Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Oh Crap thats the transmission not oil pan

Old 03-12-2010, 07:02 PM   #1
XGR50.2 is on a distinguished road
Name: David
XGR50.2's Tacoma Gallery
Unhappy Oh Crap thats the transmission not oil pan

Even after reading about it on here and telling myself not to make this mistake it happened but I caught my self and plugged it back up right away.

Only about a mouth full of transmission fluid fell out, should I put some more in or ...????
Old 03-12-2010, 07:09 PM   #2
Asgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Asgard's Tacoma Gallery
Transmission holds about 12 quarts, when I changed my rear Transmission seal about a 1/4 of a quart ran out. It was too little to worry about IMO so I didn't bother topping up, my transmission is fine NP.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:10 PM   #3
Dreamer
TexasBlue has much to be proud ofTexasBlue has much to be proud ofTexasBlue has much to be proud ofTexasBlue has much to be proud ofTexasBlue has much to be proud ofTexasBlue has much to be proud ofTexasBlue has much to be proud ofTexasBlue has much to be proud ofTexasBlue has much to be proud ofTexasBlue has much to be proud of

Name: Kellan
TexasBlue's Tacoma Gallery
Wait... a 'mouth' full? Please tell me you didn't come about that measurement the obvious way.

I'm not going to pretend I know the answer to your question though... anyone else? I'm not even sure that our trucks have a dipstick to check the fluid level with.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:11 PM   #4
XGR50.2's Tacoma Gallery
okay haha I was a little nervous
Old 03-12-2010, 07:12 PM   #5
XGR50.2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBlue View Post
Wait... a 'mouth' full? Please tell me you didn't come about that measurement the obvious way.

I'm not going to pretend I know the answer to your question though... anyone else? I'm not even sure that our trucks have a dipstick to check the fluid level with.
No haha I just didnt know how else to describe it
Old 03-12-2010, 07:14 PM   #6
brians05taco is a jewel in the roughbrians05taco is a jewel in the roughbrians05taco is a jewel in the roughbrians05taco is a jewel in the rough

Name: Brian
brians05taco's Tacoma Gallery
just a drain and fill plug no dipstick
Old 03-12-2010, 07:17 PM   #7
dog tired is a name known to alldog tired is a name known to alldog tired is a name known to alldog tired is a name known to alldog tired is a name known to alldog tired is a name known to all

Army: Infantry
dog tired's Tacoma Gallery
I hate these new sealed systems, what a major pain it is
Old 03-12-2010, 07:49 PM   #9
81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed
81shark's Tacoma Gallery
you auto guys must have some odd looking under carriges.

i've never heard of so many people pulling the wrong plug.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:56 PM   #10
Iron Beard
Kyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
Kyouto42's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Kyouto42 Send a message via MSN to Kyouto42
I don't understand how the hell people mess this up. Yall need to take a basic shop class, or at least watch a youtube video or two.

At any rate, AT fluid levels are critical. The fluid IS the clutch essentially... it's the only thing converting power from the engine, to the wheels. It does this through the torque converter, which uses the fluid pressure to move the transmission. If the levels are incorrect, it'll have either to weak or to strong force... which will cause slipping or over torquing. Either one, can seriously damage the torque converter and/or the clutches on the gears in the transmission among other things.

Look up Chris4x4's write-up on how to perform a Automatic Transmission service (the 60k maint, previously 100k). It's pretty easy to do, and easy enough to get the level perfect if you follow it step by step. Take this as a lesson learned, but don't short cut this.
Old 03-12-2010, 08:11 PM   #11
81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed
81shark's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg256 View Post
. I bet if the rear diff was any closer to the trans, you'd have some guys draining that too!
Old 03-12-2010, 08:16 PM   #12
FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU...
SlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SlurpeeBlueMetallic's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg256 View Post
I bet if the rear diff was any closer to the trans, you'd have some guys draining that too!

Just another reason long bed FTW!

Old 03-12-2010, 10:10 PM   #14
dog tired is a name known to alldog tired is a name known to alldog tired is a name known to alldog tired is a name known to alldog tired is a name known to alldog tired is a name known to all

If you are in Ohio and want a oil and filter change
COME to dog tired school of oil change .............. quartered

The fee is a 12 pack of good beer and you bring the oil and filter
along with a tip ............maybe even lunch

edit
PM for oil and oil filter suggestions
Old 03-12-2010, 10:25 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81shark View Post
you auto guys must have some odd looking under carriges.

i've never heard of so many people pulling the wrong plug.
No it is really easy except for the mentally challenged

One can not today call one that makes this type of mistake a dunb ass . It is not politically correct.

So we play like it is a normal type of thing that is done every day .............. when it isn't .

Such is the new way of life ............... and that makes me mad

edit:
If you can not do the oil change --- go to your local joint vocational shcool and ask them to do it

it will be done right
and cheap
Old 03-12-2010, 10:43 PM   #16
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
christ..some of you guys act like you never made dumb mistakes before. i have. no sense making the OP feel like an ass. took nuts to post up his fuck up here. that has to count for something.

my mother and laws infinity..the two plugs are about 4 inches apart. i had to double take to make sure i loosened the correct one.

if i was the OP, i would take it to the shop for a topping off.
Old 03-12-2010, 10:48 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by aficianado View Post
christ..some of you guys act like you never made dumb mistakes before. i have. no sense making the OP feel like an ass. took nuts to post up his fuck up here. that has to count for something.

my mother and laws infinity..the two plugs are about 4 inches apart. i had to double take to make sure i loosened the correct one.

if i was the OP, i would take it to the shop for a topping off.
Made many ................... just never sought acceptance for them from the feel good squad ................ to make it seem like it is a ok think to do

Left computer still logged on / not my comment
apologies
Old 03-12-2010, 10:51 PM   #19
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dog tired View Post
Made many ................... just never sought acceptance for them from the feel good squad ................ to make it seem like it is a ok think to do

i dont read the OP's post that way.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:04 PM   #20

Stupid hurts ,.................
It is supposed to ...............

jungle law