Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Project Retro Grill

Old 03-17-2010, 10:18 PM   #1
Not your average girl
yotanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotanator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Small town firefighter EMT
Name: Katie
yotanator's Tacoma Gallery
Project Retro Grill

For a while now I've been thinking about attempting to replicate the 2008 SEMA Tacoma's retro style grill.

I began by using this Satoshi writeup:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...-write-up.html

Thank you, lifesaflaw123, for putting up a nice write up!

Just before the part for mounting the screen in the back is where I stopped. First thing I did was marked it where the cross members were to be mounted

The biggest problem was finding a material to use for the cross members. I had lots of ideas, but couldn't find one thing easily that would work, until I came across some wire molds in a hardware store. Bingo! The wire molds have worked well because they are light weight, but still durable, easy to cut, and don't require any welding. Here's a picture of the packaging:

I bought two lengths, cut each in half and laid them down, and cut them in the appropriate places, then used epoxy to glue them with a piece of tape on top to keep the pieces in place.

For extra reinforcement I cut extra flat pieces off the stock center part of the grill and used epoxy to attach them to the four joints where the cross members connect.

Flipped over

Next I used adhesive putty on the other side to mold it so it would have "rounded edges."

Sanded down the putty once it was dry a couple hours later using a dremel and and sand paper.

Cut the ends of the cross members and then used a combination of epoxy and the same adhesive putty to hold it in place and mold it.

Right now I'm waiting for the putty to dry so I can so a little sanding and then I will use filler primer and paint it black. I have ordered an extra Toyota emblem and will be adding that to the grill once it arrives.

Let me know what you guys think!
Old 03-17-2010, 10:21 PM   #2
Legend of the UG
Kappes03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKappes03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKappes03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKappes03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKappes03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKappes03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKappes03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKappes03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKappes03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKappes03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKappes03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Mike
Kappes03's Tacoma Gallery
That's bad ass, great work!
Old 03-17-2010, 10:25 PM   #4
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Hey Katie!!! Long time buuudy!!!! Nice project you got going on!!! Cant wait to see the finished product on your awesome SW Tacoma!!
Old 03-17-2010, 10:26 PM   #5
Not your average girl
yotanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotanator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by WW_FIREFIGHTER View Post
Hey Katie!!! Long time buuudy!!!! Nice project you got going on!!! Cant wait to see the finished product on your awesome SW Tacoma!!
Thanks, a bunch! I'll post more pics to this as soon as it's painted. Good to hear from you!
Old 03-17-2010, 10:26 PM   #6
DieselTech is a jewel in the roughDieselTech is a jewel in the roughDieselTech is a jewel in the roughDieselTech is a jewel in the rough

Name: Jeremy
DieselTech's Tacoma Gallery
I've wanted to do this for a while. I might try and tackle something like this too, I miss the old school grill, I wanna see more pictures once its done!!
Old 03-17-2010, 10:27 PM   #7
Prez of @battleborntacomas and ASSHOLE!
MOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedMOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedMOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedMOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedMOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedMOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedMOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedMOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedMOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedMOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedMOT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Daniel
MOT's Tacoma Gallery
WOW SWEET YOU GO GIRL!
Old 03-17-2010, 10:29 PM   #8
Mondwa is one of the sharper tools in the shedMondwa is one of the sharper tools in the shedMondwa is one of the sharper tools in the shedMondwa is one of the sharper tools in the shedMondwa is one of the sharper tools in the shedMondwa is one of the sharper tools in the shedMondwa is one of the sharper tools in the shedMondwa is one of the sharper tools in the shedMondwa is one of the sharper tools in the shedMondwa is one of the sharper tools in the shedMondwa is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Michael
Mondwa's Tacoma Gallery
Very nice i like it. Cant wait to see it all done. Great job with being unique +1 rep for u
Old 03-17-2010, 10:32 PM   #10
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by yotanator View Post
Thanks, a bunch! I'll post more pics to this as soon as it's painted. Good to hear from you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullzi511Tacoma06 View Post
Damn, that's a pretty cool idea! Can't wait to see how it comes out.
Hey is it me? Or does it seem like TW is getting more and more girls joining?!?! Woot Woot!!!
Old 03-17-2010, 10:35 PM   #12
needs to stop cruising Buy/Sell/Trade....
jefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sex Panther
jefferson's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to jefferson
thats really interesting! Great work! if the weld doesnt hold you could cut those plastic tube things longer and cut a hole in the grille itself and pass it through, then plastic weld it from the backside.. Just a thought

great work im excited to see this when its done!
Old 03-17-2010, 10:38 PM   #13
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
awesome, subscribed.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:45 PM   #14
Not your average girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by unholycumulus View Post
thats really interesting! Great work! if the weld doesnt hold you could cut those plastic tube things longer and cut a hole in the grille itself and pass it through, then plastic weld it from the backside.. Just a thought

great work im excited to see this when its done!
Thanks! Blackhawke88, suggested that too, but for whatever reason it never occurred to me. lol
Old 03-17-2010, 10:45 PM   #15
Bourbon
EquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Casey
EquinsuOcha's Tacoma Gallery
Nicely done so far!
Old 03-17-2010, 10:48 PM   #16
Junior Mint
BeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BeardedWeirdo's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome work! Subscribed.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:48 PM   #17
needs to stop cruising Buy/Sell/Trade....
jefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sex Panther
jefferson's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to jefferson
Quote:
Originally Posted by yotanator View Post
Thanks! Blackhawke88, suggested that too, but for whatever reason it never occurred to me. lol
Oh neat. =) It looks great so far! Just take your time and it'll come out awesome I'm sure!
Old 03-17-2010, 10:51 PM   #18
Not your average girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
awesome, subscribed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EquinsuOcha View Post
Nicely done so far!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardedWeirdo View Post
Awesome work! Subscribed.
Thank you all!
Old 03-17-2010, 10:53 PM   #19
Panda Jerk
THXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jacob
THXEY's Tacoma Gallery
that is awesome i may be doing this. i have an extra grill that i wanna satoshi.

definitely subb'd!!

Oh and +Rep for being unique!
Old 03-17-2010, 10:58 PM   #20
Carson is a splendid one to beholdCarson is a splendid one to beholdCarson is a splendid one to beholdCarson is a splendid one to beholdCarson is a splendid one to beholdCarson is a splendid one to beholdCarson is a splendid one to behold

Name: Carson
Carson's Tacoma Gallery
Wow! Can't wait to see how it comes out!!