Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Any one having back pain issues/feeling uncomfortable with 2010 Tacoma seats

Reply
 
Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-11-2011, 09:55 AM   #61
Senior Member
RogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant future
 
RogueLeader's Avatar
Air Force: Aircraft Armament Tech
Name: Rod
Joined: Aug 2009, #21162
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Gender: Male
Posts: 308
RogueLeader's Tacoma Gallery
I drove my Taco from Las Vegas to Ft. Lauderdale and the seats were very comfortable. However, I have a Jeep Liberty for driving to and from work, and the seats in that vehicle are very uncomfortable. The lumbar support is too low, and the top of the seat runs along my shoulder blades, so that the middle of my back is forced to "bend" backwards. Then there's the active headrests that are placed even farther forward than the Taco.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 07:04 AM   #62
Member
DenisSeattle is on a distinguished road
Joined: Sep 2011, #64298
Gender: Male
Posts: 51
DenisSeattle's Tacoma Gallery
back pad?

I gather from replies that body type is a factor. I'm currently trying out a pad on the seat back. For starters I cut a section of a 3/8" blue closed-cell foam camping pad and put that against the seat back. That makes a surprisingly big difference. I might be looking for a permanent (and less ugly) pad. I could go 1/2" -- but the pad must be firm.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 09:24 AM   #63
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
T@co_Pr3runn3r's Avatar
Joined: Jan 2009, #12767
Location: <----------------->
Gender: Male
Posts: 9,813
T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Whoever doesn't like the SR5 buckets might want to try some wet okole covers. They made big difference in the comfort level to me. Also you can add an inflatable lumbar support to the wet okoles as an option too. Cheaper than switching buckets and less hassle too.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 06:13 PM   #64
Junior Member
CAtaco is on a distinguished road
Name: Nick
Joined: Aug 2011, #61821
Location: SoCal
Gender: Male
Posts: 16
CAtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JUJtacoma2010 View Post
Its true that 09+ trucks have a different head rest that kind of pushes your head forward. and I think thats a factor too. I will replacing it with something different.
I turned my headrests around. No longer pushing on my head. I had a few neck injuries/surgeries and my seat is much more comfortable now.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 09:55 AM   #65
Member
DenisSeattle is on a distinguished road
Joined: Sep 2011, #64298
Gender: Male
Posts: 51
DenisSeattle's Tacoma Gallery
One working solution: This prototype seat-back cushion has solved the back discomfort problem and the headrest position problem for me...

I bought some 1/2" cushion foam at a fabric store, and a yard of simple fleece fabric. I cut the foam to fit the seat back, excluding the headrest. Then I cut the fleece a foot longer than the foam and put 2 holes in one end. I tucked one end into the crack between the seat and back. The headrest posts go through the holes to hold the top of the fleece, so the fleece holds the foam in place.

I've been using this for a month or so. The only change is that I folded 3" of the foam up from the bottom to form a lumbar pad. (Yes, I have adjustable lumbar support but it's too high up in the seat.) If I don't find something like this on the market, I'll sew together a permanent version of the fleece-covered cushion.

The key seems to be that my head is now at a comfortable angle, not forced down. The headrest position apparently was the cause of my mid-back discomfort. I first discovered this by swapping the back and front seat headrests for a while. That led to my foam pad experiment.

