thisERICtaco is on a distinguished road

Name: Eric
thisERICtaco's Tacoma Gallery
help! rear shocks question

so i have recently purchased a set of pro comp shocks for the rear of my tacoma
this is a 5 lug so this is why i did it
i got new shocks so when i go over speed bumps i dont get a bang
but anyway thats not the question
the shocks i bought inside of the bushing to the part that connects at the bottom it doesnt have a sleeve for the bolt to go through

also it came with this weird fork thing i dont know what its used for or what to do with it

another weird thing is that the shock came compressed not extended is this fairly usually?

so yeah i dont know what to do
i did order the boot cover for it too

o yeah and this is waht the shock looks like extended if you guys were wondering
it was hard to pull out

and the part number

it was suppose to be 324515

thanks for helping me folks i appreciate it sooo much
Old 03-10-2010, 10:45 PM   #2
Who needs 4WD?
neslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Harrelsen
neslerrah's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisERICtaco View Post
the shocks i bought inside of the bushing to the part that connects at the bottom it doesnt have a sleeve for the bolt to go through
I am not too sure what you mean by this. IIRC, my shocks came this way. I am not too sure about the part number. I will look for the invoice for the PN.

Quote:
also it came with this weird fork thing i dont know what its used for or what to do with it
This piece is for the top of the shock, when you tight the bolt with a wrench, this will hold the shock in place so it will not rotate.
Old 03-11-2010, 12:46 AM   #3

on the first picture
the bushing has no sleeve
so when you bolt it to the bottom plate of the axle then the bolt is just sits in there with no sleeve and then the bushing wears out faster
Old 03-11-2010, 04:25 AM   #4
Who needs 4WD?
neslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
on the first picture
the bushing has no sleeve
so when you bolt it to the bottom plate of the axle then the bolt is just sits in there with no sleeve and then the bushing wears out faster
I will take a look at my shock when the sun comes up.
Old 03-11-2010, 04:57 AM   #5
afd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
another weird thing is that the shock came compressed not extended is this fairly usually?

o yeah and this is waht the shock looks like extended if you guys were wondering
it was hard to pull out

thanks for helping me folks i appreciate it sooo much
I've gotten a different brand of shocks before that have been compressed. I think it depends upon the manufacturer of the shock. When removing the strap the shock should begin to extend on it's own. You shouldn't have to pull it out.
Old 03-11-2010, 05:09 AM   #6
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
I believe everything you are concerned about is normal, except for the part #. I take it those are ES3000? They probably just for got the 5. To my knowledge the Pro Comps don't have sleeves. Just about every manufacturer ships them compressed. If it were easy to pull out, it would be defective.
Old 03-11-2010, 05:19 AM   #7
ToeCutter66 will become famous soon enoughToeCutter66 will become famous soon enough
Name: Kevin
ToeCutter66's Tacoma Gallery
I just put a set of those in my 5-lug last weekend, along with the readylift kit. I tried removing the bottom bushing from my stock shocks, but was not able to get it to budge. I am planning on sawzalling them out. In the meantime, I just bolted the ES3000s in using the bushing that came with them. I had to trim the sides down to get them to slide into the the mounts.

Also, If I knew the readylift was going to make my truck ride so badly, I would not have gone to all the trouble.
Old 03-11-2010, 07:19 AM   #8
Black Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob
Black Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Cool

I originally ordered rear Pro Comps for my truck. The bushing was too long. I called the factory and they told me to trim it. After I did, I noticed the inside diameter of the bushing was larger than the bolt, but I tried it because they confirmed it would work. After I installed them and took it down the road, I could hear a banging when going over speed bumps. The bottom of the shock was bottoming out against the bracket where it bolts on. So yeah, sent them back and got the adjustable Rancho RS9000. They bolted in like stockers. End of story.
Old 03-11-2010, 07:24 AM   #9
Unsuspectingly striking from above
BirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Greg
BirdTRD's Tacoma Gallery
I had pro comp 3000's on an old truck. They had metal sleeves that came in the bolt package. It just slid in as a collar/ washer type thing to keep the bolt from rubbing directly on the bushing. I would think you'd need that piece. It seems like you're going to get premature wear without it.
Old 03-12-2010, 12:35 AM   #10

