Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Ride Rite Installation

Old 03-14-2010, 11:57 AM   #1
jcayce has much to be proud ofjcayce has much to be proud ofjcayce has much to be proud ofjcayce has much to be proud ofjcayce has much to be proud ofjcayce has much to be proud ofjcayce has much to be proud ofjcayce has much to be proud ofjcayce has much to be proud of
jcayce's Tacoma Gallery
Ride Rite Installation

Stupid question 1: I want to install these air bags and am under the assumption that I can just remove the bumpstop instead of cutting it off. Should the wheels be on the ground and level when I loosen the leaf spring u-bolts (to remove the bump stop)or should it be up in the air with jack stands under the rear? I can't seem to visualize which one of these ways will be worse than the other...
Old 03-14-2010, 11:59 AM   #2
jcayce has much to be proud ofjcayce has much to be proud ofjcayce has much to be proud ofjcayce has much to be proud ofjcayce has much to be proud ofjcayce has much to be proud ofjcayce has much to be proud ofjcayce has much to be proud ofjcayce has much to be proud of
jcayce's Tacoma Gallery
I took a look at some schematics and I think on jack stands is my best bet.
Old 03-14-2010, 12:03 PM   #3
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
The kit for Tacomas comes with instructions... I had mine installed by Off Road Warehouse in Escondido, so I can't tell you too much more... but they worked great at correcting the soft spring bottoming out on my last (2005) Tacoma DC OR 4WD. When I traded in the '05 for the '10, I kept the Ride Rits in case I would need them on the new truck (didn't know about the TSB then)... but the new truck has better springs!

Photos of the Ride Rites and Bilstein 5100s that were also installed to improve the ride:

Old 03-14-2010, 03:45 PM   #4
Fortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Fortech's Tacoma Gallery
When I installed mine I used jack stands to loosen the u bolts - but in all honesty it should matter as either way the weight of the truck is still on the rear suspension and springs. The jack stands will only remove the weight from the tires, which I removed to make access easier, and thus needed the jack stands.

The metal baseplate of the bump stop assembly helps keep the u bolts stationary on the leafs. I don't know what would happen if you ran the truck without them, but I imagine they are there for a reason as the u bolts shifting on the spring would cause wear over time and affect alignment. Just cut off the upper rubber portion, replace the base plate to anchor the u bolts and be done with it.