The 2011 factory seat design is a total failure. The right thing for Toyota to do is to redesign the driver's seat and give owners a replacement.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:59 PM   #66
Member
DenisSeattle is on a distinguished road
Joined: Sep 2011, #64298
Gender: Male
Posts: 51
DenisSeattle's Tacoma Gallery
My wife stitched a more permanent version of the 1/2" fleece cushion. I tried it on a multi-day trip and it's quite comfortable. If you do this, make the cushion wider at the shoulders than at the lumbar. The full width at your shoulders keeps you stable on curves.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:07 PM   #67
Senior Member
JpAdct has a brilliant futureJpAdct has a brilliant futureJpAdct has a brilliant futureJpAdct has a brilliant futureJpAdct has a brilliant futureJpAdct has a brilliant futureJpAdct has a brilliant futureJpAdct has a brilliant futureJpAdct has a brilliant futureJpAdct has a brilliant futureJpAdct has a brilliant future
Law Enforcement:
Joined: Jan 2013, #94485
Location: Brevard County FL
Gender: Male
Posts: 314
JpAdct's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistax View Post
You know, there is a bar that runs across the bottom (from side to side) about tailbone level, that i can feel now... when i sit down i feel it pushign into my spine(tailbone).. hmm.
OK, sorry for bringing back an old thread, but better than starting a new one. THIS (above quote) is the exact same problem I'm having. I just bought a used 2012 TRD Off Road in January. The past few weeks have been tough as my lower back is resting on this metal bar and there is very little cushion between me and the rigid bar. This portion of my seat feels like a 300lb man drove the truck for 10 years, it's all broke down. I'm 5'10 and 180lbs, athletic build. I love this truck, even with the drive line vibrations, but if I can't get some padding between me and this bar, I won't be able to continue driving this truck. Right now I'm sitting on a towel that has been folded a few times to boost my butt up higher. This has slightly helped to lift me above the bar, but it still bothers my lower back too much. Have any of you previous guys come up with the answer here? I'm not finding any recalls or TSB's (thank you Toyota) about the seats so I guess it's up to us. I read about the 1/2" padding one member has had luck with, but I'm not sure he and I are having the same discomfort, mine is all lower back. Not giving up yet, but seeking a cure before I end up like a question mark!
Thanks for the advise/help. If you do like your seats and think I'm a wimp, save it, go be a video game bad@ss or something and please keep this informative.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:22 PM   #68
Senior Member
MikeMH is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeMH is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeMH is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeMH is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeMH is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeMH is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeMH is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeMH is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeMH is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeMH is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeMH is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army:
Name: Mike
Joined: Jul 2012, #82762
Location: Atlanta
Gender: Male
Posts: 162
MikeMH's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JpAdct View Post
OK, sorry for bringing back an old thread, but better than starting a new one. THIS (above quote) is the exact same problem I'm having. I just bought a used 2012 TRD Off Road in January. The past few weeks have been tough as my lower back is resting on this metal bar and there is very little cushion between me and the rigid bar. This portion of my seat feels like a 300lb man drove the truck for 10 years, it's all broke down. I'm 5'10 and 180lbs, athletic build. I love this truck, even with the drive line vibrations, but if I can't get some padding between me and this bar, I won't be able to continue driving this truck. Right now I'm sitting on a towel that has been folded a few times to boost my butt up higher. This has slightly helped to lift me above the bar, but it still bothers my lower back too much. Have any of you previous guys come up with the answer here? I'm not finding any recalls or TSB's (thank you Toyota) about the seats so I guess it's up to us. I read about the 1/2" padding one member has had luck with, but I'm not sure he and I are having the same discomfort, mine is all lower back. Not giving up yet, but seeking a cure before I end up like a question mark!
Thanks for the advise/help. If you do like your seats and think I'm a wimp, save it, go be a video game bad@ss or something and please keep this informative.
I've been finding my 2013 seats uncomfortable as well. What has helped most so far is using a Thermarest camp pillow behind my back. The foam in these pillows is made to compress and reinflate itself for camping so it is always fluffed when I get in the truck. For the record, I am 6'0 175lbs and have some other low back issues. I think I am almost a touch too tall for the windshield angle because I often catch myself slouching to see out (ever so slightly).
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:27 PM   #69
Senior Member
JpAdct has a brilliant futureJpAdct has a brilliant futureJpAdct has a brilliant futureJpAdct has a brilliant futureJpAdct has a brilliant futureJpAdct has a brilliant futureJpAdct has a brilliant futureJpAdct has a brilliant futureJpAdct has a brilliant futureJpAdct has a brilliant futureJpAdct has a brilliant future
Law Enforcement:
Joined: Jan 2013, #94485
Location: Brevard County FL
Gender: Male
Posts: 314
JpAdct's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMH View Post
I've been finding my 2013 seats uncomfortable as well. What has helped most so far is using a Thermarest camp pillow behind my back. The foam in these pillows is made to compress and reinflate itself for camping so it is always fluffed when I get in the truck. For the record, I am 6'0 175lbs and have some other low back issues. I think I am almost a touch too tall for the windshield angle because I often catch myself slouching to see out (ever so slightly).
I'll look into that. I'm also considering some Wet Okole seat covers since they have extra padding. That's an expensive gamble though. They are a very nice product so I don't think I'd be too disappointing, but I'd rather see how much padding they have before I order some.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:31 PM   #70
Senior Member
MikeMH is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeMH is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeMH is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeMH is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeMH is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeMH is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeMH is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeMH is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeMH is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeMH is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeMH is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army:
Name: Mike
Joined: Jul 2012, #82762
Location: Atlanta
Gender: Male
Posts: 162
MikeMH's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JpAdct View Post
I'll look into that. I'm also considering some Wet Okole seat covers since they have extra padding. That's an expensive gamble though. They are a very nice product so I don't think I'd be too disappointing, but I'd rather see how much padding they have before I order some.
Agreed, the WO look nice but are $$$. I got the above mentioned pillow for about 14 bucks on amazon and I can also use it camping.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:42 PM   #71
Senior Member
JpAdct has a brilliant futureJpAdct has a brilliant futureJpAdct has a brilliant futureJpAdct has a brilliant futureJpAdct has a brilliant futureJpAdct has a brilliant futureJpAdct has a brilliant futureJpAdct has a brilliant futureJpAdct has a brilliant futureJpAdct has a brilliant futureJpAdct has a brilliant future
Law Enforcement:
Joined: Jan 2013, #94485
Location: Brevard County FL
Gender: Male
Posts: 314
JpAdct's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMH View Post
Agreed, the WO look nice but are $$$. I got the above mentioned pillow for about 14 bucks on amazon and I can also use it camping.

