Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Mechanical LSD vs Auto LSD

Old 03-15-2010, 07:07 PM   #1
PA452 is just really nicePA452 is just really nicePA452 is just really nicePA452 is just really nice

Army:
PA452's Tacoma Gallery
Mechanical LSD vs Auto LSD

Interested in hearing opinions from those who have had both.

I have an '07 with a mechanical LSD. I think it works great. I have a friend who has an LSD in his Ford F250 and he's always very impressed, sometimes shocked, at the places I'm able to drive in 2WD, particularly in the snow. His LSD in the Ford sucks.

I've pretty much always driven trucks prior with an open rear differential, and the difference is huge.

That said, when the day comes that I move on to a new Tacoma (very long time off I hope), am I going to miss the old mechanical LSD? I know I've seen people say they really like all these computer driven traction controls in the new Tacomas, but I really just don't like the sound of it.
Old 03-15-2010, 07:12 PM   #2
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
u wont miss it. from what i've done so far the TRAC somewhat makes up for it
Old 03-15-2010, 07:15 PM   #3
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
i like mine
Old 03-16-2010, 05:27 AM   #4
Demoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud of

Demoncleaner's Tacoma Gallery
My 05 has the Mech LSD like you, my buddy's 09 has the auto LSD.

2wd, hitting my uphill snowy driveway all winter, or turning off plowed road onto unmaintained road, I just go. He has to stop, push the button, or hold it down for 5 sec if he wants VSC off.

While the Mech LSD makes good traction, and rocks in snow and dirt, it can fishtail easier, like a locker. The 09 has VSC and TRAC, makes the truck safer for majority of drivers, esp in snow on stock tires.

The Mech LSD clutches will eventually wear out, but at 50K and lots of use, no probs. The electronics controlling the auto-LSD, who knows. No matter, all vehicles are going the way of electronics so if you like it old school, gonna have to keep your current truck.
Old 03-16-2010, 06:03 AM   #5
Breadbox is on a distinguished road
Name: Matt
Breadbox's Tacoma Gallery
I have mixed feelings on the new '10 Tacoma I upgraded too.

My last tacoma was a '02 and all mechanical. Maybe it's just getting used to all the electronics?

However during all the blizzards this year I did think the TRAC worked very very well even enabling me to stay in 2WD places I'd never do so in the '02 -- on road...

I however found that in MUD my '02 was way better in not getting stuck. Now to be fair it might be the crappy tires that are on the '10 but still it seemed like I could chug through anything in the '02 in 4Lo. In fact I only used the locker twice ever on my '02. That's why I went with the sport I didn't think I'd need the locker...anyway...a few times I was just spinning wheels in the new electronic system because in 4lo it doesn't do TRAC or have LSD. I did eventually get out of the mud I was in but way more work and lots of changes of TRAC, No TRAC, 4Hi/4Lo...until I figured out the whole new "Fangled" electronics... My conclusion is it might take some getting used to or maybe the locker is more necessary in the electronic versions of this truck??? To late for me, I'd need an ABR or something to get a locker now and that's too much $$$ right now.

Just my 2C.
Old 03-16-2010, 10:58 AM   #6
trd09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chuck
trd09's Tacoma Gallery
The 09+ Tacoma 4wd system is very competent and a step up from the 05-08 in most conditions.

In 2wd, it will fishtail much less as the vsc and trac will intervene. When pushing the autolsd button it works well, but honestly I use 4wd when i need more traction...

And once in 4wd, the auto lsd will function for both the front and rear (traction control is disabled although the braking feature and vsc is still operative). this is advantageous over the only rear mech rear lsd in the 05-08.

the only problem with the non a-trac (non TRD OR) 09+ is that in 4lo, everything is totally open. there is a mod that will allow the f + r traction control feature on in 4lo by cutting a wire in the glove box (similar to reg 4wd operation).

bottom line, in 4wd, the 09+ will go further than the 05-08...

hope this helps.
Old 03-16-2010, 11:04 AM   #7
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
I just came back from a trip to Glamis. There was a situation where I needed more traction because I was towing while I was on dirt/sand and trying to drive onto the road that was slightly higher than the dirt/sand I was on. I used 4wd but only for a few feet since I needed to make a sharp turn. I didn't think to use the Auto LSD but I'm sure it would have really helped in that situation.
Old 03-16-2010, 02:38 PM   #8
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breadbox View Post
I have mixed feelings on the new '10 Tacoma I upgraded too.

My last tacoma was a '02 and all mechanical. Maybe it's just getting used to all the electronics?

However during all the blizzards this year I did think the TRAC worked very very well even enabling me to stay in 2WD places I'd never do so in the '02 -- on road...

I however found that in MUD my '02 was way better in not getting stuck. Now to be fair it might be the crappy tires that are on the '10 but still it seemed like I could chug through anything in the '02 in 4Lo. In fact I only used the locker twice ever on my '02. That's why I went with the sport I didn't think I'd need the locker...anyway...a few times I was just spinning wheels in the new electronic system because in 4lo it doesn't do TRAC or have LSD. I did eventually get out of the mud I was in but way more work and lots of changes of TRAC, No TRAC, 4Hi/4Lo...until I figured out the whole new "Fangled" electronics... My conclusion is it might take some getting used to or maybe the locker is more necessary in the electronic versions of this truck??? To late for me, I'd need an ABR or something to get a locker now and that's too much $$$ right now.

