Notices

Front locker before rear locker?

Old 03-10-2010, 01:25 PM   #1
Reppin UWYO
A7XT will become famous soon enoughA7XT will become famous soon enough

Name: Kyle
A7XT's Tacoma Gallery
Front locker before rear locker?

Maybe I am just naive and inexperienced, but does this idea have any merit? Say you have a TRD sport with LSD rear diff and only can afford one ARB air locker to get more serious with your wheelin. Would leaving the LSD in the rear diff and installing the locker in the front diff make more sense than replacing the rear LSD with a locker? I mean the front has more weight over it for more traction and you can steer to gain traction with two locked tires. Any ideas?
Old 03-10-2010, 01:28 PM   #2
Rocking your mom's world Since 1997
drew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

drew02a's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by A7XT View Post
Maybe I am just naive and inexperienced, but does this idea have any merit? Say you have a TRD sport with LSD rear diff and only can afford one ARB air locker to get more serious with your wheelin. Would leaving the LSD in the rear diff and installing the locker in the front diff make more sense than replacing the rear LSD with a locker? I mean the front has more weight over it for more traction and you can steer to gain traction with two locked tires. Any ideas?
As long as you know how to use it, it shouldn't be a problem.

Abusing it WILL break your diff or a CV
Old 03-10-2010, 01:37 PM   #3
4cyl4x4 is on a distinguished road
4cyl4x4's Tacoma Gallery
I too agree with your logics, it sounds solid.
Old 03-10-2010, 01:37 PM   #4
ttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
ttylerr's Tacoma Gallery
if your truck is an 09 like it says in your profile, you dont have an lsd rear... but i was actually thinking of going the same route..ish, and putting a detroit auto-locker in the rear and an arb up front.
Old 03-10-2010, 03:02 PM   #5
Reppin UWYO

A7XT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttylerr View Post
if your truck is an 09 like it says in your profile, you dont have an lsd rear... but i was actually thinking of going the same route..ish, and putting a detroit auto-locker in the rear and an arb up front.
I thought 09 had an LSD....what does it have if not an LSD?
Old 03-10-2010, 03:04 PM   #6
My other ride has 18,400HP!!!!!!
rmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: Ryan
rmb_crew's Tacoma Gallery
it has auto LSD
Old 03-10-2010, 03:05 PM   #7
ttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
ttylerr's Tacoma Gallery
it has auto-lsd. it uses brake pressure to slow the slipping wheel. it only works in 2 wheel drive when you hit the vsc shutoff switch... search the forums there a ton of in depth explanations on how it works.
Old 03-10-2010, 03:05 PM   #8
Rocking your mom's world Since 1997
drew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

drew02a's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I thought 09 had an LSD....what does it have if not an LSD?
Auto LSD? I thought they had LSD too, but I just checked the specs on the Toyota website.

They at least have Auto LSD, but that's all brake actuated.
Old 03-10-2010, 03:10 PM   #9
My other ride has 18,400HP!!!!!!
rmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: Ryan
rmb_crew's Tacoma Gallery
09 has auto LSD only. Works with ABS to brake the slipping wheel while transfering power to the other wheel.
Old 03-10-2010, 04:01 PM   #10
Banned
Isthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Isthatahemi's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttylerr View Post
it has auto-lsd. it uses brake pressure to slow the slipping wheel. it only works in 2 wheel drive when you hit the vsc shutoff switch... search the forums there a ton of in depth explanations on how it works.
It also has front and rear "Auto Lsd" in 4 high, it's just called TRAC in Toyota speak. And the brakes transfer torque when applied, not just slow the spinning wheel......
Old 03-10-2010, 04:19 PM   #11
Banned
Isthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Do the 4L TRAC mod, and you will have the best of both worlds. Limited slip at both ends with none of the steering / breakage drawbacks of lockers. Less capability, yes. But more capabilty than most would ever use.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...4low-trac.html
Old 03-10-2010, 04:42 PM   #12
Reppin UWYO

A7XT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isthatahemi View Post
Do the 4L TRAC mod, and you will have the best of both worlds. Limited slip at both ends with none of the steering / breakage drawbacks of lockers. Less capability, yes. But more capabilty than most would ever use.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...4low-trac.html
thanks for the help! will this mod work on a TRD sport too?
Old 03-10-2010, 04:54 PM   #13
distinguished bongo truck art critic
Mxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Military Police Platoon Leader
Name: Chase
Mxpatriot's Tacoma Gallery
Tag...

A front locker would be helpful in getting the front wheels up rocks/vertical obstacles. Plus I like my rear LSD for hauling ass in the desert.
Old 03-10-2010, 04:59 PM   #14
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: K9 Handler
MonkeyProof's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to MonkeyProof Send a message via Skype™ to MonkeyProof
Quote:
how's that auto LSD working for you now? if it's working fine on the trails that you are doing then i'd say get the front locker. but if you're out on the trails and cursing at your LSD because it's just not enough to get over whatever obstacles then i'd say get the rear locker first
Old 03-10-2010, 05:21 PM   #15
Reppin UWYO

A7XT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyProof View Post
how's that auto LSD working for you now? if it's working fine on the trails that you are doing then i'd say get the front locker. but if you're out on the trails and cursing at your LSD because it's just not enough to get over whatever obstacles then i'd say get the rear locker first
I have never had a problem on dry trails so far, but I have been stuck many times in deep snow where the one wheel in the front and rear with no traction will spin and the ones that may have traction just sit there....wish I would have gotten the offroad with the elocker. Any idea if this 4L atrac mod will fix this problem?
Old 03-10-2010, 05:47 PM   #16
Banned
It is not ATRAC. It is TRAC (4 wheel limited slip), working in 4L. And it is amazing. I now have a truck with ATRAC, and this mod is 80% of ATRAC's abilities. With this mod, all 4 wheels spin together, none of that 1 front, 1 rear wheel spinning garbage.
Old 03-10-2010, 05:50 PM   #17
Reppin UWYO

A7XT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isthatahemi View Post
It is not ATRAC. It is TRAC (4 wheel limited slip), working in 4L. And it is amazing. I now have a truck with ATRAC, and this mod is 80% of ATRAC's abilities. With this mod, all 4 wheels spin together, none of that 1 front, 1 rear wheel spinning garbage.
Thats frickin sweet thanks!! I am gonna try it tomorrow. It will work with a TRD Sport right? I dont have an ATRAC button but I have the button that shuts off VSC....
Old 03-10-2010, 05:54 PM   #18
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thats frickin sweet thanks!! I am gonna try it tomorrow. It will work with a TRD Sport right? I dont have an ATRAC button but I have the button that shuts off VSC....
if u have ATRAC, u wouldnt need the yellow wire mod.

if it hasnt been stated already, you have an open rear diff and i would put a locker in the rear (cuz thats what i will eventually do)
Old 03-10-2010, 06:07 PM   #19
Banned
Quote:
Yes it will work. And the VSC button will de-activate it when pushed. Prepare to be amazed, as this mod is vastly superior to having just a rear locker, and about $1G cheaper too.
Old 03-10-2010, 06:22 PM   #20
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
TRAC is great! Do the wire mod that Hemi speaks of and have it in L4, too (for those with Sport TRDs). The Off Road TRDs get A-TRAC in L4... even stronger than TRAC...