Hey MikeMH, I've been talking with one of the Clazzio distributors and I think I'm going to give them a try. He has been telling me their leather covers have almost an 1" of memory foam in them. That might be the answers to get us up and away from the seat frame that is bothering some of us. Trying to find others to confirm or deny that claim, but they are supposedly nice covers for reasonable money.

EDIT: Just realized you're in Orlando. Lets meet up and see if our seats are the same. I'm starting to wonder if Toyota didn't have a batch of bad seats go out with insufficient padding.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 09:09 PM   #72
Senior Member
MikeMH is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeMH is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeMH is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeMH is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeMH is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeMH is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeMH is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeMH is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeMH is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeMH is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeMH is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army:
Name: Mike
Joined: Jul 2012, #82762
Location: Atlanta
Gender: Male
Posts: 162
MikeMH's Tacoma Gallery
Bumping this thread. After 20k miles I am considering a full size since I cannot get comfortable in the taco. I feel like if I sit back far enough to stretch my legs, the wheel doesn't telescope far enough to comfortably reach. If I sit close enough to reach the wheel, the seat is too high and I find myself slouching to see out the windshield.

Has anyone found a successful way to change the geometry of the seating position? I'm 6'0 175lbs for the record, not what I consider to be particularly larger than average.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 10:05 PM   #73
Senior Member
billinwoodland is one of the sharper tools in the shedbillinwoodland is one of the sharper tools in the shedbillinwoodland is one of the sharper tools in the shedbillinwoodland is one of the sharper tools in the shedbillinwoodland is one of the sharper tools in the shedbillinwoodland is one of the sharper tools in the shedbillinwoodland is one of the sharper tools in the shedbillinwoodland is one of the sharper tools in the shedbillinwoodland is one of the sharper tools in the shedbillinwoodland is one of the sharper tools in the shedbillinwoodland is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
billinwoodland's Avatar
Name: Bill
Joined: Nov 2013, #115980
Location: N. Cal
Gender: Male
Posts: 153
billinwoodland's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JpAdct View Post
I'll look into that. I'm also considering some Wet Okole seat covers since they have extra padding. That's an expensive gamble though. They are a very nice product so I don't think I'd be too disappointing, but I'd rather see how much padding they have before I order some.
Are these after market seat covers engineered to work with the airbags?
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 10:12 PM   #74
Saw things so much clearer once you were in my....
RearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
RearViewMirror's Avatar
Firefighter: IAFF Local 34 Professional Firefighters
Name: Craig Christ
Joined: Apr 2013, #102010
Location: State of Love and Trust
Gender: Guy
Posts: 11,263
RearViewMirror's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMH View Post
Bumping this thread. After 20k miles I am considering a full size since I cannot get comfortable in the taco. I feel like if I sit back far enough to stretch my legs, the wheel doesn't telescope far enough to comfortably reach. If I sit close enough to reach the wheel, the seat is too high and I find myself slouching to see out the windshield.

Has anyone found a successful way to change the geometry of the seating position? I'm 6'0 175lbs for the record, not what I consider to be particularly larger than average.

Do you look like a T-Rex???