Just my 2C.
search here for the yellow wire mod. i need to do it to mine. it enables the TRAC in 4L
Old 03-16-2010, 03:05 PM   #9
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA452 View Post
That said, when the day comes that I move on to a new Tacoma (very long time off I hope), am I going to miss the old mechanical LSD? I know I've seen people say they really like all these computer driven traction controls in the new Tacomas, but I really just don't like the sound of it.
I'm with ya on that..... I love my 07 mechanical LSD. I've always been more of a 'mechanical' person than an electronic one simply for the fact that mechanical stuff is easier to understand and easier to replace.

However - when I'm ready to buy a new tacoma (3-5 years??), the electronic features won't prevent me from buying one.

Now, along those same lines..... I wish Tacomas had the option similar to the Grand Cherokee (Quadradrive). That system is frigin amazing and it has low range also. It's AWD....(60/40 I think) which transfers power mechanically side to side and front to back.
Old 12-24-2013, 07:28 PM   #10
Milowilli
Milowilli is one of the sharper tools in the shedMilowilli is one of the sharper tools in the shedMilowilli is one of the sharper tools in the shedMilowilli is one of the sharper tools in the shedMilowilli is one of the sharper tools in the shedMilowilli is one of the sharper tools in the shedMilowilli is one of the sharper tools in the shedMilowilli is one of the sharper tools in the shedMilowilli is one of the sharper tools in the shedMilowilli is one of the sharper tools in the shedMilowilli is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Miles
Milowilli's Tacoma Gallery
I have both installed. The Auto LSD eats rear brakes ..less than a month in our conditions.
Old 12-25-2013, 06:49 AM   #11
Manic Mechanic
Hugh Morron is a jewel in the roughHugh Morron is a jewel in the roughHugh Morron is a jewel in the rough

Name: Bill
Hugh Morron's Tacoma Gallery
You do realize this thread is 3 years old. You have to disable your traction control with a MLSD or you are going to burn brakes like crazy. Every time you spin your tires offroad your traction control is braking your rear wheels. Do an abs disable mod so when you go offroad you can do so without wiping out your rear brakes
Old 12-25-2013, 07:35 AM   #12
Well, let's play chess.
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Morron View Post
You do realize this thread is 3 years old. You have to disable your traction control with a MLSD or you are going to burn brakes like crazy. Every time you spin your tires offroad your traction control is braking your rear wheels. Do an abs disable mod so when you go offroad you can do so without wiping out your rear brakes
Miles is a pretty smart guy. I'll trust that he knows the date, and the interaction between an LSD and ABS derived traction aids.

I've heard the bit about a mechanical LSD and traction control before, but it doesn't make sense to me. Won't the LSD address the rotational imbalance, lessening wear on the brakes? I'd also guess that Toyota wouldn't put AUTO LSD functionality on a truck with a factory LSD.
Old 12-25-2013, 08:34 AM   #13
Manic Mechanic
Hugh Morron is a jewel in the roughHugh Morron is a jewel in the roughHugh Morron is a jewel in the rough

Name: Bill
Hugh Morron's Tacoma Gallery
[QUOTE=DoorDing;7906590]Miles is a pretty smart guy. I'll trust that he knows the date, and the interaction between an LSD and ABS derived traction aids.

Whoa. I never said that Miles wasn't smart. He is most likely smarter than I am. I was only pointing out that if the ALSD system is eating rear brakes that he should disable it when offroading.

As to why it eats brakes I am guessing that when the rear tires spin the traction control is braking both rear wheels to control the wheelspin. Don't forget that even if you turn on the ALSD once you hit 30mph it shuts itself back off and the traction control takes over.

I would also be worried that since the traction control has the ability to brake each wheel that it might try to brake one wheel more than the other and damage the MLSD. Something to think about.

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL
Old 12-25-2013, 09:39 AM   #14
Well, let's play chess.
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
I didn't mean to imply you thought anything about Miles one way or the other.

To clarify, VSC isn't the same thing as AUTO LSD, or simple traction control. Rather than braking both rear wheels simultaneously when AUTO LSD is active, more likely engine management cuts power. Kind of stupid to do otherwise, IMO.

I'd still be surprised if Toyota put AUTO LSD and a mechanical LSD on the same truck.
Old 12-26-2013, 07:29 AM   #15
Milowilli
Milowilli is one of the sharper tools in the shedMilowilli is one of the sharper tools in the shedMilowilli is one of the sharper tools in the shedMilowilli is one of the sharper tools in the shedMilowilli is one of the sharper tools in the shedMilowilli is one of the sharper tools in the shedMilowilli is one of the sharper tools in the shedMilowilli is one of the sharper tools in the shedMilowilli is one of the sharper tools in the shedMilowilli is one of the sharper tools in the shedMilowilli is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Miles
Milowilli's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoorDing View Post
Miles is a pretty smart guy. I'll trust that he knows the date, and the interaction between an LSD and ABS derived traction aids.

I've heard the bit about a mechanical LSD and traction control before, but it doesn't make sense to me. Won't the LSD address the rotational imbalance, lessening wear on the brakes? I'd also guess that Toyota wouldn't put AUTO LSD functionality on a truck with a factory LSD.
Haaa you bet I put a switch to disable all the electronic Traction Gizmos!!! That's why we put in a mechanical LSD to have something to aid traction, so the truck has both!!!
The roads down there are extreme..ever seen Gold Rush ..filmed in Guyana?? Auto LSD has a hard time using brakes in Wet muddy sandy clay. Truck has front ARB Locker And rear LSD out of an 05
Rear brakes are done within a month!! Lol
Merry Christmas guys!!!