Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

1st gen rear end vs 2nd gen rear end

Old 03-17-2010, 12:31 PM   #1
The Beast
Usurper is a glorious beacon of lightUsurper is a glorious beacon of lightUsurper is a glorious beacon of lightUsurper is a glorious beacon of lightUsurper is a glorious beacon of light
Usurper's Tacoma Gallery
1st gen rear end vs 2nd gen rear end

So I am in the market for a new rear end for my truck. I am wondering if the first generation rear ends are the same as the second generation rear ends. Does anyone have any background on the subject? I have a guy that is offering me a 2001 rear end with the elocker on it but from a 2WD. Would that fit my 2006 4x4 tacoma? All I really need is the 3rd member to put in my rear end (no pun intended) haha
Old 03-17-2010, 01:43 PM   #2
Do Work Son!
rossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
rossk35's Tacoma Gallery
They use the same housings, so you can just swap the 3rd members. Does your truck currently have a locker installed? The locker uses a 8" rear end whereas the other tacomas use a 8.4" rear end.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:17 AM   #3
The Beast
Usurper is a glorious beacon of lightUsurper is a glorious beacon of lightUsurper is a glorious beacon of lightUsurper is a glorious beacon of lightUsurper is a glorious beacon of light
Usurper's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossk35 View Post
They use the same housings, so you can just swap the 3rd members. Does your truck currently have a locker installed? The locker uses a 8" rear end whereas the other tacomas use a 8.4" rear end.
It has the stock locking rear diff that comes with the Trd off road package. Do you think the 2004 with the locker for sale on this website will replace my 2006 3rd member?
Old 03-18-2010, 11:27 AM   #4
Uncivilized Creations Prez
PrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Redz
PrezidentRedz's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to PrezidentRedz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usurper View Post
So I am in the market for a new rear end for my truck. I am wondering if the first generation rear ends are the same as the second generation rear ends. Does anyone have any background on the subject? I have a guy that is offering me a 2001 rear end with the elocker on it but from a 2WD. Would that fit my 2006 4x4 tacoma? All I really need is the 3rd member to put in my rear end (no pun intended) haha
Why do you need a new rear??? did you break something?
Old 03-18-2010, 11:29 AM   #5
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossk35 View Post
They are all 8.4" , but are referred to as 8".
Old 03-18-2010, 11:31 AM   #6
PrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
They are all 8.4" , but are referred to as 8".
Negative, The TRD axle with the Locker has an 8" Ring Gear. Non locking rears had the 8.4" and there a little bit thicker.

You might be kinda right Ben. but there is a Difference between the locking 3rd and the non locking third. might just be the thickness of the ring gear. I dont have time to look right now.
Old 03-18-2010, 11:38 AM   #7
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
http://home.4x4wire.com/erik/diffs/

You sure?
Locking Diff
Quote:
A factory option on 3rd Gen. 4Runners, Tacoma 4x4's, and Tacoma PreRunner 4x2's is an electric locking rear differential. This diff is a 4-pinon design based on the Turbo/V6 8" diff and uses the same gear sets and bearings (except for the large bearing near the locking mechanism).
These locking diffs can be retrofitted into 8" diff axles if the axle housing is modified (see this article for more info)
. It cannot be easily retrofitted into a T100/Tundra or open-diff Tacoma style axle housing because the mounting bolt pattern is smaller. It "could" be done by an axle builder by doing major work to the mounting flange, but that is not really a practical option.
- 30 spline pinion on OEM gears, swap pinion flange to 27 spline to use aftermarket gears
Non-locking
Quote:
All 2wd and 4wd T100's, '00-06 Tundra's, and ?? Sequoia's use a newer/stronger 8" 2-pinion diff. Tacoma 4x4's and Tacoma PreRunner's that don't come with the electric locker (aka "non-TRD), as well as V6 Tacoma 4x2's also came with this diff.
This diff commonly and mistakenly called an 8.4" or 8.25" diff, possibly to imply its extra strength. The ring gear actually measures 8". The extra strength of this diff comes from the bearing cap/truss and large diameter pinion gear shaft.
LSD's available is the TRD/Kazuma clutch-type 3-pinion LSD, the OEM 4-pinion Tundra TRD LSD, and the Detroit Trutrac.
Lockers available are the Powertrax "Lock-right," "No-Slip," ARB Air Locker, Detroit Softlocker.This diff cannot be fitted to an older style 8" axle because it uses a larger diameter mounting bolt pattern and because more space inside the housing necessary to accommodate the large bearing cap. The different bolt pattern also makes it very impractical to swap in an electric locking Toyota diff (the whole mounting flange would have to be re-done using a special jig).
- Carrier bearing truss and newer housing adds significant strength over V6 and 4cyl diffs
- Uses V6 carrier bearings, larger pinion bearings
- Uses shims for backlash adjustment instead of threaded adjusters
- Twelve 12mm Ring gear bolts
- 10mm axle housing studs with 14mm nuts
- 30 splilne axles
- 30 spline pinion
* 4Runners do NOT use this diff at all. Late-model 4Runners still use the V6 8" diff above.
** This diff is NOT swappable with V6, 4cyl, high-pinion, or electric locking diffs. This diff cannot be fitted to an older style 8" axle because it uses a larger diameter mounting bolt pattern and because more space inside the housing necessary to accommodate the large bearing cap.
Old 03-18-2010, 11:55 AM   #8

There still sold as different sets: I think...
"The extra strength of this diff comes from the bearing cap/truss and large diameter pinion gear shaft."

As you could not run this Pinion on a locker 3rd.
Old 03-18-2010, 11:56 AM   #9

But anyways why would you want to put a 1st gen 3rd in a 2nd gen truck?? Did he break something?
Old 03-18-2010, 12:06 PM   #10

Marines:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrezidentRedz View Post
There still sold as different sets: I think...
"The extra strength of this diff comes from the bearing cap/truss and large diameter pinion gear shaft."

As you could not run this Pinion on a locker 3rd.
True.
Old 03-18-2010, 12:06 PM   #11

Marines:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrezidentRedz View Post
But anyways why would you want to put a 1st gen 3rd in a 2nd gen truck?? Did he break something?
X2, maybe the actuator?