1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Assistance in Looking at a Tacoma

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by wlmuncy, Mar 10, 2010.

1. Mar 10, 2010 at 6:25 PM
    wlmuncy

wlmuncy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2007 Double Cab Manual 4*4
    I am looking to get a new Tacoma or maybe a Frontier; not fully decided as of yet (and don't be an idiot and bash Nissan or I'll count you as giving useless information); so in comparing the two (same post on a frontier forum); I am looking for issues you have had; preferably with the 2010 model. Also would like to here the good about the truck. I am leaning towards the Tacoma, but I am not one to drop 30k on a car without real research and good feedback.

Now a little about me: My current car is a 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee (before the flames on this- it has 265,000 miles without any issues minus normal ware) I use it as a trail vehicle, so no need on the new truck. I am a member of the Jeep Forum, so know there a koolaid drinkers and haters in these places, so if you are either figure i'll notice from other post and if your comments lean to heavily either way, will figure you as biased and move on.

Thanks.

WLMuncy

2. Mar 10, 2010 at 6:27 PM
    NWtacoma

NWtacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kent,WA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Sport 4x4
    265/70/17 bfg AT
    tacoma>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>frontier

3. Mar 10, 2010 at 6:28 PM
    MOT

MOT Prez of @BattleBornToyotas

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    08 DB DC 4X4 Sr5 Sport
    Black Housing Head, Custom Retro fit, T-Rex #2 Eyelids 50 inch ToughLight Radius Bar and 2 20 inch Bars behind grill with BAMF mount, T-Rex #2 Eyelids, Custom Vegas Dezert Fab Front Bumper and Rock Sliders,Wet Okole's, WeatherTech Mats, Magnaflow Exhaust, Pro Comp 6 InchStage 2 Lift, K&N Intake,
    Tacoma duhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

4. Mar 10, 2010 at 6:32 PM
    HondaGM

HondaGM CallSign Monke

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    South-Pole, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2023 access cab V6
    i'll say frontier

5. Mar 10, 2010 at 6:32 PM
    ktmrider

ktmrider Senior Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB 4x4 Sport S/C
    Junk
    Ok this is what i think, these trucks are so expandable. Like you drop 30k for a brand new truck, and for that you get 400k+ miles so planning on keeping this truck until it dies. If you want to make it a trail vehicle you can get a butt load of different IFS lift kits, Long travel kits, and its a good base for a sas. Also if you think in a few years that the truck doesn't have enough power for you and you want to upgrade to a v8, you have a bunch of supercharger choices, so you can make it have enough power for whatever. There is a reason these trucks cost so much, they are built correctly and well for the most part. Im not bashing the nissans, but I just really havent heard that much about them and i havent seen them around so i dont know if they are shitty or unpopular, but Tacomas are a good truck :thumbsup:

6. Mar 10, 2010 at 6:45 PM
    Logically Insane

Logically Insane Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Wes
    TN --- USA
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner Access Cab
    Kobalt toolbox mounted with J-Hooks, Locks on storage compartments in bed, Window Visors, Toolbox LED Lights, Underbody Lights, More to come.
    I test drove just about every "compact" truck on the market, and hands down the Tacoma was my favorite. Sits higher, had better features, and just was what I wanted.
    Plus Toyota has a great history of cars and trucks lasting for years.. I've had friends junk Frontiers because of random crap screwing up on them.
    I'd buy the Tacoma all over again.. Granted I've only had it since January, but thus far I love it.
    Remember Tacoma's are meteor proof... hahah
    Good luck in your conquest., Hope you pick a Tacoma. :)

I have a 2010 PreRunner btw.

7. Mar 10, 2010 at 6:48 PM
    saltshaker

saltshaker Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    johnny
    north carolina
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Off Road MGM AC
    AFE CAI, Fold-a-cover
    I've always thought the Tacomas looked better than Frontiers but before I ordered my new Tacoma I considered buying a Titan because I think the are good looking trucks, so I typed nissan.com into my browser, and after seeing that, even though I don't know both sides of the story I wouldn't be comfortable buying a nissan.

8. Mar 10, 2010 at 6:50 PM
    neontrail

neontrail ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2004 NISSAN XTERRA XE/SE
    De-badged, Tint 20%, Blue 48 LED dome-light, .......

Well said!

1st.. Welcome to tacomaWorld....

Test drive a Tacoma and you will love it forever!

I will add that Tacoma has awesome re-sale value :)

Good luck in making your choice....:cool:

9. Mar 10, 2010 at 6:52 PM
    fau8823

fau8823 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Hampton Roads, VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Sport 4x4
    Tint-20%, Kenwood 2 meter radio, firestik 2 meter antenna on a BAMF tailgate mount, Extang Solid Fold , Pioneer bhs-3500 HU, clazzio leather seats, Scangauge II
    Of course, I'm partial. This is my second straight Tacoma purchase. I had a 2003 Prerunner I bought brand new, but just upgraded to a 2010 DC Sport 4x4. I have several friends with Frontiers and even looked at them myself. I have to say, I'd never be able to pick a Nissan over a Toyota in anything (also looked at the Xterra and Pathfinder). Toyotas are just made with nicer materials.

Plus, the Tacoma feels bigger when I sit in it. I'm a big guy (6'5) so that was VERY important to me. Full size was too big for the city I live in. Tacoma seemed to be the perfect choice. Plus, I NEVER had a single problem or repair on the 2003 I owned. Great trucks!!!! Also, check the resale values on Tacomas vs the Frontier. Can't be beat.

10. Mar 10, 2010 at 6:53 PM
    Przemekmsu

Przemekmsu Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Przemek
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2006 Toyota Tacoma, SR5 V6, 4x4 TRD Off Road
    K&N Air Filter, WickedFlow Exhaust muffler
    I had the same dilemma when I was buying my new truck. I was going back and forth with the question should I get a Tacoma or a Frontier. Now there is + and - for both, there is no such a thing as a perfect truck. I test drove both of them few times, and they both fell good when behind the wheel. One thing that I looked at was the dealership service department, I really like the toyota on that one. If you are not going to take the truck off road then go with Nissan, Frontier drove more like a car in my opinion. Off road Tacoma handles much better. Looks I must give to tacoma as well, I liked the way the truck looked when it came out in 2005. I am a pretty big dude at 6'5" and 225lbs and the tacoma was much more rommier inside than the Frontier. One thing that I looked at was that I always see old, beat up, rusty Toyota trucks on the road, hardly ever see old nissans, this was telling me that the Tacoma seemes to be little tougher truck. So another + to Tacoma. Tacoma is little bit more money than a Frontier, but you get what you pay for. At the end of the day I went with a Tacoma and I am glad I did, like I said the Tacomas are not perfect there is always something, but that is going to be a case with what ever truck you decide to go with. Hope this helps. Good luck!!!!!!!

11. Mar 10, 2010 at 6:55 PM
    ShadowFalken

ShadowFalken Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    10 Off Road
    Raptor stainless bars, Wet Okole covers, RollBak bed cover, PopNLock, Redline hood struts, XM radio factory kit
    I am still not sure what you want to use the truck for or what trim level you are looking at.

I like Nissan vehicles for the most part and a just sidelined my last Nissan pickup (97) at 276K miles to get my Tacoma. I had a Toyota P-up before that. You can have a conversation here, but I really want to know what you expect from the vehicle first. I have driven both on long trips (Even newer Nissan) and find them both comfortable. The Tacoma is getting better mileage V6-V6.

So what trim package are you after? Pickup, access, crew? 2x4 or 4x4?

12. Mar 10, 2010 at 7:03 PM
    81shark

81shark Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 Base Access CP1
    if you wanna go fast, get a toyota....

[flamesuit]
    all kidding aside, if i was in the market today to buy a car or truck, i would not buy any toyota until they really figure out what is going on. your mileage may vary[/flamesuit]

13. Mar 10, 2010 at 7:08 PM
    wlmuncy

wlmuncy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2007 Double Cab Manual 4*4
    Most comments have been great thank you all. I am looking at a Double Cab SR5 4*4 with a tow package. Not really for trailing (will keep the Jeep for that). I drive twice a month between Atlanta and Knoxville. The rest of the time it's city driving.

I do not expect it to be perfect in any manner. I have found that no car is without problems. In the end much is dependent on the driver not attempting to wreck it day one, and run the oil out on day two.

Still just looking for over all view, any problems I might look forward to. I know there is some rambling about rust (so might consider the undercoating). Some talk about bad flashing on the transmissions and such as that.

Again, thank you for you insight. Now I know Nissan has some issues as posted here:

http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f8/common-problems-frontiers-44626/

So again, just looking for some solid opinions before I lay down the money.

14. Mar 10, 2010 at 7:10 PM
    brickisred

brickisred Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    (still) Looking for Tacoma Prerunner 2wd
    Still on the fence myself, but I know I will NOT be buying a V6 Frontier. The power is awesome, but the problems I've read about premature timing chain failure on these engines is a dealbreaker. That and the abysmal fuel mileage...

It doesn't help that you can't get any real options on a 4cyl Fronty, either. (no 4wd, limited slip, utilitrack etc.)

15. Mar 10, 2010 at 7:21 PM
    1TUFFTRD

1TUFFTRD WTF

Member:
    out and about building powerlines
    Vehicle:
    06 AC with a skewp
    06 With a Skewp.
    i had a 2000 nissan frontier... little shit kept breaking every couple of months. i hope there better now but tacomas are the shit ftw

16. Mar 10, 2010 at 7:25 PM
    ShadowFalken

ShadowFalken Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    10 Off Road
    Raptor stainless bars, Wet Okole covers, RollBak bed cover, PopNLock, Redline hood struts, XM radio factory kit
    On a double cab, you may be hauling passengers. Set the front seats to a comfortable position and sit in the back of the trucks.

Look at the storage options of both trucks. I love the storage on my DC under and behind the back seats.

Fuel economy will be better on the taco, but both engines make good power so they burn fuel.

The transmission issue was a running production change. I checked mine, purchased late in December, and it already had the shift program update.

I like the way the Tow package is done on the Tacoma better. I have a 6x12 enclosed trailer so that was an area I looked into. I got the TRD OR so mine is a short bed.

It is your choice, let us know what you decide. I have almost 5k on mine already and it has been solid so far. I got it to drive and I am living up to that.

17. Mar 10, 2010 at 7:36 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    I traded in an '05 Nissan Altima 3.5SE for this Tacoma. I did test drive a Frontier overnight even though I already had my mind set on a Tacoma. I had a bad experience with Altima (in the shop about 5 times over 6 months for trans. and other issues. That thing was gone at 28K miles because I couldn't take it anymore. No, it wasn't a Frontier and, yes, it's now 5 years later but that experience made me shy away from Nissan.

I've had no problem with this truck, other than the failure to obtain the rear TSB (which I'll cure with an AAL and Bilsteins) and expect it to last many years.

18. Mar 10, 2010 at 7:37 PM
    scmbr549

scmbr549 Active Member

Member:
    I bought a 2010 DC 4x4 TRD Off Road in mid Feb. So far so good. Did not consider a Nissan because I liked the looks of the Tacoma better. I was a little worried about gas mileage after reading some of the post on this web site, but I've gotten 17.6, 17.3, 18.6 and 19.0 on 4 tanks of gas. Mix of highway and city. Roominess is good, I'm 6.1. Fits in garage no problem.

19. Mar 10, 2010 at 7:41 PM
    JeffRock

JeffRock Well-Known Member

Member:
    Capital region, NY
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma accesscab 4x4 SR5 2.7L
    Toyota all weather floor mats. Mag light that clunks around in the jack compartment. Dog hair. Dog drool on the windows.
    My friend just bought a new frontier.
    Pros and cons for both. Both are nice though!

He paid almost the same i did for my four banger sr5.
    He got a v-6 with nice tires and rims.
    Tough choice.
    test drive them both a couple times

20. Mar 10, 2010 at 7:47 PM
    fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!
    I did the same thing, but my choice came down to the Honda and Toyota. I wanted a truck that I could use as a truck and I felt the Toyota was a better choice. The Honda was very nice, just not truck enough for me.

Products Discussed in

To Top