Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Clutch Friction Point

Old 03-17-2010, 11:55 PM   #1
kram is a jewel in the roughkram is a jewel in the roughkram is a jewel in the rough
kram's Tacoma Gallery
Clutch Friction Point

Would someone be able to describe to me how to adjust the friction point on the clutch so that it engages closer to the floor?

I have another 6spd vehicle that engages much closer to the floor and everytime I get into it after getting used to the truck, I just about launch out of the driveway. I just want them to be more similar to ease the transition back and forth.
Old 03-18-2010, 01:00 AM   #2
Plannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
Plannerman99's Tacoma Gallery
I believe the piston behind the clutch pedal is threaded and you can add freeplay by adjusting the nut.
Old 03-18-2010, 03:17 PM   #3
kram is a jewel in the roughkram is a jewel in the roughkram is a jewel in the rough
kram's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the advice. I tried it and it worked to some extent. I was able to adjust the friction point much closer to the floor, however it also resulted in a very sloppy feel at the clutch, as it had to travel with little resistance for some way before it started pushing the cylinder in. I have returned it to its original position.

If anyone has any tips on overcoming this play, whilst still keeping the friction point closer to the floor, I would love to hear it.

Thanks
Old 03-18-2010, 03:33 PM   #4
YGWYPF
RainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Naval Aviator
RainDodger's Tacoma Gallery
Not adjustable. You're only playing with the pedal adjustment there and it won't effect anything other than how far you're pushing the clutch master cylinder. Where your clutch engages is only adjustable if you have a cable actuator, which we do not have.
Old 03-18-2010, 04:48 PM   #6
kram's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
Concur with above^ What kind of "other" vehicle do you drive?? Cause my sports car with it's 5 spd feels completely different...but that's kinda the way it is. Sports car trans versus truck trans are different...so is seating posture.
Just one of those things....at least imho.
Acura TSX. It grabs almost as soon as it leaves the floor.
Thanks to my URD short shift kit, the gearbox feels almost the same now, but I guess I'll have to get used to 2 clutches.
Old 03-24-2010, 04:00 PM   #7
Plannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
Plannerman99's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kram View Post
Thanks for the advice. I tried it and it worked to some extent. I was able to adjust the friction point much closer to the floor, however it also resulted in a very sloppy feel at the clutch, as it had to travel with little resistance for some way before it started pushing the cylinder in. I have returned it to its original position.

If anyone has any tips on overcoming this play, whilst still keeping the friction point closer to the floor, I would love to hear it.

Thanks
Yeah, that sounds about like the result we got with my buddy's clutch pedal. It's been readjusted back to the stock position because the play was irritating.