Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Coatings 101 - What to apply to TRD skid, avid light bar, and avid sliders??

Old 03-16-2010, 09:00 PM   #1
Banned
PreRunner is a name known to allPreRunner is a name known to allPreRunner is a name known to allPreRunner is a name known to allPreRunner is a name known to allPreRunner is a name known to all
PreRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Question Coatings 101 - What to apply to TRD skid, avid light bar, and avid sliders??

Want to get all three done in same color, at same time. Want to get the most durable option. Not sure if thats paint, powdercoating, line-x, etc etc. A quick search shows no line-x dealer within 75 miles from me. located in florida. what should i go with and why? thanks.

Edit: also, what color would you go with? was leaning towards black

Old 03-16-2010, 09:03 PM   #2
NWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NWtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
id go with black line-x dude.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:13 PM   #3
tex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Aaron
tex's Tacoma Gallery
you can coat it with 3M bed liner. It comes in an aersol can from Oreilly's for about $9. I used it on my light bar and it has held up great. It has a slight texture to it. I have used it as a tie down point for a canoe a few times and cant even tell.
A friend used it to coat a bumper he made for his jeep and it is holding up great.

This way if it does get chipped or whatever you can touch it up with out much issue.
Check out the pics in my profile and there are some pics of the light bar in there.
Old 03-17-2010, 06:38 AM   #4
Banned
PreRunner is a name known to allPreRunner is a name known to allPreRunner is a name known to allPreRunner is a name known to allPreRunner is a name known to allPreRunner is a name known to all
PreRunner's Tacoma Gallery
leaning towards black line-x ...
Old 03-17-2010, 07:10 AM   #5
Razorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Razorecko's Tacoma Gallery
I'd also say line-x. It will be much easier to touch things up later.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:13 AM   #6
FL Forester is one of the sharper tools in the shedFL Forester is one of the sharper tools in the shedFL Forester is one of the sharper tools in the shedFL Forester is one of the sharper tools in the shedFL Forester is one of the sharper tools in the shedFL Forester is one of the sharper tools in the shedFL Forester is one of the sharper tools in the shedFL Forester is one of the sharper tools in the shedFL Forester is one of the sharper tools in the shedFL Forester is one of the sharper tools in the shedFL Forester is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
FL Forester's Tacoma Gallery
All of the parts are going to take some kind of beating so I would use something that you could touch up yourself.

Where in Florida are you located?
Old 04-28-2011, 06:55 PM   #7
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
If I am not mistaken you must get line-x at a line-x dealer, for those of us who are 200 some miles away from one.... is there any other way to do line-x yourself. or will we have to compromise. if so, any other suggestions besides 3M bed liner?
Old 04-29-2011, 01:11 AM   #8
anthojoe has a spectacular aura aboutanthojoe has a spectacular aura aboutanthojoe has a spectacular aura about
Coast Guard: Lieutenant Junior Grade, CG TACLET PACAREA, LEDET OIC
Name: Joe
anthojoe's Tacoma Gallery
I coated the following with Duplicolor Truck Bed Coating and I am more than happy with the results:

Bull Bar
Running Boards
Rear Bumper
Fenders

Have been running it for about 2 weeks - extremely durable and has a great look to it IMO.