Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

DTRL Lens Melting

Old 03-12-2010, 06:58 AM   #1
wizo is on a distinguished road
wizo's Tacoma Gallery
Exclamation DTRL Lens Melting

Check this out, on both of my headlights the DTRL lens has a bunch of small bubbles as if it is melting. Anyone else have this issue. Also I want to take this to the dealer but I wonder if they will turn me down as I have HIDS. However the HIDs should have no impact on the DTRL lens.
Attached Thumbnails
DTRL Lens Melting-dtrl01.jpg   DTRL Lens Melting-dtrl02.jpg  
Old 03-12-2010, 07:02 AM   #2
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
did you mod this or do you have a newer tacoma with the DTRL?
Old 03-12-2010, 07:06 AM   #4
Class IV Category 8 Elite VIP Member (Only)
BradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bradley
BradleyScottETC's Tacoma Gallery
I'd turn your headlamps on and hit it with an IR thermometer if you happen to have one. I really don't think the dealer will do anything for you but sell you a new set of lamps, wether or not the HIDs would be the cause, just because that would be easiest solution for them.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:07 AM   #5
el tráfico más lento se queda derecha
SManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SManZ's Tacoma Gallery
If you haven't modded the truck or gone up-wattage on the DRL bulbs I'd take that back to the dealer. They may install new headlights for you It may help to explain that clear lenses are required to pass safety inspection if they say that the bubbles are cosmetic only (I doubt you'd ever fail for this, but its a point worth making to bolster your case).
Old 03-12-2010, 07:11 AM   #6
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by SManZ View Post
If you haven't modded the truck or gone up-wattage on the DRL bulbs I'd take that back to the dealer. They may install new headlights for you It may help to explain that clear lenses are required to pass safety inspection if they say that the bubbles are cosmetic only (I doubt you'd ever fail for this, but its a point worth making to bolster your case).
Only two issues with this-
1) I'm sure the dealership has someone on staff who does inspections...so if it's not true they'll call you on it.
2) Florida doesn't require any inspections after you register the vehicle.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:17 AM   #7
el tráfico más lento se queda derecha
SManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SManZ's Tacoma Gallery
Good points! I didn't know FL got a break on safety inspections. I hope they do away with that bullcrap in VA.

Reading the linked threads it sounds like the DRLs, headlight bulbs, and turn signal brightness is tweaked slightly at the factory when DRLs are added. I wonder if adding HIDs could have changed the output of the DRLs, causing the melting?
Old 03-12-2010, 07:28 AM   #9
Prerunners Work
PSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PSJ's Tacoma Gallery
Stock bulbs do not do this- it must be the bulb you put in there. Was the bulb larger in size? ( Not wattage )
Old 03-12-2010, 07:34 AM   #10
Danosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Danosabre's Tacoma Gallery
I would put it back to stock and bring it the dealer. I have HIDs in mine and one of the lenses kept fogging up. I took out the HIDs and brought it to the stealer, they replace the headlight unit under warranty
Old 03-12-2010, 07:34 AM   #11
wizo's Tacoma Gallery
Wow! Thanks for all the replies. I went in the garage to install my weathertechs and came back to find my thread blew up .

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyver View Post
did you mod this or do you have a newer tacoma with the DTRL?
Factory DTRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
09-Probably had DTRL stock?? What is the power on your HIDs??
55w

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSJ View Post
Stock bulbs do not do this- it must be the bulb you put in there. Was the bulb larger in size? ( Not wattage )
Factory bulb is in place
Old 03-12-2010, 07:41 AM   #12
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SManZ View Post
Good points! I didn't know FL got a break on safety inspections. I hope they do away with that bullcrap in VA.

Reading the linked threads it sounds like the DRLs, headlight bulbs, and turn signal brightness is tweaked slightly at the factory when DRLs are added. I wonder if adding HIDs could have changed the output of the DRLs, causing the melting?
GA doesn't do safety inspections either.

How did you wire your HIDS? which wires did you tap into?
Old 03-12-2010, 07:50 AM   #13
wizo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyver View Post
GA doesn't do safety inspections either.

How did you wire your HIDS? which wires did you tap into?
I did not tap into any wires. The driver side headlight plug controls the HIDs. Power for the ballasts comes direct from the battery on a fused circuit. Then the ground is located on the driver side fender.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:53 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizo View Post
I did not tap into any wires. The driver side headlight plug controls the HIDs. Power for the ballasts comes direct from the battery on a fused circuit. Then the ground is located on the driver side fender.

oh ok well I doubt the HID's had anything to do with it then.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:59 AM   #15
wizo's Tacoma Gallery
I think I am gunna drive down to the dealer and see what they say, I can't get them in the tele. I'll let you all know what happens.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:48 AM   #17
wizo's Tacoma Gallery
UPDATE

I took the truck down to the dealer. Service rep has not seen this on the Tacoma's but did mention he had seen this on Avalon's. Both service managers and a tech looked at the lights. They also found the sockets appear to be burnt. They informed me they are contacting Toyota corporate and will advise me of what the can do. Also they mentioned my HIDs and would investigate the possibility of them causing the issue.

I highly doubt the HIDs are to blame. If they pull that card I will be ready for it. Another note I will bring up to them if they blame the HIDs is why the dealer sells and installs HID kits if it melts the DTRL housing.
Old 03-12-2010, 06:05 PM   #18
Fortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Fortech's Tacoma Gallery
The plugs on my 2005 Canadian Tacoma that has DTRL from the factory also has the plugs discolored from the heat. The lens themselves however are still OK.
Old 03-23-2010, 03:55 PM   #19
wizo's Tacoma Gallery
Well bad news! Dealer told me they will not replace my headlights as per their rep I have modified them. I pulled temp readings proving the Halogen is actually hotter then HIDS but they don't care. I also showed them that the DTRL bulb is running at over 400*F and mere centimeters from the lens. Somehow they seem to believe the HIDs are causing this. However they told me even if that is not the case they will not honor the warranty as I altered the head lights. Total BS if you ask me, I could see if my issue was with the headlights but its the DTRLs that are the problem.

The biggest bunch of bull is when I asked them how the HID lights could have any impact on the DTRLs when they are NEVER on at the same time, they could not provide an answer. Yet still not willing to do anything further as they have never seen this and can only attribute it to my modification.
Old 03-23-2010, 04:02 PM   #20
wizo's Tacoma Gallery
Temp Readings

DTRL Bulb

DTRL Lens

HID installed

Halogen Installed

Halogen Bulb

HID Bulb