Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Every now and again trouble starting.

Old 03-17-2010, 07:29 PM   #1
Poodoo
luk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lucas
luk8272's Tacoma Gallery
Every now and again trouble starting.

Just recently I have had trouble starting my truck. Turns over an excessive amount, I mean more than normal. About 4-5 months ago I had my battery replaced, had a dead cell, and coouldn't handle the load of starting. Everything was going fine until about 2 weeks ago. I tried starting my truck and it took 3 trys, it would turn over but not start. Took a second to relax and tried it again truck acted fine. Went like that for a few days. Just today it did it again. Any thoughts.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:44 PM   #2
OCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: MP
OCTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Does your battery ever drain? Have you checked the voltage on on your battery? Also maybe your fuel pump is going out, or fuel filter is dirty. Could be that one of the hoses in your intake system is lose, craked, or has a leak somewhere. All these would be good things to check.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:46 PM   #3
Shamesbum is on a distinguished road
Shamesbum's Tacoma Gallery
I am not sure of the cause, but I can tell you that i have had that happen with my 09 dc twice. Truck runs fine after it finally fires (usually 2nd try it will fire up). Hopefully its nothing serious
Old 03-17-2010, 07:46 PM   #4
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
if your battery and alternator are good.....they may need to reflash the ecu. there was an "intermittent/extended cranking" tsb,a dn they reflashed the ecu to remedy it.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:53 PM   #5
Poodoo
luk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

luk8272's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the replys. Battery is fine as is altenator. I only have 33k miles on my truck so I would expect the fuel filter to be fine. I would hope the fuel pump is also. Fuel pressure is fine while it is running and the issue happens at random intervals sometimes weeks apart. It also doesn't throw any codes. Since it was new this has happended maybe 5-7 times. Got the truck in 07 with 18 miles. I know the truck pretty well. Just curios as when you don't know whats wrong with it you start planning in advance for the day it quits and you can find the actual problem.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:00 PM   #7
snowmansgarage is a glorious beacon of lightsnowmansgarage is a glorious beacon of lightsnowmansgarage is a glorious beacon of lightsnowmansgarage is a glorious beacon of lightsnowmansgarage is a glorious beacon of light

snowmansgarage's Tacoma Gallery
Just brought mine to the dealer for the re-program. There is a bulletin that applies to an intermittent crank but no start condition.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:11 PM   #10
The dog did it...I swear!
OffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: High Desert... land of junipers, sage brush, and lava rock
OffroadToy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
if your battery and alternator are good.....they may need to reflash the ecu. there was an "intermittent/extended cranking" tsb,a dn they reflashed the ecu to remedy it.
Yep, I had the same thing done on my 07 about a week after I bought it...never had a problem since.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:13 PM   #11
blazze2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblazze2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblazze2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblazze2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblazze2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblazze2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblazze2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblazze2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblazze2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblazze2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblazze2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

blazze2005's Tacoma Gallery
I went with the OEM Denso's from the dealer

When I removed the plugs from the engine, I found that the NGK plugs were in allot worse shape then the Denso's
Old 03-17-2010, 08:21 PM   #13
applawman will become famous soon enough

applawman's Tacoma Gallery
my 09 does this sometimes too. It seems to do it if I start the truck and don't move it, or let it run for just a few seconds, then when I go to start it again, it turns over and over, then usually starts and spits out a little puff of smoke and you can smell some burning oil coming from the tailpipe
Old 03-17-2010, 08:23 PM   #14
JayJay is a splendid one to beholdJayJay is a splendid one to beholdJayJay is a splendid one to beholdJayJay is a splendid one to beholdJayJay is a splendid one to beholdJayJay is a splendid one to beholdJayJay is a splendid one to behold

JayJay's Tacoma Gallery
You should Invest in a OBD II Code Reader , Its about 80 bucks .... it will read codes and reset them as needed , we use in the body shop all the time ..... u can find at local parts stores , like pep boys ,Auto zone .... Google it .... Enjoy .....
Old 03-17-2010, 08:25 PM   #15
Poodoo

luk8272's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by luk8272 View Post
Thanks for the replys. Battery is fine as is altenator. I only have 33k miles on my truck so I would expect the fuel filter to be fine. I would hope the fuel pump is also. Fuel pressure is fine while it is running and the issue happens at random intervals sometimes weeks apart. It also doesn't throw any codes. Since it was new this has happended maybe 5-7 times. Got the truck in 07 with 18 miles. I know the truck pretty well. Just curios as when you don't know whats wrong with it you start planning in advance for the day it quits and you can find the actual problem.

^ I already have that covered. No codes have been thrown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by applawman View Post
my 09 does this sometimes too. It seems to do it if I start the truck and don't move it, or let it run for just a few seconds, then when I go to start it again, it turns over and over, then usually starts and spits out a little puff of smoke and you can smell some burning oil coming from the tailpipe
Wow that sounds bad. I don't have that issue. Is it blue smoke?
Old 03-17-2010, 08:29 PM   #16
MarineTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarineTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarineTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarineTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarineTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarineTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarineTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarineTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarineTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarineTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarineTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: KC-130J Loadmaster
Name: Brian
MarineTacoDriver's Tacoma Gallery
They said it wasn't throwing any codes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luk8272 View Post

Edit: he beat me!
Old 03-17-2010, 08:29 PM   #17
applawman will become famous soon enough

applawman's Tacoma Gallery
Wow that sounds bad. I don't have that issue. Is it blue smoke?[/quote]

yeah, blue smoke. Did it on my 04 as well. And I traded in my 98 Tacoma for the same reason, minus the smoke.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:35 PM   #18
JayJay is a splendid one to beholdJayJay is a splendid one to beholdJayJay is a splendid one to beholdJayJay is a splendid one to beholdJayJay is a splendid one to beholdJayJay is a splendid one to beholdJayJay is a splendid one to behold

JayJay's Tacoma Gallery
if you had a OBD II code reader you can leave hooked all the time so when this happens you can read whats going on , if and when it throws a code ..... just a thought ..... Good luck .....80 dollars and you can read anybodies codes 96' and up and recoop some money or just be nice to people ,friends .... Works on any car 96' and up .... enjoy !!!!!
Old 03-17-2010, 08:36 PM   #19
Poodoo

luk8272's Tacoma Gallery
I know you said it smelled of burnt oil and smoked I was just curious if the smell was coming from the engine compartment or actually out of the exhaust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJay View Post
if you had a OBD II code reader you can leave hooked all the time so when this happens you can read whats going on , if and when it throws a code ..... just a thought ..... Good luck .....80 dollars and you can read anybodies codes 96' and up and recoop some money or just be nice to people ,friends .... Works on any car 96' and up .... enjoy !!!!!
lol, good call. I have my reader hooked up 24/7 it doesn't throw any codes.
Old 03-18-2010, 08:15 PM   #20
MarineTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarineTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarineTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarineTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarineTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarineTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarineTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarineTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarineTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarineTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarineTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: KC-130J Loadmaster
Name: Brian
MarineTacoDriver's Tacoma Gallery
Odd, I read this thread last night, this morning I had this problem with the startup, and again tonight after getting back from my flight.