limit and had a $5 energy waste daytime speeding ticket during the NMS

sorry it was montana - google it its crazy