Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

rear window

Old 04-22-2008, 06:32 AM   #1
tossed salad anyone?
jasonh is just really nicejasonh is just really nicejasonh is just really nicejasonh is just really nicejasonh is just really nice

jasonh's Tacoma Gallery
rear window

busted one of my rear windows this past weekend delivering a ping pong table i only sold for 75 bucks. DO'H. toyota is charging almost 600 for a replacement one. i am curious if it is something i can change out myself. i had found a online manual saying it is farely easy. i am wondering if anyone out there has changed theirs out? Also i have read a few post about aftermarket power sliding rear windows. i have have done some googleing but have not found any. Any help would be much appreciated.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:03 AM   #2
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Replaced mine with lexan panels. Easy enough -- cut, apply tint, and insert into the frame.

Old 04-22-2008, 10:09 AM   #3
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
right after i got my truck a lawn mower shot a rock through one of my windows. i called alot of shops and toyota and everyone said the same thing, that the back window was all one unit and the individual panes could not be replaced. my insurance covered it for free so i didnt really care, but all the quotes i got were for around $600, not for labor but for the actual window and frame. i guess it's possible to just replace an individual frame but i was told that it was not
Old 04-22-2008, 10:18 AM   #4
Living vicariously through mjp2
eordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ed
eordonez's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcouch View Post
right after i got my truck a lawn mower shot a rock through one of my windows. i called alot of shops and toyota and everyone said the same thing, that the back window was all one unit and the individual panes could not be replaced. my insurance covered it for free so i didnt really care, but all the quotes i got were for around $600, not for labor but for the actual window and frame. i guess it's possible to just replace an individual frame but i was told that it was not
My father was robbed when he got his 250 the very second night, and they broke the little window in the back they told him the same, a single unit worth around 500-700 dont remember.... insurance covered it as well, i guess all trucks are constructed that way....
Old 04-22-2008, 10:29 AM   #5
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
If you do end up replacing the whole unit you should be able to save a few bucks by doing it yourself. Pulling the trim pieces and unscrewing the window assembly is pretty straight-forward.
Old 04-22-2008, 03:06 PM   #6
Unapologetic Texan
sawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to behold

sawdust's Tacoma Gallery
Consider getting a power rear window. I think it's about the same price.
Old 04-22-2008, 03:15 PM   #7
Slvr_DblTaco is on a distinguished road

Slvr_DblTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I always wanted to install the power rear slider out of a 4Runner.
Toyota has it for the Tundra, Sequoia, and 4Runner, but not the Tacoma - what gives!
Old 04-22-2008, 03:31 PM   #8
tossed salad anyone?
jasonh is just really nicejasonh is just really nicejasonh is just really nicejasonh is just really nicejasonh is just really nice

jasonh's Tacoma Gallery
ok here is what i found. the power sliding is kinda tempting. the none power one is affordable though at 182.99. i am worried about tryin to install it my self though. that would suck break it tryin to put it in lol i was just wondering if anyone has physicaly changed out there self. here is the link for the guys interested in the power slider who can afford it lol
http://www.truckininstyle.com/latemodelsliders.htm
Old 04-22-2008, 04:22 PM   #9
She's Kickass!
gavonder is a splendid one to beholdgavonder is a splendid one to beholdgavonder is a splendid one to beholdgavonder is a splendid one to beholdgavonder is a splendid one to beholdgavonder is a splendid one to beholdgavonder is a splendid one to behold

gavonder's Tacoma Gallery
Check this out. http://www.aztrucks.com/product.asp?Product=94 I had this in my '99 Taco. It was installed by the previous owner so I do not the cost, but it was really nice. I actually used it a lot.

GA
Old 04-22-2008, 04:58 PM   #10
05yota is on a distinguished road

Marines: 2nd Recruit Trainning BN ( Parris Island SC)"Drill Instructor"
05yota's Tacoma Gallery
i had a 4 wheeler go through mine about three months ago i had toyota replace it bc i wasnt payin for my wifes friend was bc it was her 4 wheeler that went through it... but keep lookin for the power sliding window there out there for the tacoma i found one just cant remember were.. i wish i would have thought of that prior to getting the stock replacement from toyota!!
Old 04-22-2008, 09:10 PM   #11

mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonh View Post
ok here is what i found. the power sliding is kinda tempting. the none power one is affordable though at 182.99. i am worried about tryin to install it my self though. that would suck break it tryin to put it in lol i was just wondering if anyone has physicaly changed out there self. here is the link for the guys interested in the power slider who can afford it lol
http://www.truckininstyle.com/latemodelsliders.htm
I haven't had the shop do everything for me. Seriously, pull the trim around the rear window and you'll see the screws that hold the window assembly in place. It's one of the easiest installs I've seen for a rear slider.