Just giving you a hard time man. I'm 6' and weigh 185 and the truck fits me perfectly (other than I wish the armrest was a little bit higher). I love the TRD seats and they are quite possibly the most comfortable seats I've had in a truck. As far as changing the geometry it would take a special bracket on the bottom of the seat track and that would screw it up even more for you I would imagine and be unsafe in the process.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 10:18 PM   #75
Senior Member
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Khaos's Avatar
Name: Bryant
Joined: Feb 2008, #4570
Location: Tallahassee FL
Age: 23
Gender: Guy
Posts: 6,515
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
6"3, 265lbs, bought the TRD because of how comfortable I found it, as well as the locker. Never had a problem on long trips.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 01:22 AM   #76
Six lugs of fury!
Performula is on a distinguished road
Name: Justinian the Gr3iht
Joined: Feb 2010, #32276
Location: CO
Gender: Male
Posts: 313
Performula's Tacoma Gallery
Hmmm, bucket seats and rails anyone recommend? Low budget high comfort.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 10:14 AM   #77
Member
DenisSeattle is on a distinguished road
Joined: Sep 2011, #64298
Gender: Male
Posts: 51
DenisSeattle's Tacoma Gallery
Easy to make cushion for Tacoma seat discomfort

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMH View Post
I feel like if I sit back far enough to stretch my legs, the wheel doesn't telescope far enough to comfortably reach...
That's the problem I had initially. To recap, I quickly made a full height seat back cushion (link is to my earlier post in this thread), fine tuned it, then persuaded my wife to make the final cushion. The cushion simply brings my shoulders closer to the wheel, but not my hips.

Previously I had swapped the headrests around, positioned the seat every which way, tried a lumbar pillow, etc., etc.

The cushion we made works great. I've driven 900 miles solo in one day and had no extraordinary complaints from my back and neck.

This thread has uncovered some more classy and expensive options that may work well for you in the long run. Foam is cheap and easy to cut -- you can determine whether this will solve your back problem and what thickness you need, for about $15 at a fabric store. I later went to a foam shop and bought a remnant of thin closed-cell foam to boost thickness.

I'm about your size, 6'1, 167#.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 08:00 AM   #78
Senior Member
MikeMH is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeMH is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeMH is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeMH is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeMH is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeMH is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeMH is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeMH is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeMH is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeMH is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeMH is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army:
Name: Mike
Joined: Jul 2012, #82762
Location: Atlanta
Gender: Male
Posts: 162
MikeMH's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenisSeattle View Post
That's the problem I had initially. To recap, I quickly made a full height seat back cushion (link is to my earlier post in this thread), fine tuned it, then persuaded my wife to make the final cushion. The cushion simply brings my shoulders closer to the wheel, but not my hips.

Previously I had swapped the headrests around, positioned the seat every which way, tried a lumbar pillow, etc., etc.

The cushion we made works great. I've driven 900 miles solo in one day and had no extraordinary complaints from my back and neck.

This thread has uncovered some more classy and expensive options that may work well for you in the long run. Foam is cheap and easy to cut -- you can determine whether this will solve your back problem and what thickness you need, for about $15 at a fabric store. I later went to a foam shop and bought a remnant of thin closed-cell foam to boost thickness.

I'm about your size, 6'1, 167#.
Thanks for your followup, glad you had success. I am going to experiment with some foam and see what I can do.

Could you take a picture of what you did?
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 04:52 PM   #79
Member
DenisSeattle is on a distinguished road
Joined: Sep 2011, #64298
Gender: Male
Posts: 51
DenisSeattle's Tacoma Gallery
Homemade seat back cushion

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMH View Post
Could you take a picture of what you did?
Here are a couple of quick snapshots. Make the shoulder area as wide as you can without covering the side bolsters. Experiment with just foam before committing to a thickness or shape.

The front of the cover is ordinary fleece and the back is just any fabric you want. Inside is 1/2" foam. There's a zipper running down the length of the back so the foam can be removed for cleaning the cover. All of this came from a fabric store.

I doubled the thickness of the foam behind my lumbar to suit me. You could also sew a narrow slice of closed-cell foam into the "tail" to hold it more securely.


Above: seat cushion.

Above: Seat cushion untucked to show the "tail" that you push down between the seat and back to hold it in place.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 06:37 PM   #80
Member
DenisSeattle is on a distinguished road
Joined: Sep 2011, #64298
Gender: Male
Posts: 51
DenisSeattle's Tacoma Gallery
I forgot to add the photo from the back of the headrest, of the buckle and straps.
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Products Discussed in this Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Uncomfortable stock seats.......... mtnbyked 1st Gen. Tacomas 7 05-03-2012 09:56 PM
back pain kwiller 2nd Gen. Tacomas 2 02-17-2012 02:15 PM
Daily Back Pain? I'm Only 27! SManZ Health 24 03-13-2010 06:07 PM
Uncomfortable seats - solution satre 2nd Gen. Tacomas 10 01-16-2009 11:24 AM
Uncomfortable seats Waybo New Members 10 11-09-2007 12:43 PM


Copyright © 2014 Tacoma Forum. Tacoma World is not owned by, or affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation.