1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2010 Tacoma Radio Problem

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by IanBaxter, Mar 11, 2010.

1. Mar 11, 2010 at 9:04 PM
    IanBaxter

IanBaxter [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    10 Prerunner
    Well, my radio went out on my new Tacoma at about 300 miles :mad:.
    It's the JBL 6CD with XM head unit. I was driving home listening to XM and the sound started to get distorted. I thought the reception was bad so I changed the station. It wasn't the reception, even FM was doing the same thing. After a few more seconds, the sound completely stopped. The head unit was receiving all the stations and displaying the text of the different songs but wasn't producing any sound. I tried CD's and it wasn't working either. It would still display the TEXT of the songs, but no sound. The volume control was stuck at level 22 and I couldn't change it. I tried everything. Turning the unit off and on, turning the truck off and on and using the steering wheel volume controls. But, the bluetooth on the stereo works fine? Something weird is going on.
    I took it into the dealership and they said they're ordering a new unit. Hopefully it wont take too long to get this thing replaced. Driving without a stereo sucks!:mad:

2. Mar 11, 2010 at 9:09 PM
    topgun155

topgun155 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Richmond, TX
    Vehicle:
    2018 F-150 5.0
    RIP to my 08 Prerunner DC
    I think there is a TSB out for the head units. Some kind of manufacturing problem.

3. Mar 12, 2010 at 5:05 AM
    IanBaxter

IanBaxter [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    10 Prerunner
    Quick update: When I started the truck up for work this morning, the radio started working again. But, after about 7 minutes the radio went from distorted to dead again.

4. Mar 12, 2010 at 6:57 AM
    TexasTacoma37

TexasTacoma37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bring it to the dealer. It is a common problem with 09-10's.

5. Mar 16, 2010 at 7:49 PM
    IanBaxter

IanBaxter [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    10 Prerunner
    Okay I went to the dealer today for them to install a new Radio. I guess that's not the problem. They installed a new head unit and couldn't get it to work :( Now they are ordering a new Amp. Hopefully this will fix the issue. Anyone else's Amp every go out??

6. Mar 16, 2010 at 10:23 PM
    Veinguy

Veinguy Done, Retired from here :)

Member:
    First Name:
    Roy
    Tucson
    Vehicle:
    2009 Black Tacoma
    Sport Hood ARE LSII Lid Flowmaster Dual Exhaust Airaid CAI Airaid TBS 3" Revteck Lift Tires & Rims Billet Grille Insert Blue LED Dome Light Redline Quicklift Debadged Luminics blue bulbs in the headlights and Fogs N-Fab lightbar Hella 500 x 4 Wet Okole's Blk/Char Weathertec Mats Extra's sshhhhh!
    I have a 2009 , and just had the amplifier replaced as part of a TSB. I had a rediculous sound coming from the sub, when I asked at the dealership they said "oh Yeah, we've heard of this" they replaced the amp and verything is good now.

Products Discussed in

To Top