When I replaced the one on my father's old Mazda B2000 years ago that was actually a press-fit gasket. A bit trickier but still easy. These things are not designed to be difficult.
Old 04-23-2008, 05:51 AM   #12
tossed salad anyone?

jasonh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjp2 View Post
Replaced mine with lexan panels. Easy enough -- cut, apply tint, and insert into the frame.

that looks pretty cool. you just tore out all the glass and slid these things in? is the sliding part still glass?
Old 04-23-2008, 03:13 PM   #13

mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonh View Post
that looks pretty cool. you just tore out all the glass and slid these things in? is the sliding part still glass?
Yep. The idea was the keep as many of the conveniences that came with the truck as possible, and the rear slider was high on the list.
Old 04-25-2008, 06:31 PM   #14
Patron Prince
rlg0613 is on a distinguished road

Name: Bob
rlg0613's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gavonder View Post
Check this out. http://www.aztrucks.com/product.asp?Product=94 I had this in my '99 Taco. It was installed by the previous owner so I do not the cost, but it was really nice. I actually used it a lot.

GA
Both of those power sliders are the CR Laurence POWR models. I had one installed on my '06 Colorado before I got my Tacoma. Installed was about $600. I really liked it, but something to keep in mind is where the motor is mounted. I didn't even think about it until it was in the truck. It has like an armored cable that runs from the rear floor up the rear passenger side to the bottom of the window - in like a big "C" shape. The motor was mounted inside the passenger side tool/accessory box under the jump seat. In the Colorado it meant that the box could no longer be flipped up to allow full access to the floor. The jump seat still worked fine, but the passenger side floor could never form a full width flat surface. I know its kind of difficult to describe, but I would recommend that anyone check with their glass shop/installer to see how they handle the installation. The dash switch is kind of cheap too. It would look nicer wired to an OEM dash switch. Just my 2˘.
Old 04-25-2008, 06:36 PM   #15
eordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlg0613 View Post
Both of those power sliders are the CR Laurence POWR models. I had one installed on my '06 Colorado before I got my Tacoma. Installed was about $600. I really liked it, but something to keep in mind is where the motor is mounted. I didn't even think about it until it was in the truck. It has like an armored cable that runs from the rear floor up the rear passenger side to the bottom of the window - in like a big "C" shape. The motor was mounted inside the passenger side tool/accessory box under the jump seat. In the Colorado it meant that the box could no longer be flipped up to allow full access to the floor. The jump seat still worked fine, but the passenger side floor could never form a full width flat surface. I know its kind of difficult to describe, but I would recommend that anyone check with their glass shop/installer to see how they handle the installation. The dash switch is kind of cheap too. It would look nicer wired to an OEM dash switch. Just my 2˘.
Definitely something to think about.....
Old 04-25-2008, 07:21 PM   #16
Tug is on a distinguished road
Tug's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gavonder View Post

GA

That would really be nice to have. I've had my truck for almost two months now and have yet to open the sliding rear window.
Old 04-25-2008, 07:34 PM   #17
concrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Shit deflector
concrete jedi's Tacoma Gallery
Just let the insurance take care of it.
Old 04-26-2008, 10:07 AM   #18
tossed salad anyone?

jasonh's Tacoma Gallery
deductable is a thousand
Old 04-26-2008, 10:45 AM   #19

mmm strange, i thought glasses had another kind of deductible.....
Old 04-27-2008, 10:28 AM   #20
tossed salad anyone?

jasonh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by eordonez View Post
mmm strange, i thought glasses had another kind of deductible.....
i had called my insurance because someone else had mentioned that too, but they said it would have to be over the amout of my deductable in order for them to cover it. insurance people are just making a killing off of us