yeah exactly
so i guess i have to go to manufactuer and ask about the sleeves
or go to home depot and make some i guess
but thanks guys
also the shock had nothing ot keep it compressed
it just stays compressed which is werid
and when i pull them out it stays out and then i push them in they stay in
its just weird
are they just bad shocks?
and yes es3000
Old 03-12-2010, 12:35 AM   #11

o yeah and on the box it says sleeves sold seperately and comes in many colors
Old 03-12-2010, 07:55 AM   #12
Who needs 4WD?

Eric, I would suggest going with a different shock. I could not find my camera to post pics or videos, my shock has premature wearing.

When I did the install, I did not inspect my shocks before installing it. I too, thought it was weird the shock came compressed, and nothing was in place to keep it compressed.
Old 03-12-2010, 08:00 AM   #13
Unsuspectingly striking from above
BirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Greg
BirdTRD's Tacoma Gallery
My 5100's do not expand. The just stay where you put them.

With the sleeves in different colors thingy, I think that is talking about the boots. Those metal sleeve/collars should be the same color as the bolts.
Old 03-12-2010, 08:08 AM   #15
Dirty Trucker
TacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hayden
TacoSupreem's Tacoma Gallery
My ome shocks came compressed, but had a metal bracket holding it. As soon as the bracket was removed the shock would extend all the way out slowly.
Old 03-13-2010, 01:40 AM   #16

so i finally figured it out
oil filled shocks dont pop out like the gas filled ones
so thats how it works
but
and it turns out you can mount it up like that
but im gonna make a sleeve so teh bushing doesnt wear out to fast
and ordered neon green dust cover
Old 03-13-2010, 03:41 PM   #17
Who needs 4WD?

Quote:
so i finally figured it out
oil filled shocks dont pop out like the gas filled ones
so thats how it works
but
and it turns out you can mount it up like that
but im gonna make a sleeve so teh bushing doesnt wear out to fast
and ordered neon green dust cover
how are you going to make the sleeve? i will need to take my shocks off and inspect the rubber bushing.. maybe my shocks are still good.
Old 03-13-2010, 05:40 PM   #18
Fortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Fortech's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by neslerrah View Post
how are you going to make the sleeve? i will need to take my shocks off and inspect the rubber bushing.. maybe my shocks are still good.
All you need is a piece of metal tubing with the proper inside and outside diameter to match the bushing and mounting stud.
Old 03-13-2010, 05:58 PM   #19
OH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Steve
OH-MAN's Tacoma Gallery
Gas presurized shocks push the rod out. Non presurized do not.
The dbl fork piece is for other aplications. It goes through the lower mount hole and two bolts go through the two forks.
My ford has that type of mount on the front shocks.

Sleaves for the rubber bushing are a good thing.
Does your truck have some that are on the stock shocks?
If so you may be able to use them. If not make sure what ever you end up using fits both the bolt on the I.D. and the rubber on the O.D.

Best of luck hope everything works out O/K.
Old 03-14-2010, 12:15 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by OH-MAN View Post
Gas presurized shocks push the rod out. Non presurized do not.
The dbl fork piece is for other aplications. It goes through the lower mount hole and two bolts go through the two forks.
My ford has that type of mount on the front shocks.

Sleaves for the rubber bushing are a good thing.
Does your truck have some that are on the stock shocks?
If so you may be able to use them. If not make sure what ever you end up using fits both the bolt on the I.D. and the rubber on the O.D.

Best of luck hope everything works out O/K.
thanks
yeah im thinking of going to home depot and make some sleeves for it since i cant knock out the sleeves on the stock shocks
did i make a good choice by going with oil filled shocks then the nitro ones??