Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Softopper visibility with double cab?

Old 03-10-2010, 08:54 PM   #1
szcz202 is on a distinguished road
Name: Michael
szcz202's Tacoma Gallery
Softopper visibility with double cab?

Hey all, I just bought a double cab Tacoma and am strongly considering the softopper. The only thing that I'm concerned about is the top severely restricting visibility when backing and on the highway. Last thing I need with a new truck is a fender bender at the grocery store.
Anyone have any experience here? Should I be concerned?
Old 03-10-2010, 09:22 PM   #2
Logically Insane is a name known to allLogically Insane is a name known to allLogically Insane is a name known to allLogically Insane is a name known to allLogically Insane is a name known to allLogically Insane is a name known to all

Name: Wes
Logically Insane's Tacoma Gallery
Do you have the backup camera?
Anyways, I never liked the toppers.. They always seemed to get in the way of everything, from driving to putting things in the bed.. My opinion of course..
Old 03-10-2010, 09:32 PM   #3
brettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
brettb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logically Insane View Post
Do you have the backup camera?
Anyways, I never liked the toppers.. They always seemed to get in the way of everything, from driving to putting things in the bed.. My opinion of course..
Im assuming he is getting the one you can take down in 5 minutes so he would probably just use it during times its needed.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:37 PM   #4
Logically Insane is a name known to allLogically Insane is a name known to allLogically Insane is a name known to allLogically Insane is a name known to allLogically Insane is a name known to allLogically Insane is a name known to all

Name: Wes
Logically Insane's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by brettb View Post
Im assuming he is getting the one you can take down in 5 minutes so he would probably just use it during times its needed.

That would explain the Soft topper bit aye?
I think my girls blonde hair is rubbing off on me..
Old 03-10-2010, 09:44 PM   #5
szcz202 is on a distinguished road
Name: Michael
szcz202's Tacoma Gallery
I do have the camera. I think the plan would be to leave the top up most of the time, only folding it up when getting a load of mulch or hauling something tall.
Tough decision here.
Old 06-08-2010, 05:35 PM   #6
drive.n.surf is on a distinguished road

drive.n.surf's Tacoma Gallery
I have a Softopper and it does restrict visibility when backing up. I don't have a rear view camera, I just use my rear and side mirrors and back up carefully. I only have my Softopper installed when I use it, otherwise it gets packed away and sits in my house. Setting up and taking it down is so easy, you don't have to keep it on your truck if visibility is a concern.
Old 06-08-2010, 05:44 PM   #7
whitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
whitebread's Tacoma Gallery
I found the Bestop made it hard to see out the back right. I know it isn't the same brand as the one you are considering, but it is a soft top. You just have to be careful when on the highway and going one lane to the right.

FWIW, I found visibility improved greatly when I went to a fiberglass top.
Old 06-08-2010, 05:51 PM   #8
HDFD10 is on a distinguished road
HDFD10's Tacoma Gallery
I have a best top soft top and love it! Dont think visibilty has diminished much at all. Acutally i was surprised how good it was. I planned to not keep mine up much, only while camping and such but i have yet to take it down.